Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Modern Muslim at Uni ..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millz)
    Lol, do not follow them. I follow my own life mate, to be honest; I find those who proclaim faith to be some of the biggest hypocrites. Life is a funny thing.
    Another kl story ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Oh ok, it just sounded like you also wanted advice from your original post. It would be nice to know what you eventually decide on doing
    Stay at home and spend most time with family!! .... Friends when I need to and at that it would be cines restaurant or something ... I do go on formal nights out ... Not so much informal ones .. Will check out a club once or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo112)
    I assume that the typical muslim, has strict parents, along with high expectations of thier son. Do a degree for honour.......to prevent honour killing. My parents will support me in any thing i do, and no i have no need to impress no one. I have no burden unlike the muslim, also when u finished ur degree its typical next stage will be arrianged wedding.
    Quite the opposite for the majority actually. Most of the time we joke about having strict parents but that's all it is. We have mutual respect for each other and my parents don't want me to get a degree for the honour, they want me to get a degree so that I can stand on my own two legs and support myself. They're not going to arrange my marriage and they're certainly not going to do an "honour killing" because that's not even Islamic? You're deluded bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Yeh they are, but you could not have chosen worse examples to make the point than Persians and Saudi princes..
    Good point, you are getting a rep from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    Stay at home and spend most time with family!! .... Friends when I need to and at that it would be cines restaurant or something ... I do go on formal nights out ... Not so much informal ones .. Will check out a club once or something...
    Sounds pretty much the same as my plans I'm not at uni yet but my uni is close enough that I can visit on weekends when things get crazy, but far enough that I can move out! You should be proud of your decision, well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo112)
    Just admit it, muslums cant have fun because they are restricted by thier opressive religion. You envy a catholic lifestyle. A fun day for muslims would be hanging about in a car park with other muslims comparing engine sizes of thier honda civics
    hahahaha good one! I recently invited my friends to an Arabic wedding which was being held by Muslims. They said they had the best time ever because they a) actually remembered what happened and b) got to dance, sing and chat with strangers without having to deal with a hangover in the morning. What's really sad is that you rely on alcohol as your social lubricant and method of fun. Soon your fun threshold will be so low you're going to have to batter your liver before being able to feel anything.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone here considered having a LAN party on friday nights ? xD

ReputationRep:
    I respect all aspects of my religion and think that there aren't any flaws with it ... I also respect everyone on my uni course who obviously do things that islam doesn't accept e.g consuming alcohol, casual sex etc ... These people are even my friends along with my muslim friends as I believe when living in such a diverse society there is definitely a need to integrate ... Problem is that I respect my values and don't drink, which is much of what uni culture is about ... believe it or not my muslim friends are all out there also which leaves me standing in such an awkward position .. I mean is clubbing, boozing, casual sex etc the only thing people have in common to talk about 80% of the time... What do you do in such a situation? You obv do get an urge to go out clubbing etc but my conscious wont let me because i kow its wrong.... This thread is by no means to hate on Islam (it doesn't promote killings and terror) etc .. Its simply here to show that there are muslims who are modern and banterful just not out there drinking like the rest .. This is what I believe seperates cultural differences .... Any advice would be great ... And btw I amn't a very religous person .. i just respect the values that i have learned from islam ...
    Hello there! Inshallah I hope this message reaches you in good health and Iman!

You're in a university - go and join the ISLAMIC SOCIETY as sooon as possible!

... and hey, if there isn't one - well you know what?

MAKE ONE!

Think of the barakah in that, ey?

Jazakallah khair for your interest and inshallah keep firm in your imaan and taqwah and increase your knowledge to increase these blessed human attributes too Inshallah!

Keep good contact and close friendship with other Muslims brothers! (or sisters if you're a Muslimah) So you contact with them results in developing a good character - like a guy who walks out a perfume shop smelling wonderful, unlike a guy coming out of a blacksmith covered in soot and dirt (ie mixing with people of bad character).

Wasalam and Inshallah may Allah (swt) the exalted most gracious most merciful guide us all as brothers and sisters in Islam and Humanity.

- Also try to keep all of your salah on time Inshallah it will result in miricles, trust me - and don't forget to make dua for yourself and me and everyone else in the Ummah Inshallah and for the oppressed such as the people in PALESTINE and Libya, may Allah (swt) guide them and keep them secure Ameen.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong about drinking alcohol, that's pretty dumb. I can understand your dislike of casual sex, but alcohol? Yeah, nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popinjay)
    There is nothing wrong about drinking alcohol, that's pretty dumb. I can understand your dislike of casual sex, but alcohol? Yeah, nothing wrong with it.
    I think the point is that it's bad for you. Remember, religion was made in a different time where they needed different rules

ReputationRep:
    i guess it is not depending on what circumstance your are having but it is much related to your religion, just keep the right things in your mind and lead your behavior, whilst respect the others' thought
    thats all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    I think the point is that it's bad for you. Remember, religion was made in a different time where they needed different rules
    Alcohol itself isn't bad for you. It's only bad when you drink too much.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol itself isn't bad for you. It's only bad when you drink too much.
    The benefits are outweighed by the dangers of it.

ReputationRep:
    I respect all aspects of my religion and think that there aren't any flaws with it ... I also respect everyone on my uni course who obviously do things that islam doesn't accept e.g consuming alcohol, casual sex etc ... These people are even my friends along with my muslim friends as I believe when living in such a diverse society there is definitely a need to integrate ... Problem is that I respect my values and don't drink, which is much of what uni culture is about ... believe it or not my muslim friends are all out there also which leaves me standing in such an awkward position .. I mean is clubbing, boozing, casual sex etc the only thing people have in common to talk about 80% of the time... What do you do in such a situation? You obv do get an urge to go out clubbing etc but my conscious wont let me because i kow its wrong.... This thread is by no means to hate on Islam (it doesn't promote killings and terror) etc .. Its simply here to show that there are muslims who are modern and banterful just not out there drinking like the rest .. This is what I believe seperates cultural differences .... Any advice would be great ... And btw I amn't a very religous person .. i just respect the values that i have learned from islam ...
    Hey, I lived with a Muslim guy for a couple of years. He actually drank alcohol, as did most of our Muslim mates. Didn't eat pork though. He didn't drink much though, but did have a hookah, which was fun.

But there's nothing stopping you going clubbing and having soft drinks there. I did to for a while when I was on antibiotics. You're not legally obliged to drink or sleep with someone from the club.

ReputationRep:
    make new friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    The benefits are outweighed by the dangers of it.
    Explain the dangers of drinking alcohol responsibly.

ReputationRep:
    Explain the dangers of drinking alcohol responsibly.
    Addiction which get lead to several problems

ReputationRep:
    im a muslim girl. 80% of my friends are non-muslims and i'm going uni next year ...moving out :s i already have experience about being around people who are drinking and i do not drink myself ..... and its not all that bad. once they get to that really drunk stage they do the craziest thing and then you can laugh at them the next morning when you tell them about the lampost they made out with or the baby swing they got stuck in........ (the best bit really :P its become a tradition)> in fact they are thrilled that i dont drink because even though im not a babysitter, they feel better knowing im there to make sure they dont go do something really bad.

And since they are AMAZING friends they only ever go out friday and saturday nights. otherwise they dont drink at all! just for me and we have TONS of fun! or they wait till i go off home round 10/half10 before they do out of respect. Maybe you should ask your friends to show a little respect too and just not go out clubbing some nights and do something else that dont involve drinking. its not hard...uni is not all about drinking and casual sex.

and dont give in!! stick to your values

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.