Turn on thread page Beta

Help - need to learn to play the violin watch

ReputationRep:
    Just play a keyboard and set it up to sound like a violin. Problem solved :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the odds aren't really in your favour. I began playing around a year ago before switching to viola, and even with a bit of a musical background (4 years or so clarinet) and I still struggle with getting EVERYTHING right all of the time.

ReputationRep:
    no chance, i played violin for 5 years and it took me 2 to make it sound nice, even if it only took 6 months to learn all the finger positions and notes. violin sound AWFUL, like a cat dying, for at least the first few months of learning. just try persuade the cousin's sister\stick an ad on gumtree for a fiddler and give them £20 do it.

ReputationRep:
    This it totally illogical. Why did you offer in the first place? wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Possible go for it, I found the violin very easy when I used to play it
    Saw this and panicked because I've just started and I am RUBBISH

(Original post by frespanglish)
    Good luck with that! I'm not a violinist myself but I have heard it's one of the hardest instruments to play well and those that can have been playing for years.

(Original post by Lintu93)
    Yeah, the violin is often regarded as one of the hardest instruments to learn. Not only will you have to learn how to hold it, you will have to learn the exact places to put your fingers (even half a centimeter to either side will result in a horribly out of tune note), how to hold the bow and how much pressure to apply. And then you will have to worry about how to make it sound nice.

OP, good luck!
    Feel much better about my current standard after reading these two though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Saw this and panicked because I've just started and I am RUBBISH
    Sorry! I played from when I was seven until I was twelve, but I've always been naturally musical and pick up instruments very easily good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Sorry! I played from when I was seven until I was twelve, but I've always been naturally musical and pick up instruments very easily good luck!
    I think that's my problem haha, I am not at all musical, plus I'm not sure if it's one of those things that are harder to pick up when you're older? I'm determined to stick with it though!

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing the viola for 10 years (same sort of technique). And I can safely say, no chance. If you could play to that standard in a week, there would be no 'beginners' violin.
    You'd need to be at least grade 6ish to play it nicely (takes on average 4-6 years), and from memory, in tune, with a nice tone, and confidence. You need to get out of it! Can't you say you've got the flu or something? There must be a violinist around willing to do it!
    Whereabouts is the gig? If there's a local youth orchestra it might be worth trying to get someone from there?

ReputationRep:
    Again? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1399588

ReputationRep:
    I played the violin for 8 years and, like the others have said, i'm sure it would be impossible to learn it within a week. The violin, unlike the guitar which is much easier to self teach, doesn't have 'finger guides' and you have to remember correct the finger positions to sound right. There are also correct bow placements and vibrato.. which takes time to master.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we did it! As said, I was only playing one song (due to not having the real fiddler, they limited how much fiddle they had in their showcase, but wanted one to demonstrate, "Look, we do songs with a fiddle in them" to the record people) and it was a runaway success.

The band have their record deal, the real fiddler is on his way back and I never have to see them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Well, we did it! As said, I was only playing one song (due to not having the real fiddler, they limited how much fiddle they had in their showcase, but wanted one to demonstrate, "Look, we do songs with a fiddle in them" to the record people) and it was a runaway success.

The band have their record deal, the real fiddler is on his way back and I never have to see them again.
    You managed to play it? :eek: How'd it go? That's amazing hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfz)
    You managed to play it? :eek: How'd it go? That's amazing hahah
    Well, it obviously went ok because they bought it that I'm an experienced fiddler. The record company people bought it as well and the band got their deal, so all in all a successful venture although not one I'll be repeating.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's highly unlikely, you may learn to play the notes but the technique required to play the piece to that level takes years to get your head round, not a week!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it obviously went ok because they bought it that I'm an experienced fiddler. The record company people bought it as well and the band got their deal, so all in all a successful venture although not one I'll be repeating.
    Me thinks this is a troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    I think it's highly unlikely, you may learn to play the notes but the technique required to play the piece to that level takes years to get your head round, not a week!
    Really should have read the whole thread - the gig was Tuesday night and we successfully pulled it off.

ReputationRep:
    Really should have read the whole thread - the gig was Tuesday night and we successfully pulled it off.
    Whoops sorry, well done =)

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the trollness....they made an identical thread not too long ago....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viola146)
    Lol at the trollness....they made an identical thread not too long ago....
    agreed, having played violin for years i know it took me about a full year before i could play 'jingle bells' nicely and tunefully, never mind a week for that song :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I was thinking exactly the same thing! Who would be stupid enough to volunteer twice?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.