Turn on thread page Beta

Foot fracture (possibly talus)?? Annoying pain!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    For the past few weeks I've had a 'funny pain' in my front of foot/ankle in the arch/talus area. The pain mainly comes once i rest it after a walk, and it is really painful after a run, however I don't feel it while i actually do the exercise. It's also really painful as soon as I wake up in the morning then usually subsides after about 20-30 min. The worst though is at night when I got to bed, as soon as i lie down I feel a sharp funny pain in the area and at the back of my calf and in my thigh, but it mainly radiates from the ankle/talus area. It also clicks when i make circles with my toes/foot (which feels really nice for about 30 seconds after the click).
    I've had a look around the web and it seems I might have an acute talus fracture but I'm not sure. Anyone have any idea what it is, and apart from RICE is there anything i can do to help heal the pain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    For the past few weeks I've had a 'funny pain' in my front of foot/ankle in the arch/talus area. The pain mainly comes once i rest it after a walk, and it is really painful after a run, however I don't feel it while i actually do the exercise. It's also really painful as soon as I wake up in the morning then usually subsides after about 20-30 min. The worst though is at night when I got to bed, as soon as i lie down I feel a sharp funny pain in the area and at the back of my calf and in my thigh, but it mainly radiates from the ankle/talus area. It also clicks when i make circles with my toes/foot (which feels really nice for about 30 seconds after the click).
    I've had a look around the web and it seems I might have an acute talus fracture but I'm not sure. Anyone have any idea what it is, and apart from RICE is there anything i can do to help heal the pain?
    See a doctor. If you've got pain all the way up to your thigh it's unlikely to be a talus fracture, especially since you're running on it without acute pain.

ReputationRep:
    We have a national health service for a reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Doctor. No one on here can help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    See a doctor. If you've got pain all the way up to your thigh it's unlikely to be a talus fracture, especially since you're running on it without acute pain.
    Just got back from hospital, and was told it is a talus stress fracture. My foot and ankle is all bandaged up and i have crutches.

Looks like there will be no hill walking this easter holiday

ReputationRep:
    go to the hospital

edit : just saw your post,hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    can tsr not just make that an auto reply for everything thats posted in "Health" would save soo much time

and OP: ouch that sounds pretty bad! did the hospital say what caused it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    can tsr not just make that an auto reply for everything thats posted in "Health" would save soo much time

and OP: ouch that sounds pretty bad! did the hospital say what caused it?
    Well I've had it for a few weeks now so it was kind of difficult to pin point ,the exact cause, but they reckon it was a mixture of inappropriate footwear when walking (cheap plimsols from shuch) and mainly overuse. But I don't exercise anymore than I'm used to, and i wear proper running shoes when exercising so I'm not sure. Maybe i stressed it a bit whilst running and it's got steadily worse because i haven't rested it properly.

Edit: now that i think about it, I did have a small stumble a couple of weeks ago whilst running. I never fell on anything, I just landed on my foot awkwardly, but after a few seconds the pain had gone and i started running again. So i must have done it then, and it's just got steadily worse over the past 2 weeks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.