Turn on thread page Beta

Should I Get Facebook? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Facebook is pretty useful for organising / managing events but, apart from that, it's annoying as hell and consumes far too much of my time (though I'm not sure how, when sod all happens on there - bar people whining about life). :erm:
    Im exactly the same - Facebook literally eats time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    This not you?
    Identity Fraud!

Thanks for all the responses, clearly there are massive pro's and con's but I guess I'll just give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone at university has it, by any means, but it is accepted as a kind of norm that you do. I would sign up for it and see how you find the site - it is entirely up to you how much information you add to your profile and how much time you spend on there.

For all that gets said about Facebook being an invasion of privacy and a waste of time, there are some useful and quite uplifting aspects to it. It can be very difficult when people move on, for example, but with an account on there - well, it's nice to see how they are doing somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    If this is the real Mr Blobby, then ****ing right you should make one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Facebook is pretty useful for organising / managing events but, apart from that, it's annoying as hell and consumes far too much of my time (though I'm not sure how, when sod all happens on there - bar people whining about life). :erm:
    Welcome to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    Welcome to TSR.
    With Facebook and TSR it's a wonder I ever get anything done... :p:

ReputationRep:
    no, it will take over your time, it is useless. people who you want to contact/ want to contact you can phone/email/text/bbm

ReputationRep:
    I would get it. I never used it until I went to university, but it makes it a lot easier to contact people in your building/course without having to scour the campus for them and ask for their number. On that note you don't have to give your own number out to large groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    if you get it, do so at the beginning of summer, when all your work is done! that way if you get addicted, it can wear off before september/october
    that is, if you get addicted !

ReputationRep:
    If you have good will power and don't give into procrastination go for it.
    It can be soul destroying. And is the biggest waste of time. I've just deactivated mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Blobby)
    Basically, I have held off the advances of all my friends who really want me to sign up to Facebook.

I have also been told that it is a necessity for social arrangements at uni etc. by older siblings but I want to maintain with my stubborness.

Any advice? x.x
    theres no real reason to not have facebook. If you dont like all the **** that comes with it, then go on it once a day to check if anything important has happened. seriously at uni you will be out of the loop if you dont have facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Blobby)
    Basically, I have held off the advances of all my friends who really want me to sign up to Facebook.

I have also been told that it is a necessity for social arrangements at uni etc. by older siblings but I want to maintain with my stubborness.

Any advice? x.x
    Unless you get addicted with facebook, its fine to have it. But make sure the purpose you use it for is the right one. Use it just to find out what friends are doing and to organise stuff with friends. Last year we organised a trip to Thorpe Park through facebook and everything went perfect because we had contacted every1 and told every1 what to do and what time and where to meet and everything.

I would say get it, but don't overuse it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.