Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm not sure whether to firm KCL or UCL for History. I love both uni's and think that the only way that I can decide is by understanding more about the assessment and support. I understand that KCL you have to write 1 essay every 2 weeks, whereas at UCL you have 4-6 essays to complete for end of the semester. At UCL how much support are you given?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that UCL 'the world's 4th best university' asks for slightly less grades on average than King's College London (a sometimes overlooked university in comparison) suggests that KCL will almost certainly be better overall for History. When I think of History, I think of KCL as one of the very top alongside Oxbridge and Durham. It's not like King's has less repute based on age either- it's the older university.

This table backs that up:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

But it would be foolish of me to think that many people know or care about KCL's relative strength in this compared to UCL. UCL is rarely going to be sniffed at (except by me as I do not like the capital as a place to study).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I think the fact that UCL 'the world's 4th best university' asks for slightly less grades on average than King's College London (a sometimes overlooked university in comparison) suggests that KCL will almost certainly be better overall for History. When I think of History, I think of KCL as one of the very top alongside Oxbridge and Durham. It's not like King's has less repute based on age either- it's the older university.

This table backs that up:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

But it would be foolish of me to think that many people know or care about KCL's relative strength in this compared to UCL. UCL is rarely going to be sniffed at (except by me as I do not like the capital as a place to study).
    I'd say UCL. Looking at the league table you've put up. KCL beats UCL in only entry standards. Entry standards by no means prove that a school is better than another.

Similarly look at guardian's table:http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...history-of-art

If entry standards as one indicator show that one is better than another, there's no need for a variety of indicators in assessing courses. Both Guardian the The Independent rank UCL's history above KCL's. In fact by a margin of more than 5 points for guardian's. If the OP is looking for better graduate prospects, research quality, student satisfaction, then UCL is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugeneho)
    I'd say UCL. Looking at the league table you've put up. KCL beats UCL in only entry standards. Entry standards by no means prove that a school is better than another.

Similarly look at guardian's table:http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...history-of-art

If entry standards as one indicator show that one is better than another, there's no need for a variety of indicators in assessing courses. Both Guardian the The Independent rank UCL's history above KCL's. In fact by a margin of more than 5 points for guardian's. If the OP is looking for better graduate prospects, research quality, student satisfaction, then UCL is the way to go.
    Student satisfaction is a bit of a nebulous thing of course. King's College London hardly has a bad reputation overall for an enjoyable student experience.

Something must explain KCL's requirement of higher grades on average.
    Is it merely that there are fewer places there and therefore they end up with students with higher than average grades because they can afford to pick and choose a bit more? Or does the long standing reputation that KCL has in History make it attract more applicants?

I don't rule out some unrelated element such as more History students simply preferring to study at an older university - KCL is quite an attractive university I hear. There could be all kinds of reasons. There could be a particularly characterful history professor at KCL that people like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Student satisfaction is a bit of a nebulous thing of course. King's College London hardly has a bad reputation overall for an enjoyable student experience.

Something must explain KCL's requirement of higher grades on average.
    Is it merely that there are fewer places there and therefore they end up with students with higher than average grades because they can afford to pick and choose a bit more? Or does the long standing reputation that KCL has in History make it attract more applicants?

I don't rule out some unrelated element such as more History students simply preferring to study at an older university - KCL is quite an attractive university I hear. There could be all kinds of reasons. There could be a particularly characterful history professor at KCL that people like.
    UCL and KCL are almost exactly the same age. And in fact, KCL was founded in response to UCL, although KCL received its royal charter a couple of years before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    UCL and KCL are almost exactly the same age. And in fact, KCL was founded in response to UCL, although KCL received its royal charter a couple of years before.
    Based on wikipedia, UCL is older (founded in 1826) compared to KCL (founded 1829).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugeneho)
    Based on wikipedia, UCL is older (founded in 1826) compared to KCL (founded 1829).
    Hence 'almost exactly the same age' and not 'exactly the same age'..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of your really valuable responses. I suppose the question I'm really trying to ask here is how much support and guidance is given on the UCL history degree. For example, do they help you when you are writing your essays and are the essays set directly linked to your seminars and lectures?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.