Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Kind of losing the point here.

The OP may get a cracking UKCAT score, simply because "it is not overly difficult" and because they have quals in Maths and F.Maths, however the UKCAT is only a part of an application. If the OP isn't sure and is having doubts, experienced interviewers and PS readers may pick up on this..

..OP, don't spend too long thinking medicine or not until you've done some more work experience. See if you can picture yourself in the shoes of a doctor, look into some Universities that have med courses. Look at the Uni's you'd apply to for Maths/Physics. Make comparisons between the two courses, the two careers that lead from each of the courses and make a decision based on time thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do in years to come...

Don't just do medicine because you want to do, or because you think it is a suitable back up. K? Schveeeeet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Haha okay.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    You cannot surmise from my post count the time spent in Lurk...

And no, but I've sat plenty of practice questions, included in which are those in the 600 book. It is not overtly difficult, and seems to be similar to the standard intelligence quotient test. And though it may be difficult for some, I'd expect those who excel at Maths, and have qualifications in Maths and Further Maths to testify to this, to achieve an above average score.
    That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard regarding the ukcat. That is not even true.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.
    Just curious, are you an applicant, current med student, potential applicant..? :poke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    Kind of losing the point here.

The OP may get a cracking UKCAT score, simply because "it is not overly difficult" and because they have quals in Maths and F.Maths, however the UKCAT is only a part of an application. If the OP isn't sure and is having doubts, experienced interviewers and PS readers may pick up on this..

..OP, don't spend too long thinking medicine or not until you've done some more work experience. See if you can picture yourself in the shoes of a doctor, look into some Universities that have med courses. Look at the Uni's you'd apply to for Maths/Physics. Make comparisons between the two courses, the two careers that lead from each of the courses and make a decision based on time thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do in years to come...

Don't just do medicine because you want to do, or because you think it is a suitable back up. K? Schveeeeet!

The other parts of the application are hardly insurmountable undertakings. According to his profile, he will have impeccable grades. If he has been considering medicine till this point, and has been considering it since he was 4, it stands to reason that he's considered work experience. PS is the part anyone can do.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, are you an applicant, current med student, potential applicant..? :poke:
    I will apply for 2013 with deferred entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard regarding the ukcat. That is not even true.
    What's not true? That it's an IQ test formatted with marginal difference?
    Abstract Reasoning and the rest aren't UKCAT initiatives
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Then reserve judgement until then. Don't belittle a test, while simultaneously belittling the scores of people that have sat it, before you've even stepped a foot into the exam room.

ReputationRep:
    The other parts of the application are hardly insurmountable undertakings. According to his profile, he will have impeccable grades. If he has been considering medicine till this point, and has been considering it since he was 4, it stands to reason that he's considered work experience. PS is the part anyone can do.
    You're a fool.

And, does this make you Year 11?:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Well, firestar, Iraqi parents so yeah. It's been partly that and partly a job that's always interested me. But while I feel like at the moment I'd love to do maths - I don't know what I'd do with it. It seems like all maths jobs are for statisticians anyway which isn't what I want at all.

Have any of you who have done medicine thought about doing other things?

And Ayshizzle that's not really very helpful advice.

@Stevecrain thanks for the input, I think I could get into oxbridge in maths - I do lots of things in maths at school - as many opportunities as possible, I get extremely high grades in maths/physics and so I don't see why not - but where would that get me?

I realise this is seeming a bit silly since most of you are med students! Sorry if I'm putting unwarranted pressure on.

ReputationRep:
    You're a fool.

And, does this make you Year 11?:lolwut:
    No. Deferred entry you tick a box.
    Explain to me why I'm a fool, and why a personal statement solely is going to reveal the more intelligent, or suitable applicant over the more deceptive or imaginative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I just wanted to know, did any of you guys have doubts about medicine before going to university? What did you do about them if so?

I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid; and I am now undertaking my AS subjects (Maths, Further, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) at a 6th form.

For some reason, as much as I want to be a doctor - studying medicine just repeatedly doesn't seem for me. My favourite subjects at AS are Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My very favourite being Further Maths. I have never enjoyed or been particularly great at writing - I am much more of a formulas and sums person (though I did get an A* in English Lit GCSE and an A in language so I'm not bad at writing) - so this makes me feel as if I'm more suited to maths.

If only I had as much job security with maths, I feel right now like I would do it in a heartbeat - but I wouldn't ever know what you can even do with maths - I just love studying it immensely.

Also, I know everyone says you have to think about yourself and not what others want, but I can't imagine how upset my parents would be if I told them I didn't want to do medicine. I've tried hinting that I may want to do other things but my mum just seems to get upset. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do in both aspects?

tl;dr - Wanted to do medicine for ages, I love maths though, need advice

Thanks!
    It depends, what do you actually want to do for the rest of your life? Would you rather be an ... accountant instead of a doctor? (example) I think that if you don't want to be a doctor (or if it's your second/third choice) to something maths-related, study maths. If you know you want to be a doctor, then there's nothing wrong with a doctor who's great at maths. Medical students (as well as other students) have varying interests, not just medicine. I wouldn't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is seeming a bit silly since most of you are med students! Sorry if I'm putting unwarranted pressure on.
    The debate has the new impetus of pre-freshers defending their egos, inflated as a result of their equating a medicine offer to a seal of superiority

ReputationRep:
    And woah - went away for a bit, posted my reply then a load more have turned up!

To answer some questions:

I have done work experience at a GP, am currently organising some shadowing at a local hospital and have just started volunteering in a care home for people with Dementia.

I always fluctuate with these thoughts. At some points I can't imagine doing anything but medicine, but then I have doubts and start thinking maybe maths would be more suited to me. I thoroughly enjoy solving mathematical problems, will go out of my way to do so - even optional problems (non-homework or syllabus).

But please do realise I'm not saying that my mum's the reason I wanna do medicine, I told her I wanted to be a doctor when I was young, mothers being mothers she loved that idea and has supported me all the way with it, both financially on doing things like courses and all the effort she puts in helping me get work experience etc. My mum isn't at all the biggest reason I'd want to keep doing medicine. I do love sciences and thought the application of sciences to helping people was something I've always wanted to do. I don't have any personal reasons for wanting to do medicine, I've never had a close family death or major illness (closest was a distant cousin I'd only met 5-6 times in my life who died at the age of 14) so I'm afraid I can't give a heartfelt reason as to why I want to do medicine. That's another problem, I don't know what I'd put for 'I want to study medicine because...' on my application apart from helping people who are helpless and having a great passion for science and academia. But people say these reasons are cliche, I don't have any others majorly :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The debate has the new impetus of pre-freshers defending their egos, inflated as a result of their equating a medicine offer to a seal of superiority
    No, it's the pre-freshers telling a secondary school pupil to shut up spewing crap. It's embarrassing for you to be saying 'the UKCAT is easy' when you have absolutely no idea what it even entails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Then reserve judgement until then. Don't belittle a test, while simultaneously belittling the scores of people that have sat it, before you've even stepped a foot into the exam room.
    I have noted the very-real similarities between it and other tests I have sat. This is not a point for argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    It depends, what do you actually want to do for the rest of your life? Would you rather be an ... accountant instead of a doctor? (example) I think that if you don't want to be a doctor (or if it's your second/third choice) to something maths-related, study maths. If you know you want to be a doctor, then there's nothing wrong with a doctor who's great at maths. Medical students (as well as other students) have varying interests, not just medicine. I wouldn't worry about that.
    That's the thing - I'd much rather be a doctor - but giving up maths just seems like something I couldn't do! You say there's nothing wrong with a doctor who's great at maths - do you know any outlet available in which I could do maths.

If only maths was offered as an intercalated degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    No, it's the pre-freshers telling a secondary school pupil to shut up spewing crap. It's embarrassing for you to be saying 'the UKCAT is easy' when you have absolutely no idea what it even entails.
    I'm not a secondary school pupil. As I said above, Abstract, Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning are not UKCAT exclusive methods of examination, as Decision Analysis is not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm not a secondary school pupil. As I said above, and repeated below, Abstract, Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning are not UKCAT exclusive methods of examination, as Decision Analysis is not.
    An exam is not merely a sum of it's constituents...

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing - I'd much rather be a doctor - but giving up maths just seems like something I couldn't do! You say there's nothing wrong with a doctor who's great at maths - do you know any outlet available in which I could do maths.

If only maths was offered as an intercalated degree
    I completely understand what you're going through, but I've very interested in linguistics I think, from what you said, you should choose medicine, but to be honest, I don't know how you could continue maths. Maybe join competitions or something (I'm thinking of Olympiad-type things). I'm honestly not sure, try Google? Or tutoring? Although, I doubt the level of maths will be that high when tutoring ...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.