The Student Room Group

A family pet killed for the way it looks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by screenager2004
That is that person's own stupid prejudice. They are in no danger at all.

Worrying whether you'll be attacked because you see a scawy-lookin-goggie is ridiculous. The problem is prejudice from ignorance, not the dogs.

It's not a stupid prejudice, you fool. A dog is effectively a ticking time-bomb that could explode at any moment. And it's my freedom, and my right, and the freedom of every other human being, to not have to worry about being attacked by dogs that could kill them in seconds.
Reply 61
Signed the petition.
It's disgusting that an animal that has never harmed anyone or anything, and shown no violent tendencies has just been locked up and could potentially be destroyed.
Original post by Selkarn
Regardless of whether the staff is seen as a working class dog or not, it's a dangerous breed. End of story.

It's not a dangerous breed. It was a legally registered Staff. Judge the deed not the breed. Discrimination on appearances is outdated and immoral.

Your remarks about the state are ridiculous and stupid. I could say:

"WHY CAN'T I HAVE AUTOMATIC RIFLES AND NUCLEAR MISSILES? WHY SHOULD THE STATE HAVE THEM THEN? :frown:"

Bit of a poor comparison, Nuclear missiles aren't loving family pets that bring companionship and affection to hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. Staffies are.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way a dog looks is determined by its breed.

Obvious you have a poor grasp of breeding and genetics. The whole point about dangerous dogs is a supposed 'genetically inherited physiological disposition to violence' - not their physical appearance. Hence, if the decision to destroy a dog is based on appearance and NOT genetic heredity, (Lennox had no parentage from dangerous dogs, it was just too tall at the shoulder) it is not based on breed, but appearance.
Reply 63
Original post by NeonSkies
A person could snap at any point in time and harm someone else, but that doesn't mean they should be destroyed on a presumptive basis if there is absolutely no evidence of aggression.

This dog was judged to be too big which is why it is being put down, however there are many breeds of dog bigger than this one, which can become very aggressive when they want to e.g. police dogs so I really don't understand why this dog is being treated in such an appalling way.

If you don't like a dog, any other pet or person for that matter, don't let yourself or your children near it. Nobody forces you to be near them, so just avoid it.

Original post by balface
Signed the petition.
It's disgusting that an animal that has never harmed anyone or anything, and shown no violent tendencies has just been locked up and could potentially be destroyed.

It's not a dangerous breed. It was a legally registered Staff. Judge the deed not the breed. Discrimination on appearances is outdated and immoral.

So we should just wait until a dog rips out some poor kid's throat until we put it down? You guys are ****ing crazy and quite frankly, the obvious scant regard you have for human life disgusts me.

Hate me all you want. I dislike the treatment the dog has been given and wish that it be put down in a humane way, but I and everyone else has the right to safety, and I completely stand with the courts on this one. Good day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Selkarn
It's not a stupid prejudice, you fool. A dog is effectively a ticking time-bomb that could explode at any moment. And it's my freedom, and my right, and the freedom of every other human being, to not have to worry about being attacked by dogs that could kill them in seconds.

Then why only target Staffies?

There are larger, stronger, faster breeds of dog out there.
Why not rotweilers? German Shepherds, Alsatians, dobermans? Bulldogs? English Bull Terriers? Great Danes?
Why not all dogs?
Why not people?

Are we prosecuting people on a basis of potential to commit crime now?
That is that person's own stupid prejudice. They are in no danger at all.

Worrying whether you'll be attacked because you see a scawy-lookin-goggie is ridiculous. The problem is prejudice from ignorance, not the dogs.

When I see someone walking down the street with a dog like this

It would be incredibly risky for me to stay anywhere near those dogs. The owner obviously can't control them. So there are two options- either ban the dogs completely or make it harder for people like that to own them. The first option is the easiest and most probable option.
Original post by Selkarn
So we should just wait until a dog rips out some poor kid's throat until we put it down? You guys are ****ing crazy and quite frankly, the obvious scant regard you have for human life disgusts me.

Hate me all you want. I dislike the treatment the dog has been given and wish that it be put down in a humane way, but I and everyone else has the right to safety, and I completely stand with the courts on this one. Good day.

Is this not what we do with Humans? We don't charge someone with murder until someone has already died. That's the way the law works.

The fact you haven't addressed a single point we've made is worrying.
Reply 67
Original post by Selkarn
Aggression has nothing to do with it. Face it:

The dog could snap at any point in time.
The dog could rip out a childs throat within a matter of seconds.

I, and clearly the government, and many other people, have decided that it's a risk that we are not willing to take. Therefore the dog is put down.

Original post by Selkarn

So by this logic, you'd ban all dogs? German shephards and Dobermans are frequently used by the police as police dogs, but because they potentially could be dangerous, as they are dogs, should they be banned?
Should my Labrador be banned too, because she's a dog and could snap at any moment?

Not that I agree with the sentiment that Staffies are agressive, dangerous dogs, but for arguments sakes, lets say there are.
In regards to this dog, the dog of this topic - it's is a Labrador-Staffy Cross, who happens to look more like a Staffy. However, in cross breeds, looks don't always correlate to the stereotypical definition of the temperament of the breed. So although it looks more like a Staffy, it could (and from the sounds of it's past, no attacks/violent tendencies/agression) have the temperament of a Labrador.
Similarly, another Labrador-Staffy cross could look more like a Labrador but could have the temperament of a Staffy (which is interpreted by most people to be agressive etc).
Original post by NeonSkies
A person could snap at any point in time and harm someone else, but that doesn't mean they should be destroyed on a presumptive basis if there is absolutely no evidence of aggression.

This dog was judged to be too big which is why it is being put down, however there are many breeds of dog bigger than this one, which can become very aggressive when they want to e.g. police dogs so I really don't understand why this dog is being treated in such an appalling way.

If you don't like a dog, any other pet or person for that matter, don't let yourself or your children near it. Nobody forces you to be near them, so just avoid it.

People shouldn't be allowed to keep something capable of this
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23823523-dog-in-party-attack-had-mauled-another-child.do
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5683650.ece

Its like saying 'oh I have a gun, but don't worry, I would never shoot anyone with it'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lewroll
When I see someone walking down the street with a dog like this

It would be incredibly risky for me to stay anywhere near those dogs. The owner obviously can't control them. So there are two options- either ban the dogs completely or make it harder for people like that to own them. The first option is the easiest and most probable option.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Those dogs are the same as mine. Mine have never, and would never, hurt anyone. I've walked these dogs when I was as young as 12 years old - a 12 year old girl, yet never lost control of them once. They never escaped from my leash, they never attacked anyone else.

(Yes, this is my beach wear)

Spoiler

The thought that you stay away from these dogs is kinda funny really.
Reply 70
Then why only target Staffies?

There are larger, stronger, faster breeds of dog out there.
Why not rotweilers? German Shepherds, Alsatians, dobermans? Bulldogs? English Bull Terriers? Great Danes?
Why not all dogs?
Why not people?

Are we prosecuting people on a basis of potential to commit crime now?

I will firstly address your last point. Dogs are not people.

Moving on, I don't know the ins and outs of the Staffies but they have been banned for a reason. If you want proper reasons, go and ask the government or a dog expert. The only thing I can say to you is that as a fully grown guy, I would much rather face a doberman/bulldog/alsation/great dane in a fight than a staffie. I have personally seen, first hand, a staffie rip another dogs face to shreds, whilst me, the staffie's owner, and the other dog's owner, pounded punches and kicks on the little staffie. It only let go once it was satisfied enough damage had been done, and was completely fine. Therefore I'm hugely aware of the destructiveness and danger of such dogs.
I'm betting there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Highly doubt that councils that can barely fix potholes/other important things would be bothered to go around measuring dogs and having them killed.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Those dogs are the same as mine. Mine have never, and would never, hurt anyone. I've walked these dogs when I was as young as 12 years old - a 12 year old girl, yet never lost control of them once. They never escaped from my leash, they never attacked anyone else.

Spoiler

I have a pet lion. Don't worry, he is really tame. Just because a few lions kill humans, doesn't mean mine is violent. And because mine isn't violent, it means those ones over there couldn't possibly be violent as well. You want to stroke him?

Spoiler

Reply 73
Absolutely ridiculous.

Spoiler

Disgraceful that you have those animals running around. If I was with small children and was walking on that beach, there is a chance that your dogs could snap and kill one of the children. I'd keep them on a leash when people like me are around - people who are actually aware of their rights - because if dogs like that run up to me or my family in an aggressive manner, I wouldn't hesitate to snap their necks.
Original post by Lewroll
People shouldn't be allowed to keep something capable of this
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23823523-dog-in-party-attack-had-mauled-another-child.do
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5683650.ece

Its like saying 'oh I have a gun, but don't worry, I would never shoot anyone with it'.

No, not really. Guns are pointless as they give you a false sense of security that they will "protect" you in some way, however dogs are mainly for companionship and as something to look after.

If you are scared of dogs, stay away from them. Simple. It is not recommended that you let small children around pets anyway due to their unpredictable behaviours so if children were kept away none of these horrific injuries would happen.
Reply 75
I've been following that story for months now- it's absolutely disgusting and Belfast City Council should be ashamed of themselves :frown: There are posters and petitions ALL over Northern Ireland- not just Belfast, you'd think they'd get the hint stupid oule beggars.
Lennox is a beautiful dog and shouldn't be discriminated against because of his breeding. Everyone who knows him knows he's a kind, loving, loyal dog, just like, say, a border collie, but because he's an "aggressive breed" he's not allowed any sort of life! It's absolutely disgraceful.
Original post by imperial maniac
I'm betting there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Highly doubt that councils that can barely fix potholes/other important things would be bothered to go around measuring dogs and having them killed.

I was thinking this, why did they randomly measure this dog?
Original post by Selkarn

Moving on, I don't know the ins and outs of the Staffies but they have been banned for a reason.

Staffies have not been banned. Staffies are not pit bull type dogs. Staffies are a legal breed, and the 5th most popular breed in the UK.

Staffies are the ONLY dog to have the words 'totally reliable' in it's Kennel Club breed standard.

This was a LEGAL dog, put down because it was deemed unsafe by an UNQUALIFIED dog warden.
Reply 78
Original post by Selkarn

Moving on, I don't know the ins and outs of the Staffies but they have been banned for a reason. If you want proper reasons, go and ask the government or a dog expert. The only thing I can say to you is that as a fully grown guy, I would much rather face a doberman/bulldog/alsation/great dane in a fight than a staffie. I have personally seen, first hand, a staffie rip another dogs face to shreds, whilst me, the staffie's owner, and the other dog's owner, pounded punches and kicks on the little staffie. It only let go once it was satisfied enough damage had been done, and was completely fine. Therefore I'm hugely aware of the destructiveness and danger of such dogs.

Staffies have not been banned.

Quote from the directgov website;
"Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. You are allowed to own this breed of dog."

Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/DG_180098
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Selkarn
Disgraceful that you have those animals running around. If I was with small children and was walking on that beach, there is a chance that your dogs could snap and kill one of the children. I'd keep them on a leash when people like me are around - people who are actually aware of their rights - because if dogs like that run up to me or my family in an aggressive manner, I wouldn't hesitate to snap their necks.

Do you mind explaining the reason why you think there is a chance that my dogs could snap and kill someone? Or is it based on unfounded opinion and ignorance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending