Turn on thread page Beta

Are They Getting Rid of Oyster?! :'( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    as far as I've ehard,The goverment have planned not to provide oyster from now on for teens in education 16-19 :'(
    This affects me a hell of a LOT. I am desperately hoping for it not to be true :'(
    I hate libdem&conservative!
    anyone know anything?

ReputationRep:
    care to elaborate on oyster? london rail? icecream? sea fauna?

ReputationRep:
    So you got free/reduced priced travel? Count yourself lucky, I had to pay £300+ for my bus pass two years straight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    as far as I've ehard,The goverment have planned not to provide oyster from now on for teens in education 16-19 :'(
    This affects me a hell of a LOT. I am desperately hoping for it not to be true :'(
    I hate libdem&conservative!
    anyone know anything?
    Bless this government. Another correct decision. I hope they do scrap it- why should London be treated differently than anywhere else in the country?

ReputationRep:
    oMG! noooo i shouldn't have given gap year :'9 if i didnt givve gap year then I would've had an oyster..next everyone my age will travel free everywhere,while i have to pay :'(
    please noooo this musnt be true :'( :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Bless this government. Another correct decision. I hope they do scrap it- why should London be treated differently than anywhere else in the country?
    Was this for free travel? We have one in South Yorkshire that lets 16-19 year olds in Education catch the bus for 40p and get half-price train tickets

ReputationRep:
    Good. Welcome to the real world finally. I paid for transport in London all through my teen years. Why can't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Was this for free travel? We have one in South Yorkshire that lets 16-19 year olds in Education catch the bus for 40p and get half-price train tickets
    Not sure if it was for free travel... We have that near were I live except you have to £1.20

ReputationRep:
    People all saying good, if it was you who was losing something, I bet you wouldn't be saying the same!

And how can people comment on something if they don't know what it is?

It is for free travel on busses and tram (but there's only one of them) (which would be £2.20 if you don't have one) and discounted travel on the tube. You have to pay £10(? it was when I had mine but that was a couple of years ago now) to get the oyster card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Not sure if it was for free travel... We have that near were I live except you have to £1.20
    Ouch, the max adult bus fare is £1.30 here on Stagecoach

ReputationRep:
    So not only do they scrap/reduce EMA, meaning people will have to use their household income to pay for transport to and from college, they also scrap methods of getting cheaper transport to and from college? Sigh.

I don't live in London and nor do I need help with transport (my sixth form is three minutes' walk away ) but I just don't see the logic in making it this difficult for people to continue with education.

ReputationRep:
    God I hope not, If they got rid of my oyster card I'd be paying £4.40 just to get to school and back every day on the bus, That'd be £22 a week. That's not even considering all the other buses I take to go other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    So not only do they scrap/reduce EMA, meaning people will have to use their household income to pay for transport to and from college, they also scrap methods of getting cheaper transport to and from college? Sigh.

I don't live in London and nor do I need help with transport (my sixth form is three minutes' walk away ) but I just don't see the logic in making it this difficult for people to continue with education.
    They have replaced EMA with another system, I don't quite understand it myself, I think the college/sixth form decides where/who the money goes to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    People all saying good, if it was you who was losing something, I bet you wouldn't be saying the same!

And how can people comment on something if they don't know what it is?

It is for free travel on busses and tram (but there's only one of them) (which would be £2.20 if you don't have one) and discounted travel on the tube. You have to pay £10(? it was when I had mine but that was a couple of years ago now) to get the oyster card.
    To put it into perspective though, I pay £4.70 for the train four days a week = the better part of £20 just to get educated

ReputationRep:
    They have replaced EMA with another system, I don't quite understand it myself, I think the college/sixth form decides where/who the money goes to.
    They have replaced EMA, but nowhere near as many people will be getting it and there's less money being put into it on the whole.

I don't understand why they couldn't scrap EMA and instead pay bus/train companies to make transport to and from school free for low-income 16-19-year-olds; it would get rid of all those 'oh, they just spend it on crack cocaine and shoes' allegations :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    They have replaced EMA, but nowhere near as many people will be getting it and there's less money being put into it on the whole.

I don't understand why they couldn't scrap EMA and instead pay bus/train companies to make transport to and from school free for low-income 16-19-year-olds; it would get rid of all those 'oh, they just spend it on crack cocaine and shoes' allegations :dontknow:
    Because money is also needed for books/supplies, I couldn't afford my books without EMA and lord knows my sixth form wasn't gonna give them to me! But I understand what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    Because money is also needed for books/supplies, I couldn't afford my books without EMA and lord knows my sixth form wasn't gonna give them to me! But I understand what you mean.
    Oh yeah, I definitely agree that people need to buy other things - to be honest, I even think it's fair to use your EMA to supplement household income generally, so if you really are broke and can't afford food/clothing/etc without it, it's fair to spend your EMA on those, even. But my school provides you with textbooks and supplies free so I tend to forget those

I do agree with EMA, but I think it'd be a decent halfway house if they scrapped it and made everything a student needs freely available to those with low incomes - it'd definitely stop people complaining that it's all wasted on alcohol or whatever rubbish people like to spout these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    To put it into perspective though, I pay £4.70 for the train four days a week = the better part of £20 just to get educated
    With this oyster card you have to pay for trains, only busses are free, so £4.40 for a bus there and back for 5 days a week (I was in sixth form the whole week) which would have been £22.

You can't compare trains and busses.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, do you have a source?

ReputationRep:
    PHEW! I'm 16 this year Ouch though.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.