Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I still have NO IDEA what I want to do as a future career. I'm 16 years old now (17 in August) and I do well at school: predicted good grades for my Scottish Highers (A's). But I have no clue what to do afterwards. Well that isn't EXACTLY true because I know I want to attend university... But that is all I know

People say to find something related to my favourite subject - I don't have a favourite subject. My school is piling on the pressure in terms of 'oh if you don't know now, you're screwed'. I've tried countless online quizzes and tests to determine which careers would suit me but none interest me.

Any advice/resources/experiences/anything?

ReputationRep:
    Chill out. Im 24 and still have no idea! Just think about things you like or try something new and see where it takes you.

ReputationRep:
    dont stress, like above I have no idea what I want to do.

just relax and be happy, your brain is not developed enough to know what you want to do. Many of us dont know what we want to do though our entire lives

ReputationRep:
    Do physics, its great!:borat:

ReputationRep:
    Chill, Winston.

Your interests will change through university so there's no need to have an exact career path. It's great if you do, but don't worry if you have no idea.

I loved what I did for my degree but ended up taking a job in a completely different sector doing something I never thought I would do.

ReputationRep:
    Take a chill pill! Im 22 graduating and still pretty much have no idea what i want! I have a Job offer with Lloyds banking group which i am going to take for the moment but still dont know where i am going to end up! I dont think anyone is ever truly happy to be honest! But take your time and dont rush into anything and you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know what I wanted to do but I went to Uni and now after having various employment experiences at uni (that I wouldn't have had otherwise) I have a much better idea of what I want to do.

Chill out, go to uni, get involved in a few new things and I'm sure something will click

ReputationRep:
    stop putting so much pressure on yourself when I was 16 I didn't even know what day it was most of the time.

Try this free tool for some ideas

ReputationRep:
    Become a banker.

Everyone loves 'em, honest

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.