Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by AdamTJ)
    I didn't mean to suggest cost of living is higher. It's small and you can get around by foot for one thing.

I was referring only to college accomodation. Durham's is amongst the most expensive in the country and rivals Birmingham. I think an ensuite self-catered room at Brooks (Cuth's) is £4000 or more? Admittedly this is at the top end but it is quite ridiculous that a self-catered room should completely take up a student's loan (and then some).

Private accomodation is cheaper than London, which in this thread is what matters, but unless you want restrict yourself to a certain few areas (Gilesgate, Langley Moor, Crossgate Moor) then it's no cheaper than almost any other city. I think the student intake, and high cost of college accomodation, is to blame for this.

(Original post by lalilou)
    Final question.... (not to factor into my decision, just out of curiosity) How cold and windy does it get in Durham in the winter? Because it seems to be awfully north!!
    The country has more an east/west than north/south split. So someone from Exeter will find Durham colder (but drier). Someone from the south east will still find it slightly cooler.

You just need to remember that we're on an island in the north east Atlantic. The weather/climate doesn't change significantly from one end of the country to the other like some other countries but it is changeable.

The past two winters have been particularly bad everywhere, of course. But before then I don't think there have been proper winters. Winters everywhere have been getting mild. Usually they have been just an extension of Autumn, with a brief, but sudden, cold snap in February. In the winter of 2008-2009 it was actually London which saw more snow. I remember Central London grinding to a halt with one inch of snow and Durham was quite lovely.

Temperatures are generally around the same (couple of degrees cooler) than London. Being it doesn't necessarily see more wind, and it isn't particularly exposed being a city, but when the wind does come in from the north east it can give a chill. In other words, the difference between Durham and London can only be one or two degrees. But, when there is a north easterly wind, this can bring it down to usually four degrees cooler.

In short, there are many days when it's as warm, or warmer, than the south east. There aren't as many days when it's as warm as the south coast or south west. Temperatures are usually within a degree or two of London (not taking wind chill into account).

Once in private accomodation you might find it colder. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is significantly colder than back home. More that just your house back at home is better insulated. Not all student accomodation has rubbish insulation. Just most.

I can be in Durham during the winter and it'll be three degrees in my kitchen and six degrees in my room. Then I'll go back home, which is often a degree or so colder than Durham, and be too hot. Rubbish insultation :sad: Too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.