Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My BI is in the 'overwieght' category. I'm 17 and a half and would like to be slimmer and lighter by the time I'm 18. I definately want to be under 10 stone and am aiming for 9 - 9 1/2 by September.

Especially with summer coming up, I think this is doable. Student transport discount cards are being scrapped in the next few days so buses will be double, so I'll cycle. My sixth form is at two different sites so monday and friday mornings I'll cycle 2 miles to one school, at lunch 0.5 miles to the other school and at the end of the day the 2.5 miles home. On tuesdays and thursdays it'll be the 2.5 miles straight to the furthest school away and back home at the end on the day. occaisionally on wednesdays i only have to go to the slightly nearer one. Plus I go sailing (not the msot energetic exercise i know) plus rowing with the cadets, but i'm nearly a coxswain now

I make most of my own meals, during the week this is a typical days food; 7.30 am); small bowl of cereals and skimmed milk OR one slice of toast and jam and a cup of milky tea, 11am) a piece of fruit at break time, 1pm) wholemeal sandwich usually with salad and cheese inside or couscous salad, another piece of fruit and a capri-sun drink, 4.30pm) cup of tea biscuit and yoghurt, 6.30 pm) something like a stir-fry/ risotto/ pasta with a tomato sauce and veg (if i make it, which is usually 5/7 days a week it'll be made as healthy as possibly with as many portions of fruit or veg as possible) and maybe a cake or chocolate or fruit and custard later on. TBH I eat quite healthily but if there's a free cake etc going on offer I will nab it like todo when my friend gave away a 'squares' bar, so I'll try and not snack on anything unhealthy.

Any hints or tips from people in a similar situation or have been before?

Why have i been given negative rep for this? it's not as if I'm hugely obese, I jsut want any tips, encouragement or guidance and i don't need you dragging me down even more.

PLUS when i go to the new sixth form, we'll have free access to most of the sports centre next door, most of the time and the priciple has said we can go there is free lessons and lunch as long as we aren't late for lessons and any work that needs to be done is completed. I'm planning on going swimming at least once a week and me and some friends are going to do an hour of badminton at least once a week after school. It won't be compeltely finished by spetember but we can go to the bits that are finished. The only parts that i know we won't be able to go to is the spa and sauna and hot tub

ReputationRep:
    as long as you cut back on your calories, i've lost about a stone since the beginning of February by just eating less and going to the gym. I don't even eat particularly well i just eat less of it than i used to.

ReputationRep:
    One of the hardest things is that my dad really pigs out so we've always got crisps and chocolate in the house. I asked him not to and he jsut says 'well don't eat it' yet he keeps mentioning my weight etc etc.

I try to be healthy but if I'm hungry I'll snack on something. That's why if I do take the bus to school i only take what i need for my bus fare else i'll soend it on sweets or chocolate (But i hate walking so I'd always pick the bus over junk food.)

ReputationRep:
    Go to fitness, look for Powerlifters simple guide for the girls at the top of the forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    My BI is in the 'overwieght' category. I'm 17 and a half and would like to be slimmer and lighter by the time I'm 18. I definately want to be under 10 stone and am aiming for 9 - 9 1/2 by September.

Especially with summer coming up, I think this is doable. Student transport discount cards are being scrapped in the next few days so buses will be double, so I'll cycle. My sixth form is at two different sites so monday and friday mornings I'll cycle 2 miles to one school, at lunch 0.5 miles to the other school and at the end of the day the 2.5 miles home. On tuesdays and thursdays it'll be the 2.5 miles straight to the furthest school away and back home at the end on the day. occaisionally on wednesdays i only have to go to the slightly nearer one. Plus I go sailing (not the msot energetic exercise i know) plus rowing with the cadets, but i'm nearly a coxswain now

I make most of my own meals, during the week this is a typical days food; 7.30 am); small bowl of cereals and skimmed milk OR one slice of toast and jam and a cup of milky tea, 11am) a piece of fruit at break time, 1pm) wholemeal sandwich usually with salad inside, another piece of fruit and a capri-sun drink, 4.30pm) cup of tea biscuit and yoghurt, 6.30 pm) something like a stir-fry/ risotto/ pasta with a tomato sauce and veg (if i make it, which is usually 5/7 days a week it'll be made as healthy as possibly with as many portions of fruit or veg as possible) and maybe a cake or chocolate or fruit and custard later on. TBH I eat quite healthily but if there's a free cake etc going on offer I will nab it like todo when my friend gave away a 'squares' bar, so I'll try and not snack on anything unhealthy.

Any hints or tips from people in a similar situation or have been before?
    That seems okay and with the increased exercise you should loose weight but being healthy is the main aim, I would suggest you could visit your nurse/doctor and ask for advice, they'll be able to help. Also, looking at your food, just keep an eye on the little things, like get a sugar free jam, don't have the biscuit and get a low fat yoghurt and keep an eye on how many carbs your having, thats my biggest problem, I love bread and pasta so I sometimes eat far too many carbs in a day. good luck x
    p.s. try snacking on thing like carrot sticks etc not as nice as chocolate but much better for you

ReputationRep:
    I think one of my biggest problems fitness wise is that I'm better at and prefer the kind of exercises that bulk you up with muscle rather than toning down your fat. And yes i probably do lose track of the calories and all the little things probably do add to a bad amount, but I try. If I'm busy and my dad makes something like fish and chips, I won't put salt on it, and I'll microwave mum and me some peas to have with it to try and make it healthier.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mistake thirst for hunger when you feel peckish - you often just need a drink of water, when you think you need something to eat. Eat fat free stuff of course, lots of fruit, drink water, and try to avoid bread and things like mayonnaise.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, i do tend to snack but i think I should be drinking more.

ReputationRep:
    You could definitely shift the weight if you do proper diet and exercise. However, your diet is a bit flawed. If you look at it it's basically carbs and vegetables, you really want to get some protein in there (meat and fish easy examples). Not only do proteins make you fuller, but a good protein diet will keep more muscle mass on you while burning fat (as oppose to losing weight, but instead of getting more "toned", just ending up a smaller version of your previous self).
    If

ReputationRep:
    first of all, work out what your ideal weight should be. it's all very well guessing but you need to be healthy too!
    try this site: http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

i'd love to lose some weight, im 70kg and 5ft 8 but im also a rower so i have a fair bit of muscle. however, i HAVE trimmed up since i started rowing and that's not down to the fact i eat less (on the contrary!) but because i am so active. the key is to exercise! make it fun by joining classes like spinning or go running with a friend. find exercise that you enjoy. you lifestyle changes like cycling are great as it's all about a lifestyle change and not a diet which you seem to recognise.
    the important thing to do is eat properly though. if you do fitness like cardio 4 times a week and then a couple of weights sessions (lots of reps for toning) then you need to fuel your body so that you have the energy to keep up being active. dont cut out carbs but limit your portions (i eat out of a small bowl- that's just about enough for me as a competitve sportswoman, so should be plenty enough for you) and eat protein as it's filling. chose chicken and turkey for good low fat options.
    if youre active you can have treats and not feel bad. in fact it's important you do eat the bas stuff once in a while so you dont resent being healthy all the time. it's also important to maintain your blood sugar levels because often that's where people fail...they have low blood sugar and start craving so hit the biscuit tin.

id suggest the following: porrige for breakfast made with skimmed milk- it's filling and healthy.
    fruit at break time is great if youre finding youre hungry then though id suggest a banana. full of potassium, great for your mood and for suppressing your hunger as well as giving off energy. yes theyre calorific but if you have it in the morning then you have the whole day to burn it off.
    id actually recommend having your pasta at lunch because thats when you need the energy to get you through the day and it gives you a chance to burn it off. if not then wholemeal bread is great but fill the sandwich with veg and protein- protein keeps you fuller for longer. caprisun is loaded with calories but if you enjoy it why not. considered having a handful of nuts at lunch too? some dried fruit maybe?
    when you get in from school i know youre hungry, tea is good as liquid is filling but have some fruit with it or a LOW CALORIE cereal bar. if you didnt have it at lunch, how about some dried fruit? things like snack pots of mullerice are good too. low calorie but satisfactory.
    your dinners are healthy but watch the calories in sauces. cut out the cheese and eat salad and other veg to pad out the meals. also try a jacket potato with low calorie coleslaw or tuna with a nice salad. and fish like salmon is great for omega oils which has been said to help make you more intellifent! try rlly hard to not snack after dinner though, that's asking for trouble!

i used to not eat to lose weight but its not the way forward. eat but eat healthy. brown bread and brown rice etc are what you should be going for, avoid white. it wont kill you but it's not quite as nutrionally benefical. drink shed loads of water, fills you up, helps your muscles and brain perform and will leave you glowing!
    enjoy rubbish once in a while...why not...you only live once but watch alcohol. its a killer! anyway, everyone is different. this stuff is just suggestive!

ReputationRep:
    maybe dont drink the capri sun drink?i can imagine those to be quite sugary.Also you could do little things like switch the milk you have to skimmed milk.from what youve said though you sound really healthy so thats good you could try replacing your lunch time meals with something like slimfast milkshake and snack less!

ReputationRep:
    DW I love food too much to starve myself. I have skimmed milk with just about everything ie coffees, custard, cereals. I try and have protein in the form of eggs, low fat cheese and the milk seeing as I don't like many meats. I kinda have to have the pasta etc at tea time though ebcause i often end up cooking for my mum aswell, but I sometimes have it for lunch if it's left over from the ngiht before.

ReputationRep:
    Ggrrr, I had cereals and skimmed milk for breakfast, a plum at break, coucous and sald then an apple at lunch, a low fat yoghurt when i can home and now my mums gone out to get fish and chips

ReputationRep:
    haha enjoy it! its all very well trying to be a food nazi (which i think i came across in my first message) but its no fun. you have to enjoy your food. just make sure you work it off tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I know, at cadets people have sweets every night and people usually give me some.

ReputationRep:
    Easily done, drink water, eat healthy, cardio and weights.

ReputationRep:
    I know cycling counts as cardio BUT unless I get really sweaty I have to bike rather slowly. On the way to sixth form is uphill, 2 miles takes mes 20-25 mins, the 2.5 miles takes 25-30 mins (but that's cos between the two schools is a proper road, but 3/4 of a mile to the first one is over a field with a path that gets plowed over twice a year) !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_90)
    Easily done, drink water, eat healthy, cardio and weights.
    I would drink more water but TBH it's quite hard seeing as half my day is spent in a science lab and on monday it's a computer room, then a science lab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drumzilla)
    as long as you cut back on your calories, i've lost about a stone since the beginning of February by just eating less and going to the gym. I don't even eat particularly well i just eat less of it than i used to.
    Definitely this!

I've lost 21lb's in 7 weeks and I've been cutting back and exercising 30 mins per day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Definitely this!

I've lost 21lb's in 7 weeks and I've been cutting back and exercising 30 mins per day!
    It's ahrd to cut back on calories when your parents give you fish and chips for your tea. But i did have peas with it, no salt and no bread and butter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.