Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I got a call today about having an interview with JPM for Asset Managment, to be truthful I really felt I wouldn't get this far; I dont come from a top uni although im likely to achieve a first. It came to me as a huge shock, especially as I recently got rejected by PwC for Valuations.

My feedback from them was that my numericla/logical reasoning were fine, my written assignment was one of the best on the day, but i lacked taking charge in my team assignment, and my interview though very strong, and very relaxed I needed to focus more on looking at the interviewer (though i felt weird about staring someone in the eye for 40 minutes?!) and really understanding what PwC does for valuations.

I'm really looking to improve on that, I understand JPM is extremely prestigious and I'm fortunate to be in this position. I've read a lot but I really want to completely get to terms with what JPM do in terms of Asset Managment, and have a much better understanding. I know some of you will mock me and say I shouldn't even be this far if I don't know what they do, but I'm sure some of the more mature and experienced members in this could help me out.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean what they do? they manage assets... I'm sure their website/ annual report has breakdowns of their AUM across different asset classes, and other useful facts like whether their assets across asset class x are FoF or straight investments. Unless you have a more specific question, don't be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being lazy. It's jsut I understood what Valuations was, I knew everything on the PwC site, yet they said I didn't have specific knowledge! I just want to be so prepared for this Interview.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's being lazy. You want "specific" knowledge without specifying what exactly you want. Kind of impossible to provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    I'm not being lazy. It's jsut I understood what Valuations was, I knew everything on the PwC site, yet they said I didn't have specific knowledge! I just want to be so prepared for this Interview.
    It can be tough sometimes to show that you have knowledge, especially when you feel that you have researched your but off.

Usually I like to pick out some highlights that apply specifically to that department. I'm looking at p45 of the 2009 annual report, and there are a good few awards and rankings for JPM asset management. Also the asset management section on the website is quite extensive.

If you really feel that you have the basics down, i.e. knowing what asset management is, then the best you can do is try to learn about JPM asset management in particular. What makes them different, awards, rankings. This should all be available on their website.

ReputationRep:
    a quick google search would also bring up an article on efn about bank owned AM firms with some interesting facts

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you! I get what you mean Teenage, I'm sorry I cant be more specific! I'll go look at all of this before my interview! Thanks again guys.

ReputationRep:
    Also is it worth mentioning that my mother was part of the UK Guilt Market Makers after the big bang at JPM? or should i not mention that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    Also is it worth mentioning that my mother was part of the UK Guilt Market Makers after the big bang at JPM? or should i not mention that?
    Congrats on the interview. JPM is one of the leading managers in the world, and you've done well to get shortlisted.

They have a variety of different strategies, and cover nearly every asset class. The little I do know about them is that a lot of their actual research is done in NYC, with a lot of their client-facing business in London and Geneva.

I would look at their website and annual report. There's plenty of information there on their strategies and performance in recent years. I would also look into their Private Banking division as a lot of the work the Asset Management division does coincides with the Private Bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Congrats on the interview. JPM is one of the leading managers in the world, and you've done well to get shortlisted.

They have a variety of different strategies, and cover nearly every asset class. The little I do know about them is that a lot of their actual research is done in NYC, with a lot of their client-facing business in London and Geneva.

I would look at their website and annual report. There's plenty of information there on their strategies and performance in recent years. I would also look into their Private Banking division as a lot of the work the Asset Management division does coincides with the Private Bank.
    ty for the words of advice.

I got my offer yesterday. So will be there this summer! Though i'll be rotating, i'll be on the client service area, what do you think ? I mean it sounds interesting and i'll be learning a lot about JPM AM, but i'd really wanted to see myself with a more, 'financial' aspect.

But coming from a non-target university I'm just lucky to have this position. What would you say is the best for me when i go to graduate, PwC are urging me to apply for their Valuations Graduate scheme, but do you think I'll be able to move towards IB/S&T within JPM or will i kinda be locked to client services. I mean i'd love to stay with AM but have a role with the finances rather than 'client services'; what do you think?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.