The Student Room Group

Help

Right now I am in secondary school and i dont know what to do and the school deliberately does not want me to go to university, today i was informed that I am being withdrawn from Highers to Intermediate 2, for Chemistry, Maths and Physics, From maths I have passed all my NAB and prelim, from physics I have only 1 NAB to do and I have passed the prelim and with chemistry because I have failed 1 NAB i wasnt allowed to do a prelim. What can I do in this case and who can I get in touch with to get help. In addition the head teacher does not want to talk about this matter.
Original post by Dinshky
Right now I am in secondary school and i dont know what to do and the school deliberately does not want me to go to university, today i was informed that I am being withdrawn from Highers to Intermediate 2, for Chemistry, Maths and Physics, From maths I have passed all my NAB and prelim, from physics I have only 1 NAB to do and I have passed the prelim and with chemistry because I have failed 1 NAB i wasnt allowed to do a prelim. What can I do in this case and who can I get in touch with to get help. In addition the head teacher does not want to talk about this matter.

What reason have they given you for dropping you down to Int 2? How well did you do in your prelims? Seems strange that they would do this without involving you (at my school either our teacher or departmment head has to speak to us about it before any changes are made). If there isn't a good reason for dropping you a level, then I would get your parents to speak to the school.
Reply 2
They dont want to speak to the parents because they think 'I am a young adult' and they think that i am not capable of passing higher. They have made the decisions without discussing it
Original post by Dinshky
They dont want to speak to the parents because they think 'I am a young adult' and they think that i am not capable of passing higher. They have made the decisions without discussing it

Even so, get your parents involved. If they won't listen to you - and therefore not treating you as a 'young adult' - then you have every right to get your parents involved.
Original post by Dinshky

Get your parents involved. It is a common misconception that schools can actually decide what exams you sit. They might fill out the forms, but legally they have no power at all.

If I were you I would go over their heads, write to the head teacher or your MP :tongue: It may sound ridiculous but schools hate bad publicity.
Reply 5
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
They might fill out the forms, but legally they have no power at all.

What is the name of the form they fill out? What does it mean that legally they have not power ?
Original post by Dinshky
What is the name of the form they fill out? What does it mean that legally they have not power ?

Well I meant that usually your school enters you for an exam I.e on your behalf. But external candidates sit exams all the time, they just go through the exam board direct. A school can recommend for instance that an individual shouldn't do a particular exam, but many of my friends ended up sitting them anyway. The school cannot stop you from sitting an exam if you want.

At least they can't in Scotland. The trouble is that most of the time the teachers have a good reason to say you shouldn't sit. I would try an find someone who has actually been in your situation, since they will know for definite.
Reply 7
Could you tell me where this is written that the school cannot stop me from sitting an exam because school says that there is nothing like sitting the exam externally. But I dont know anyone in the same situation as me.
Reply 8
Definatly get your parents involved, and probably inform the sqa if u can, the school cannot prevent you from doing the prelim because you failed one NAB :s-smilie:, thats ridicilous!. and plus they are not abiding to the SQA rules. Hounestly hurry and get the parents involved and prevent this from happening because thats not right!
Reply 9
Original post by Babb_zz
plus they are not abiding to the SQA rules.

I didnt see these rules on the SQA website where could I find it because I cannot say that I know this from internet because they will simply laugh at me.
Reply 10
Original post by Dinshky

Personally, I would bring in your parents, if that doesnt work, iw ould head straight for the town hall and complain to them and the education people. Then bring in the lawyers and sue there ass off :smile:
Definitely get the parents involved. Get your parent's to arrange a meeting with the school. When parent's get involved the school's crap themselves because at that moment they can't bully you into decisions.

Really getting your parents to arrange to meet the school, with you, i believe is going to be the only effective option. You could also write a letter, or contact the head of education in your area ( local council etc) and inform them of this unjust experience, where you are given no opportunity to affect/ have any input into the decisions being made. By law and sqa rules, the teachers CANNOT force you to drop down to intermediate 2 unless you haven't passed the NABS. If you've passed the NAB's it is 100% the law/rules that it is YOUR DECISION which count's.

Alternatively, you could try contact the SQA
Oh yes, and in a similar situation, the school put my mate down to int2 English despite his plea not to. He got his parents invovled, and now he's back doing higher!

Parent's involvement will help, make sure you get your parents to contact the SQA and ask them about the different rules/ what advice they give for this situation so your parents can kick their asses if they start talking crap like " if we don't think he is capable, we will not allow him to sit it " <--- things like that they WILL try and say to your parents. The SQA WILL tell your parents that the SCHOOL CANNOT decide for you.

Good luck, keep me posted on progress
Reply 13
Ok I will indeed thanks for the help
Reply 14
What did you get in your prelims? :/ At my school, as long as 40% or above you get to sit the exam...
Reply 15
Maths ----> 52%
Physics ----> 49%
Chemistry ---> 48%
Reply 16
You should definitely be allowed to sit them then, you actually passed Maths :/
Reply 17
I got 37% in Physics and I'm allowed to do the exam. I can't believe your school would even consider dropping you with those results.
In all fairness if our school was to drop all pupils, in maths, with grades lower than you then about 75% of the cohort would be gone. Our school has the dropping grades at between 30% and 25% for maths and sciences, 40% for English and 30% for all other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending