Turn on thread page Beta

Facebook is a massive online surveillance program run by the CIA watch

ReputationRep:
    I just read a really interesting article and watched a video that talks about the possibility that Facebook was created by the CIA in order to be able to secretly monitor the public. It wouldn't surprise me if this is true. What strikes me as bizaree is why people on Facebook and so forth are so keen to publicise every event in their daily lives.

Facebook is a huge invasion into peoples' privacy. It was created and marketed as 'a tool to help you keep connected to your friends and family', when in reality the ulterior motive behind it's creators, the CIA, was to use it to secretly monitor the public.

This is scary stuff. But it doesn't surprise me. The internet has become too unregulated and too much of a 'free for all', and so the Governments of the world have created Facebook in order to secretly watch people. Unfrotunatey nobody seemed to realise this.

Have a look at this link to find out more....

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/21/fce...=Google+Reader

ReputationRep:
    There I was thinking it was a social networking website

Silly me. How naive to think it wasn't a plot by the CIA to run the world (as usual)!

ReputationRep:
    You know, whenever I feel like strapping a bomb to myself and blowing up as many innocent civilians as possible the first thing I do is advertise my plans to all my facebook friends.

ReputationRep:
    You say it wouldn't surprise you if this was true a couple of times.

If this really seems likely to you, you're far too paranoid for your own good. In which case the pic in my sig should scare the **** out of you. Better readjust the tinfoil hat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd_No_More)

Facebook is a huge invasion into peoples' privacy
    Yeah, because none of the information on there is published voluntarily...

ReputationRep:
    I don't use facebook. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Yes the CIA is very interested in what you ate for tea last night and what the weather is like. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Isnit doh! Osamma's on dere evry day bluud! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i recomend u watch the facebook movie LoL cia huh thats pretty cool facebooks for narcissists anyways and normal people too but overruled by narcissists lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Facebook is a massive profit-seeking corporate entity founded and run by Mark Wahlberg.[/
    epic

ReputationRep:
    People who believe in conspiracy theories are generally just too lazy to go to university/books and learn what's really going on. (So that includes me lol)

How would facebook provide useful intelligence? Think for yourself man.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is a massive profit-seeking corporate entity founded and run by Mark Wahlberg.
    awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I just read a really interesting article and watched a video that talks about the possibility that Facebook was created by the CIA in order to be able to secretly monitor the public. It wouldn't surprise me if this is true....
    I suggest you start wearing a metal colander on your head, to block CIA brain scanners and satellite surveillance. Also, wear shoes with metal soles to keep you grounded in reality.

ReputationRep:
    What? Really?

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is a massive profit-seeking corporate entity founded and run by Mark Wahlberg.
    Loved him in The Happening :mmm:

ReputationRep:

Have a look at this link to find out more....

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/21/fce...=Google+Reader
    Dude, I think they meant it tongue-in-cheek....

ReputationRep:
    The CIA genuinely owns shares in facebook. This is public record.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Why would they want to bother running it? It's not like Facebook would refuse an information request from the CIA if they asked...

ReputationRep:
    One moment, i need my tinfoil hat...

*rustling sounds*

Ok. OP, you seem to be making a rather weighty assumption with no concrete evidence behind to it. An 'article' might say X, Y and Z, but that does not necessarily make it true. Infact, the source you linked is one I am not familiar with, and as such I highly doubt it would suffer any reciprocation on the scale a large media outlet would if it were to publish such a story.

But ok, assuming Facebook is run by the CIA. So what? The question we have to ask ourselves is how does that possibly affect our lives in any truly negative way?
    Consider the following:
    -Most government agencies have access to your passport documents, copies of Birth certificates, postcodes etc. Hell, even this website has access to an email account which will trace back to you, making the expenditure on a venture as large as Facebook by the government a waste of time anyway.
    -You leave fingerprints all over the internet anyway, it is far more effective to simply trace your location than go to the hassle of setting up fake networking sites.
    -It is hardly cost efficient. In order to fund a venture that large, it would leave a considerable dent in the government finances, something which would cause ripples.
    -600 million people, approximately, use Facebook. Facebook is not going to provide an effective counter-terrorism measure if you apply a modest sense of rational thinking. What serious terrorist will post their bombing times on a public website?

But go back to the other question, even if this is all true, ignoring all the facts above. Why on earth would it be a terrible thing anyway? We are tracked a great deal already [especially in Britain], live and let live? Surely, the only time issues will arise is when you start acting out from under the law?

ReputationRep:
    Conclusive proof:

http://www.lamebook.com/fakebook/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.