Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You can still go out. Lots do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Do you think you have the right to judge an individual? Do you think that you are on a par with the Almighty?

One's actions are to be judged by God and God alone. If an individual can live with something on his conscience, it's purely between him and God whether he should receive punishment or not - no one else. To suggest anything otherwise is verging on blasphemous.

Do you know how stupid you seem?

Here's a clear example - I see a muslim who drinks alcohol, do I keep my mouth shut and not judge him or do I say it's wrong and maybe try to advice him to stop drinking?

If I think what he or she is doing is wrong, I'm judging him, am I not? But I'm judging him on the basis that Islam, which quite clearly states that drinking alcohol is forbidden.

Not rocket science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Don't compromise on your values. Never compromise on your values, or you'll regret it.
    Or she might stop being so anti-social and have some fun.

Basically, I don't drink - and I don't like the entire clubbing thing (it makes me feel awfully awkward. Dancing makes me feel awkward.) but my problem is that my friends are all in halls quite far from mine (well, relatively speaking), and so it's hard to arrange things with them. And I have one flatmate that's constantly out. Basically, I feel lonely and I haven't managed to make friends and it's annoying me since the year's nearly over blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I don't drink - and I don't like the entire clubbing thing (it makes me feel awfully awkward. Dancing makes me feel awkward.) but my problem is that my friends are all in halls quite far from mine (well, relatively speaking), and so it's hard to arrange things with them. And I have one flatmate that's constantly out. Basically, I feel lonely and I haven't managed to make friends and it's annoying me since the year's nearly over blah blah.
    Join some societies or clubs.

ReputationRep:
    its not just at uni that ull come across such situations and yeaa there are muslims who do go clubbing drink etcc... but at the end of the day ur not really gna be judged by what others do or what they think.. its about what you do so follow ur values and dont compromise its what you believe in..m sure if ur friends respect u and are true friends they'll understand that u dnt have that similar interest to them but theyll make the effort to find something that u guys can do together and respect what u believe in.

ReputationRep:
    Your university experience will be what you make regardless of the actions of others.
    Your view on university culture is very stereotypical as most people assume that student lifestyle is drinking day and night, sleeping around, almost failing their degree etc but to be honest, thats just a part of it.
    There will be other people that don't drink or have casual sex for several reasons other than religion so you won't be excluded - its all about finding other hobbies and interest. If you surround yourself with good company then you need not to be faced with any temptation.
    There is no reason why you can't enjoy the university experience and still maintain your beliefs.

(Original post by loling909)
    Join some societies or clubs.
    That's my plan for next year (I'm already part of the paper and stuff - and intend to be part of the radio next year too).

I wrote that post in a moment of desperation/extreme sadness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's my plan for next year (I'm already part of the paper and stuff - and intend to be part of the radio next year too).

I wrote that post in a moment of desperation/extreme sadness.
    Bless.... Pm me when you need a lil e-counselling .. Happy to help

ReputationRep:
    maybe you should do a proper degree that occupies your time????i smell mickey mouse about

(Original post by Insomnia)
    I respect all aspects of my religion and think that there aren't any flaws with it ... I also respect everyone on my uni course who obviously do things that islam doesn't accept e.g consuming alcohol, casual sex etc ... These people are even my friends along with my muslim friends as I believe when living in such a diverse society there is definitely a need to integrate ... Problem is that I respect my values and don't drink, which is much of what uni culture is about ... believe it or not my muslim friends are all out there also which leaves me standing in such an awkward position .. I mean is clubbing, boozing, casual sex etc the only thing people have in common to talk about 80% of the time... What do you do in such a situation? You obv do get an urge to go out clubbing etc but my conscious wont let me because i kow its wrong.... This thread is by no means to hate on Islam (it doesn't promote killings and terror) etc .. Its simply here to show that there are muslims who are modern and banterful just not out there drinking like the rest .. This is what I believe seperates cultural differences .... Any advice would be great ... And btw I amn't a very religous person .. i just respect the values that i have learned from islam ...
    I understand just how you feel. Im muslim and actually wear a scarf, its kind off hard to interact with the people in my halls because most of them drink club etc. I dont even talk to my flatmates much. I would like to hang with them more but to them the whole university experience is about the nightlife :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    maybe you should do a proper degree that occupies your time????i smell mickey mouse about
    LOL, thats quite funny .. Probably doing one the most prestigous degrees out there buddy.. I'd take your comment back and well im sure you know where id suggest you shove it

ReputationRep:
    judging by how offended you were i would say your doing law but but feel the need to defend it so are probably at a poor uni awwww diddums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    judging by how offended you were i would say your doing law but but feel the need to defend it so are probably at a poor uni awwww diddums
    Hahaha .... You want to do law right ... Fix up your grammar and sentence contruction first ....

ReputationRep:
    tell me where your at...and be honest...

ReputationRep:
    Uni life isn't centred around drinking and clubbing all the time at all. I spend most of my time frequenting restaurants that sell noodles and watching whatever American TV series I can get my hands on. Oh, and occasionally doing work when the mood takes me.

Not everyone drinks all the time, most of my friends don't (and they're all English so it totally beats the stereotype). If you don't want that sort of lifestyle then don't partake in it there's plenty of other things to do!

ReputationRep:
    is anyone starting this year? do we have any bristol uni students?

(Original post by Insomnia)
    I respect all aspects of my religion and think that there aren't any flaws with it ... I also respect everyone on my uni course who obviously do things that islam doesn't accept e.g consuming alcohol, casual sex etc ... These people are even my friends along with my muslim friends as I believe when living in such a diverse society there is definitely a need to integrate ... Problem is that I respect my values and don't drink, which is much of what uni culture is about ... believe it or not my muslim friends are all out there also which leaves me standing in such an awkward position .. I mean is clubbing, boozing, casual sex etc the only thing people have in common to talk about 80% of the time... What do you do in such a situation? You obv do get an urge to go out clubbing etc but my conscious wont let me because i kow its wrong.... This thread is by no means to hate on Islam (it doesn't promote killings and terror) etc .. Its simply here to show that there are muslims who are modern and banterful just not out there drinking like the rest .. This is what I believe seperates cultural differences .... Any advice would be great ... And btw I amn't a very religous person .. i just respect the values that i have learned from islam ...
    If you aren't very religious, surely a drink can't hurt? And you don't have to shag everything that comes along, I've kept it to myself all my life.

ReputationRep:
    To everyone who has promoted the rules of Islam in this thread, I would like even one of you, to explain to me in detail why any one of the aforementioned forbidden things are actually forbidden.

It is not enough to have a do's and don'ts list.

And if anyone is thinking of telling me I shouldn't be questioning what is written in the Quran, go away right now. It is through questioning that understanding is born, and it is through understanding that belief is born.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.