Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go out with a best friend... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...or just someone you really fancied who you didn't have much in common with? Many of us are probably really good friends with someone who if we thought about it, would make a really good partner, but the thought of kissing them or whatever just feels really weird. Yet to go out with someone who is hot, but you have completely different views on things seems a bit daft. Yet I'd say a lot of us do this. What would you/do you do? If one of your best friends asked you out (the opposite sex if you were heterosexual, obviously, and vice versa), would you say yes, or is the friendship too important to lose if you were to split up and not speak to them again? Or would you say no because you didn't fancy them, or say yes to give it a go? Or would spending time with them be fine, but couply stuff be really awkward? Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why couply stuff would be a problem if its a close friend who you know and you like yourself, who asks you. It would basically be still friends except you can do more with them :ahee:

Personally I only go for women I get to know a little first but that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oranges)
    Don't see why couply stuff would be a problem if its a close friend who you know and you like yourself, who asks you. It would basically be still friends except you can do more with them :ahee:

Personally I only go for women I get to know a little first but that's just me.
    true unless you really didnt find them attractive. depends whether you'd base the importance of it more on attractiveness or personalities i guess! that's probably a good way round to do it... i guess i generally go for people who i haven't known for that long beforehand though

ReputationRep:
    yes. if she was fit.

ReputationRep:
    i went out with a very good friend, and the only issue we had was it was long distance, and we were young. i reckon if we lived in the same area and we tried it again it would work. i just felt so comfortable around him, and id known him for years. alot of it was how we met, so i had to feel comfortable around him... he NEVER saw me with makeup on, or my nice clothes, or my hair done. as we saw each other whilst camping... yet he still asked me out. just wish we were a bit older :/

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only because my best friend is pretty hot.

ReputationRep:
    Not if i spend a lot of time with them usually especially in a social group, things would never be the same after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilly87)
    ...or just someone you really fancied who you didn't have much in common with? Many of us are probably really good friends with someone who if we thought about it, would make a really good partner, but the thought of kissing them or whatever just feels really weird. Yet to go out with someone who is hot, but you have completely different views on things seems a bit daft. Yet I'd say a lot of us do this. What would you/do you do? If one of your best friends asked you out (the opposite sex if you were heterosexual, obviously, and vice versa), would you say yes, or is the friendship too important to lose if you were to split up and not speak to them again? Or would you say no because you didn't fancy them, or say yes to give it a go? Or would spending time with them be fine, but couply stuff be really awkward? Discuss!
    My ex was a really good friend of mine beforehand. We had feelings for each other for ages before we actually got together and it just fell into place. It can also be about right timing, because we tried it twice before and it didn't work before finally getting together and staying together for four years. Luckily it ended ok so we're still friends now. I think if it's awkward, and you both know it, if you ended it it would end well and you'd probably be able to go back to being friends. It can be a risk though.

ReputationRep:
    Recently my best friend started saying things like you're the most beautiful girl in the world :blush: not sure where this is going tbh.

I actually have a bit of a problem with this, If me and my closest female friend got together, then everything went to pot, i feel like a perfectly good friendship would be ruined.

Could you really break up and go back to how things were before? if it ended badly i mean

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is gay, so no.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly did, but he only realised his feelings when another boy showed interest in me, a bit like some werid hollywood movie really.

He didn't tell me, he just started acting werid and walked around with a face like thunder and wouldn't tell me what was wrong. He told me the feeling consumed him so much that he was having trouble doing stuff. I wouldn't go out with him because he'd only shown interest when someone else wanted me and that I was afraid to ruin our friendship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.