Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to go into the computer industry either working as an Networks manager, systems analyst or software engineer and i was wondering if there are any other qualifications you can get which are the equivalent to a degree
    I am currently in my first year of A levels and i am 'bright' i can keep up with the standard of work, and i think i could with university too. But i am interested in discovering other routes too

Neo didn't have a degree. He learnt Kung Fu using a computer too.

I think people always assume that you need a degree or equivalent to get into IT when actually graduates can find it very difficult to get a job as they don't have the IT experience or industry recognised certification. You should really consider an IT Apprenticeship like we at QA offer. The government are really backing apprenticeships as a way into employment as they can be even more effective than a degree.

If you want any info or have any questions, just give me a shout

Entry level jobs tend to focus on first line support, these will then lead to other jobs…If you want to be involved with networking or system analysis, you can always self-study and progress through entry level support roles gaining experience before moving on to different roles…

To get entry level jobs you need a combination of experience, qualifications and certification. The entry level certification can all be self-studied with Comptia A+ being seen as the main entry level certification, this will provide the knowledge for general support, comptia network + certification can give you the knowledge for basic networking, followed by Security+, which will help you gain some insight into security. These on their own will not get you a job, but combine that with a windows certification such as windows 7 support and some voluntary experience will help you towards putting your foot through the door. Volunteering experience can be gained from local charities or your local citizen advice; this will give you enough experience to make you stand out.

However, it can be difficult to get a role within networking and system analysis, as typically companies want experience. No sane businesses will let an inexperience person lose on their network, same goes with those with networking degrees; you need to work your way up within a business before your let loose on networks… The solution if you don’t want to go to university, is to gain the certs, you’re a levels and volunteering experience and work your way up through entry level support roles until you reach your goal…

Good luck

If you want to do software development (programming) then a degree is the normal route, it's hard to do it without. "IT" can be done with certifications (whereas software development is done by experience instead). If you want to be a network admin or something, then cisco would be the way to go, etc.

(I'm a Computer Science student who did software development [java server-side web stuff] last year on placement.)
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.