Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My car is making a whistling/squealing sound (like a bird chirping). Its coming from the right side. It only happens after 5 minutes of driving, i.e when car is warm. It becomes louder as I am slowing down/deaccelerating.

Listen from 00:05 - 00:16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-4cWbkkWI

ReputationRep:
    Could be any number of things but last time I had similar it was a seized brake caliper piston meaning it wasn't relesaing the brakes completely - cleanup and new seals = problem gone.

ReputationRep:
    Welllllll

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a roller bearing

ReputationRep:
    something ceased in the wheel (like a bareing, brakes, etc...)
    if you up for fixing it yourself, take the wheel off, clean and re grease everything (aside from the brakes).

ReputationRep:
    You can replace the halfshaft, drive flange, tab washers, hub nuts and grease the bearings on a Landrover without removing the wheel!

In your case mate, jack the car up so that wheel moves freely, so when you re-grease you can make sure it turns smoothly by hand with no squeaks

ReputationRep:
    Hes not a referee, Drake with your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Drake?

ReputationRep:
    It's you raping your car up and down the M5!

ReputationRep:
    As I said in the last thread you posted about this, it's probably a warped brake disc or uneven wear/deposition on the disc. If you can tell us where it's coming from (as I asked in your last thread) then we've got a better chance of identifying the problem. RHS isn't much help - is it coming from the wheel? Does it go away when you put the brakes on? Is the frequency proportional to road speed?

ReputationRep:
    I get this regularly with my car. Something needs to be tightened under the bonnet... some kind of '-belt' where some air has got caught. You can fix it easily by yourself - no need for a mechanic.

As you can tell, I know nothing about cars.

(Original post by shark67)
    OP
    Edit... 'Power steering belt' apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    I get this regularly with my car. Something needs to be tightened under the bonnet... some kind of '-belt' where some air has got caught. You can fix it easily by yourself - no need for a mechanic.

As you can tell, I know nothing about cars.
    It's not an aux belt, which is what you're describing.

ReputationRep:
    Once you've driven the car a little bit, stop get out and touch the wheels. If you've got a brake binding one will be much hotter than the other. Infact, you may well burn yourself on the wheel if it's binding badly so just hover your hand over the wheel before you touch it - if it's going to be too hot to touch, it'll be obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey how many threads on the same problem!? Just go to a garage.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.