Turn on thread page Beta

Bleak Future At University - Please Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a little long!

Last year, during my first year at university I failed a 100% coursework module. I consulted my university handbook which states that "Modules entirely based upon coursework do not have resits and must be retaken at the usual time in the following academic year." I returned to University this year to find that a retake had been scheduled and I had now missed it! They had e-mailed my college e-mail over the summer but I hadn't checked it, I didn't see the need to. I contacted an exam board member and he told me that I would now just have to do the course with the current first years.

I was waiting for the first coursework assignment when I see exam instructions have been posted onto the university website. There was no warning or any sort of communication to say that the module had changed and that now the module was done over 3 exams. I contacted the module lecturer who told me I had missed the first exam (worth 33% each). I attended the second exam and it went fine but I cannot say the same of the third exam. I was feeling very anxious about my last exam as I was under the impression I had reached an ultimatum and that things might not go my way. I could barely gather my thoughts during the exam and completely snuffed it despite being comfortable with the material.

The university states that you are only allowed 3 attempts at a module and then that's it, game over. Technically I've had 3 attempts but I feel cheated since I wasn't properly informed of any changes. I have passed every other module so far at university and know I am capable to completing this other module too. I am now feeling really anxious about this the situation and am absolutely terrified of the consequences. I'm finding concentrating on other things incredibly difficult whilst this is still on my mind.

I have explained all this to my tutor, an examining body member and the student help but none of them seem to be want to help - I don't see why they seem so keen to kick me out!

Is it possible to approach another university and say "Look, I've passed such and such but they won't let me continue - can I do my 3rd year of study at your institution?" or has anybody ever been in a similar situation before and managed to continue? I absolutely do not want to leave but feel as if I'm going to have no choice.

Any help is very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricPenguin)

Last year, during my first year at university I failed a 100% coursework module. I consulted my university handbook which states that "Modules entirely based upon coursework do not have resits and must be retaken at the usual time in the following academic year." I returned to University this year to find that a retake had been scheduled and I had now missed it! They had e-mailed my college e-mail over the summer but I hadn't checked it, I didn't see the need to. I contacted an exam board member and he told me that I would now just have to do the course with the current first years.

I was waiting for the first coursework assignment when I see exam instructions have been posted onto the university website. There was no warning or any sort of communication to say that the module had changed and that now the module was done over 3 exams. I contacted the module lecturer who told me I had missed the first exam (worth 33% each). I attended the second exam and it went fine but I cannot say the same of the third exam. I was feeling very anxious about my last exam as I was under the impression I had reached an ultimatum and that things might not go my way. I could barely gather my thoughts during the exam and completely snuffed it despite being comfortable with the material.

The university states that you are only allowed 3 attempts at a module and then that's it, game over. Technically I've had 3 attempts but I feel cheated since I wasn't properly informed of any changes. I have passed every other module so far at university and know I am capable to completing this other module too. I am now feeling really anxious about this the situation and am absolutely terrified of the consequences. I'm finding concentrating on other things incredibly difficult whilst this is still on my mind.

I have explained all this to my tutor, an examining body member and the student help but none of them seem to be want to help - I don't see why they seem so keen to kick me out!

Is it possible to approach another university and say "Look, I've passed such and such but they won't let me continue - can I do my 3rd year of study at your institution?" or has anybody ever been in a similar situation before and managed to continue? I absolutely do not want to leave but feel as if I'm going to have no choice.

Never heard of a 1% coursework. Pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricPenguin)

It's more or less your own fault for being irresponsible. You should have aced the remaining 2 exams.. and your 1% coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely that you would be able to continue at another institution.

You didn't check your email for an entire summer? Clearly it's your own fault that you missed the retake (and probably the first exam too)...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.