Turn on thread page Beta

help please - english PGCE interview! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I know there are lots of posts like this already but I wondered if anyone could offer advice?
    I have two PGCE interviews in the next fortnight, onem at Swindon SCITT and one at Gloucester, both for English.

I have tried for the last two years to get into teaching but get really nervous in the interviews. I have over 2 years experience of working in a secondary school as a TA, private tutoring and various work and placements within schools before that.

Without meaning to sound big headed I know I would be good at it, I just need to convince them of that! The question "why do you want to teach" terrifies me, as I struggle to put it into words, but there is honestly nothing else I have ever wanted to do. I love working in a school and that everyday is different and find working with students so rewarding. I guess I just answered it but do you think that will sound ok?

I have been reading up on key issues - SEAL, ECM, the curriculum reform, academies, the english baccalaureate and obviously am experienced in SEN. But is there anything I have missed that is subject specific?

I just really want this year to be my year!

Thanks, Katy

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I interviewed at a different uni to where you will be but at my interview I got asked questions like:
    Why do you want to teach English?
    What is English? Why is it important?
    How would you lay out your classroom? (Eg how would you have the desks? What would you put on the walls?)
    Talk about a really good English lesson you've seen recently.

I also got given 3/4 short extracts, one poetry and two prose, to read through then got asked to talk about one of the extracts. That caught me a bit off guard and I wish I asked for a little more time to consider them but it must have gone OK in the end as I got in!

You could also have a look over the KS3/KS4 curriculums so you are prepared to talk about how your subject knowledge fits into that and to be able to identify any weak areas that you will need to study up on before the course starts in Sept. But don't get too bogged down in the curriculums they are quite dull and long! Just get a general overview/feel for them.

Hope that gives you some other ideas for prep. My best advice is to go in there and be yourself. You are obviously very enthusiastic about teaching so just be yourself and it will come across in whatever you end up saying I'm sure

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateyl15)
    Hi,
    I know there are lots of posts like this already but I wondered if anyone could offer advice?
    I have two PGCE interviews in the next fortnight, onem at Swindon SCITT and one at Gloucester, both for English.

I have tried for the last two years to get into teaching but get really nervous in the interviews. I have over 2 years experience of working in a secondary school as a TA, private tutoring and various work and placements within schools before that.

Without meaning to sound big headed I know I would be good at it, I just need to convince them of that! The question "why do you want to teach" terrifies me, as I struggle to put it into words, but there is honestly nothing else I have ever wanted to do. I love working in a school and that everyday is different and find working with students so rewarding. I guess I just answered it but do you think that will sound ok?

I have been reading up on key issues - SEAL, ECM, the curriculum reform, academies, the english baccalaureate and obviously am experienced in SEN. But is there anything I have missed that is subject specific?

I just really want this year to be my year!

Thanks, Katy
    Hi

Congrats on getting an interview. The key is to just try and be yourself. If you get asked 'Why do you want to teach?' just answer like you have done on here. They are not trying to catch you out, they just want to see the passion for teaching which I am sure you have.

I have sent you a message with some more detailed advice.

Good Luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.