Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does listening to grime turn you stupid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoginAccount Information)
    I like grime and im not stupid, yet... haha

JME, Skepta, Kano etc
    Skepta and Kano these days aren't grime, sorry

JME is grime but is a poor example

Most of them lyrics are probably too clever for most chavs TBH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Skepta and Kano these days aren't grime, sorry

JME is grime but is a poor example

Most of them lyrics are probably too clever for most chavs TBH
    Wow they is real bad boys holmes

ReputationRep:
    While I'm not especially well-versed in ghetto lore, Kano's early material surely transcends the genre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    Wow they is real bad boys holmes
    No not really, nor do they claim to be...

Just saying, alot of artists are actually very smart

Devlin a more mainstream artist is actually a very clever man

ReputationRep:
    Kano P's and Q's > alot of recent stuff

ReputationRep:
    It does tend to attract idiots to be honest. At least with a lot of other music, they singers can usually speak formal English, can't say the same about most Grime artists.

Then there's the factor of what it promotes. Usually guns, knifes, violence and sleeping with women. Not exactly great messages.

It's quite a narrow genre, with a lot of hype, shouting and anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Lol what. Also..grime was decent when I was 14. Im 18 now, it all seems very 'pop' like. If it went back to Roll Deep (pre-Big Money Sound, so like Shake a Leg), Wiley (pre- Wearing my Rolex), Ghetts (the first album only) and pretty much everyone pre-2008. Oh and JME, serious. That was the golden age.

I had my dubstep phase after Grime but then everyone started listening to it suddenly a million and one DJ's popped out of the woodwork so I'm back on to American Hip Hop. Give me Cypress Hill or Immortal Technique anyday over 'UK hip-hop' or actually, any UK music.
    Grime is not hiphop! I respect the good grime artists (I believe every genre has good and bad music) but the majority of it is absoloute *******s and Icant stand when people say its UK Hiphop. I would say that you need to broaden your horizons mate, there is loads of UK rappers who pay homage to both old skool US hiphop. Check out Rhyme Asylum, theyve collaborated with alot of US rappers. On the whole, I completely agree with your first paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    check out the new grime iphone app on the appstore- 'iGrime' it contains grime artists favourite quotes and twitter feed

ReputationRep:
    Well it's the 21 century and your still calling people :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so you seem to be pretty dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    Does listening to grime turn you stupid?
    I have never met anyone who is not a chav with no brains that listens to grime.

Discuss
    I don't think so!
    I often listen to grime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovegeography)
    I don't think so!
    I often listen to grime.
    You quoted a post from 6 years ago...

On the note of the actual topic... Assuming we'll get anywhere with it being so old, though I think the thread should stick around a bit, I mean, grime is much bigger now than it was back then, attitudes may have changed...

If you ask me, grime doesn't make you stupid, but rather grime attracts people who generally come off as stupid (mostly chavs).

ReputationRep:
    Only artists I like in grime:

Wiley
    Devlin
    Ghetto

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    You quoted a post from 6 years ago...

On the note of the actual topic... Assuming we'll get anywhere with it being so old, though I think the thread should stick around a bit, I mean, grime is much bigger now than it was back then, attitudes may have changes...

If you ask me, grime doesn't make you stupid, but rather grime attracts people who generally come off a stupid (mostly chavs).
    I agree with you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.