Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First off, I am well aware that is good for some things.... plastic surgery, super glue, medicine, aeroplanes etc etc etc...

I'm doing a debate for my sixth form and have to argue that "war is good for nothing," I was going to go along the lines that war is good for somethings but that is not worth the loss of life, but I don't really think that is sufficient

Any ideas? :confused: I would really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Human nature is for conflict, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Loss of life isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by pixiebot)
    First off, I am well aware that is good for some things.... plastic surgery, super glue, medicine, aeroplanes etc etc etc...

I'm doing a debate for my sixth form and have to argue that "war is good for nothing," I was going to go along the lines that war is good for somethings but that is not worth the loss of life, but I don't really think that is sufficient

Any ideas? :confused: I would really appreciate it
    Can't help you here I am afraid. There are to many things in this world worth fighting and dying for.

ReputationRep:
    'cos Edwin Starr said so

ReputationRep:
    War is just... good business

ReputationRep:
    Wait.. what?
    War is good for plastic surgery and super glue?

(Original post by NGC773)
    War is just... good business
    Considering how much it costs the countries involved, i doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    War is nothing but a means of sustaining land and power. It is a brutal act of savagery at best, and to accept it as a fact of life is to deny humanity the right to live in a free and peaceful society.

ReputationRep:
    We are fools to make war on our brothers in arms...

ReputationRep:
    war is here to stay, as long as theres men there'll be war

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth asking whether war really made those things possible or whether it simply made it worthwhile to invest the resources in them. Worse still it is an incredibly inefficient way of getting things done, were the scientific advances made during the second world war only possible because people were slaughtering tens of millions of their fellow human beings at the time?

It also seems to me to be an incredible waste of talent. For instance the Nobel Prize winning chemist Fritz Haber was involved in developing Chlorine Gas as a weapon in the first world war - surely the man who developed a process for fixing nitrogen had better things to do than finding ways of using a gas which effectively drowns its victims on dry land (it causes your lungs to fill with fluid) as a weapon.

Similarly a number of important physicists were involved in atomic research programs during the second world war. Werner Heisenberg (of Heisenberg uncertainty principle fame) was involved in Germany's and Enrico Fermi (both he and Heisenberg were Nobel Prize winners) was involved in the Manhattan Project as was Arthur Compton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)

Considering how much it costs the countries involved, i doubt it.

It might not be good for a nations fianances and society as a whole but war stimulates business and the economy.

I read a few months ago that a third of economic growth in the US during the Iraq war war attributed to military spending.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.