Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've posted threads about this before, but i'm still totally confused about what to do with my future.

My options have been narrowed down to these

> Zenos IT Academy - Not being too arrogant, but it would appear i'm if anything totally overqualified for this place, and while I do know someone who's been there, and recommends it, he now has a job in a Sky Call Centre, which is really not what i'm aiming for. At all. I can gain some decent qualifications from it in 5 months, £100 a week. However, by the same token, I could get a job, and just do those qualifications as night classes. Plus, i've heard more good than bad about this place.

> Apprenticeship - My choice would be in IT. Hopefully at a minimum of an IT practitioners Level 2. I would be essentially learning on the job, and hopefully be guarenteed a job at the end of it all. Hopefully. Would have to be a decent apprenticeship imho, because then otherwise I wouldn't get much out of it. I know that this would be the only way into IT, unless I did qualifications at night classes, because if I leave school, I won't be fully qualified in IT, therefore, i'll be at a disadvantage that way.

Another option with this would be a sales apprentice, and although it isn't everyone's cup of tea, i'm good at sales, and you can make a hell of a lot from comission in certain areas. Again, could do night classes to gain extra qualifications.

> Straight into work - I'm not sure how i'd feel about this. However, hopefully I would have 3 solid A levels behind me at this point, therefore giving me a stepping stone. I could quite fancy a job in sales as aforementioned, and I know certain companies do train you up, therefore no formal qualifications required.

Other Information:

A-Levels: Grades currently predicted.

Business & Economics - A
    Media Studies - B
    History - B

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeship or straight into work, but you may find it hard to get an IT job without experience if you look straight away. So apprenticeship is better I believe.

Zenos is NOT worth it. It's a waste of a few months, I've seen so many try and fail with Zenos, you get all of these 'Microsoft certified' qualifications which are totally and utterly useless - several friends of mine have the Comptia A+ as well as MCDST and struggle even getting an interview at Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n65uk)
    Apprenticeship or straight into work, but you may find it hard to get an IT job without experience if you look straight away. So apprenticeship is better I believe.

Zenos is NOT worth it. It's a waste of a few months, I've seen so many try and fail with Zenos, you get all of these 'Microsoft certified' qualifications which are totally and utterly useless - several friends of mine have the Comptia A+ as well as MCDST and struggle even getting an interview at Tesco.
    That's the problem in my opinion with Zenos. Yet, it's only 5 months. However, the qualifications are easily gained at a night class or something, and I could be gaining other experience through an apprenticeship. It's just about finding the right one though, that's the problem. I need to find the right apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.