Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so i have been prescribed basically week's full of tablets of penicillin (2 tablets, 4 times a day) today. Gutted, my birthday is on friday. Well i've been reading conflicting things about taking Penicillin and alcohol and whether it matters mixing them. I am currently recovering from tonsillitis btw. I mean would it even make much difference if i skipped a couple of doses on the friday and then start again on the saturday? or does it make any difference? :confused: It's Penicillin VK 250mg if it makes any difference.

I was saying earlier that we could plan a night out the week after, problem is no good nights that week and also well there is only 1 day i could do due to work and that is on the friday when everyone is going home/saturday :/ Been planning this for over a month, and it's a bit of an anti climax to see something like this happen. Also being my birthday it's a tad gutting. Obviously if i wasn't feeling better Friday it would be a different story but if i was completely, or even Saturday, it would be just so frustrating.

So what do you suggest? Obviously i am quite desperate as this is a bit annoying seeing how much everyone else has planned and been excited for this

ReputationRep:
    Penicillin is safe to take at the same time as alcohol. If you are ill though, particularly tonsillitis, it will do your throat no favours to drink heavily, but if you insist on doing it will not affect the antibiotics (but make sure you don't skip doses)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    Penicillin is safe to take at the same time as alcohol. If you are ill though, particularly tonsillitis, it will do your throat no favours to drink heavily, but if you insist on doing it will not affect the antibiotics (but make sure you don't skip doses)
    Cheers Would a 350ml bottle of white rum with mixer be better than just beer, as it doesn't have that many units in (like 11/12 i think). Or is that too much? Obviously i know it's not going to do me the world of good but as it's my birthday and things got planned in advance and people have fancy dress and stuff it would be a shame. And it would be nice to get a bit tipsy at least rather than be sober whilst seeing everyone enjoying themselves lol.

The doctor said to me i should be feeling better by tomorrow. And by thursday a lot better and feeling better by my birthday. The dosage just goes on longer to get rid of the infection completely as i'm sure u lot know. Obviously if i wasn't feeling better i don't think i would go out anyway, as i imagine that could make things worse drastically plus it's not fun when not feeling well is it!? I guess Saturday is also an option ...

As long as i can have a good night for my bday i could cope with going downhill for a couple of days anyway if the worst came to the worst :/ Don't want to spoil it for others for the reasons i said too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Cheers Would a 350ml bottle of white rum with mixer be better than just beer, as it doesn't have that many units in (like 11/12 i think). Or is that too much? Obviously i know it's not going to do me the world of good but as it's my birthday and things got planned in advance and people have fancy dress and stuff it would be a shame. And it would be nice to get a bit tipsy at least rather than be sober whilst seeing everyone enjoying themselves lol.

The doctor said to me i should be feeling better by tomorrow. And by thursday a lot better and feeling better by my birthday. The dosage just goes on longer to get rid of the infection completely as i'm sure u lot know. Obviously if i wasn't feeling better i don't think i would go out anyway, as i imagine that could make things worse drastically plus it's not fun when not feeling well is it!? I guess Saturday is also an option ...

As long as i can have a good night for my bday i could cope with going downhill for a couple of days anyway if the worst came to the worst :/ Don't want to spoil it for others for the reasons i said too!
    What jooni is saying is that by drinking, you aren't going to make the antibiotics less effective. You just might make yourself rough because of the actual alcohol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    What jooni is saying is that by drinking, you aren't going to make the antibiotics less effective. You just might make yourself rough because of the actual alcohol
    So drinking normally is ok? I doubt i would get smashed though, just a bit drunk. Basically if i'm feeling fine i will drink anyway, but i can see it being the Saturday rather than the Friday seeing as i feel pretty ill still today, but then again the doc said i would be. Thanks anyway guys, lucky i did check as my flatmates all were adament you couldn't drink with penicillin or any prescribed drugs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.