Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Through out my degree I got accustomed to writing assignments. Consequently, it almost seems like I have forgotten how to prepare for exams. My degree course did have one off exams here and there but it was mainly assignment based.

The problem is my post grad course is very intense and I have several open and closed book exams squashed together in one week. The question is how do you revise for these type of exams?

Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of subject is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suede)
    What kind of subject is it?
    Legal Practice Course.

ReputationRep:
    These are some tips from postgrad.com that should help you:

• Remember that the exam will be testing your thinking, analytical skills and understanding and not just your knowledge – so simply filling your answers with learned facts will not be enough to succeed in a written exam at postgraduate level.

• Revise and learn ideas, with examples to illustrate them, and with evidence for and against the idea (or model or theory).

• Make sure you know the main sources on each topic so you can indicate where the ideas have come from and who the main thinkers and researchers are in the field.

• Plan your revision to give yourself plenty of time to revise before the written exams.

• Do not rely only on lecture/seminar notes on each topic. Make sure you have read more widely and have included ideas from this wider reading.

• Make sure you know exactly what each examination will (and will not) cover. This should be clear in the course or unit handbook, but tutors should be able to tell you if you are not sure.

• Read the instructions on the written examination paper very carefully so that you answer the right number of questions.

• Read each question several times to be sure you know exactly what it is asking you to do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.