Turn on thread page Beta

Help - need to learn to play the violin watch

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, I talked my way into a band that are playing a gig to try and secure a record deal as the fiddler (violin player, for the more lewd among us) - I can't play anything on a violin, and the gig is on next Tuesday.

The song they need me to play appears to be a cover of this; what are my chances of learning to play the violin parts in a week?

ReputationRep:
    So you have never played violin before?
    Although the notes are very easy and simple (it does get harder near the end), it would be VERY hard for someone who has never played, to play that, with vibrato, and to make it sound nice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    So you have never played violin before?
    Although the notes are very easy and simple (it does get harder near the end), it would be VERY hard for someone who has never played, to play that, with vibrato, and to make it sound nice...
    I've never even held one. Vibrato?

It just has to be a one-off, their normal fiddler returns end of next week - they just need someone to play this gig with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I've never even held one. Vibrato?

It just has to be a one-off, their normal fiddler returns end of next week - they just need someone to play this gig with them.
    Yikes! erm.. sorry, but I would be quite impressed if you did manage too..
    How would you learn to play it? For example, how would you know where to place your fingers to get the right note?

Oh and vibrato is a technique where you sort of "shake"/vibrate your hand, to give it a better sound, but it takes months/years to master it... (so forget that :lol: )

ReputationRep:
    Yikes! erm.. sorry, but I would be quite impressed if you did manage too..
    How would you learn to play it? For example, how would you know where to place your fingers to get the right note?

Oh and vibrato is a technique where you sort of "shake"/vibrate your hand, to give it a better sound, but it takes months/years to master it... (so forget that :lol: )
    My cousin's sister (who is not my cousin - awkward story) plays the violin and has offered to teach me how to play that track.

Is it impossible or just unlikely?

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's sister (who is not my cousin - awkward story) plays the violin and has offered to teach me how to play that track.

Is it impossible or just unlikely?
    OH well at least you have someone to teach you!
    Well it's not impossible, but quite unlikely. :/ However you should give it a go, and see how it goes, you may have raw talent! It is a really big ask though, surely the other band members must realise that!
    If all else fails, maybe the "cousin" could step in for the gig if you don't want to let them down?

ReputationRep:
    Possible go for it, I found the violin very easy when I used to play it

ReputationRep:
    OH well at least you have someone to teach you!
    Well it's not impossible, but quite unlikely. :/ However you should give it a go, and see how it goes, you may have raw talent! It is a really big ask though, surely the other band members must realise that!
    If all else fails, maybe the "cousin" could step in for the gig if you don't want to let them down?
    They think I've been playing for ten years.

Cousin's sister doesn't want to do it - she's very shy, but a brilliant violinist and a good teacher too, I've heard.

ReputationRep:

Cousin's sister doesn't want to do it - she's very shy, but a brilliant violinist and a good teacher too, I've heard.
    :rofl:
    Can't you tell them the truth? i mean, i don't know how important this gig/record deal thing is, but if you end up not being able to play it, will it have a massive impact?
    I understand her shyness though! I am SO shy, hate solos.... but in an orchestra/band i'm fine! I don't really know hwat else to suggest.. but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    Can't you tell them the truth? i mean, i don't know how important this gig/record deal thing is, but if you end up not being able to play it, will it have a massive impact?
    I understand her shyness though! I am SO shy, hate solos.... but in an orchestra/band i'm fine! I don't really know hwat else to suggest.. but good luck!
    I daresay it means they just won't play tracks that need a fiddler - out of a set of five, they only need me for that one, so they obviously do have them. So I'll try and learn it and, if all fails, call in sick come Tuesday I suppose. :dontknow:

Thanks.

ReputationRep:

This would make a good scene in a comedy film. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It will take a lottt of timee good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why? Why would you talk your way into a band when you've never played a violin before? What sort of crazy person would do that?!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that! I'm not a violinist myself but I have heard it's one of the hardest instruments to play well and those that can have been playing for years.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is highly unlikely. I really wouldn't do it.. if you have said you've been playing for ten years it will be so embarassing when you are ****

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the violin is often regarded as one of the hardest instruments to learn. Not only will you have to learn how to hold it, you will have to learn the exact places to put your fingers (even half a centimeter to either side will result in a horribly out of tune note), how to hold the bow and how much pressure to apply. And then you will have to worry about how to make it sound nice.

OP, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is impossible.
    You cannot learn the techniques needed in one week.
    Vibrato, portamento, from the sounds of it playing in third position, and even things like a correct bow hold so you don't sound like a cat dying can takes years to perfect.
    And if you're not musical, I guarantee playing with other people will be the most difficult thing.

You will sound like someone who's been playing for 1 week and stand out and not help the sound as a group.
    Even if you do pull it off, what about next time they want you to play something harder?
    This is a very bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother, the notes sound easy but if you've never played before it will sound like a complete failure. Couldn't they just find another violinist if you tell them/pull out now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daaani)
    Even if you do pull it off, what about next time they want you to play something harder?
    That won't be a problem - I'm only playing this gig with them because the real fiddler had to go to his grandmother's funeral, he'll be back before they play anything else.

ReputationRep:
    That won't be a problem - I'm only playing this gig with them because the real fiddler had to go to his grandmother's funeral, he'll be back before they play anything else.

No way you can pull it off.

A violin, unlike a piano or a guitar, doesn't have any sort of guide for where to put your fingers. It'll take tens of hours of practice to even get it in tune, and if you've never played before, trying to do tens of hours of practice will make your fingers bleed. Literally.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.