Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a list of vocab to translate to English, the context is politics if that makes a difference. I've done the rest and have tried googling these but haven't got very far...

Attaque au faciès
    Beaufisme
    Boboisme

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The last two are derived from slang words:
    beauf = a reactionary, jingoistic or racist person
    bobo = bourgeois bohemian (basically, hipster)

"Attaque au faciès" is trickier. It refers to some sort of attack on racial groups, I guess. "Faciès" refers to characteristic by which something is identified (eg. in science, as well as physionomy), but is used in expressions referring to race. I've seen "racial profiling" translated as "délit de faciès".

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Will +rep tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of these words in my entire life....

There is "délit de faciès" though, that's much more common. "Faciès" is the face and facial features. Délit is an offense.
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=462835

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    I have never heard of these words in my entire life....

There is "délit de faciès" though, that's much more common. "Faciès" is the face and facial features. Délit is an offense.
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=462835
    Thanks Yeah neither had I (or anyone I saw at uni today!) but they were set by a native speaker and I guess they're just not used that much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    Thanks Yeah neither had I (or anyone I saw at uni today!) but they were set by a native speaker and I guess they're just not used that much...
    Well, considering I've lived 20 years in France, I can assure you they're never used!

As I said, Délit de faciès is common to mock some people's racist behaviour. Never heard of Attaque au faciès; it actually doesn't make sense when I think about it, unless it means something along the lines of attaque au visage.

Though I've never heard of beaufisme either, beauf is a common derogatory term that represents the kind of lazy, stupid, dumb male. Associated activities are eating pizza and drinking beer in front of the TV all day for instance. Chauvinism and racism is sometimes added to the mix.

I had never heard of boboisme nor bobo in this context, it can also mean a light injury in a childish speech but it's much more common as in I doubt you'll find people who don't know what it means, but as a google search displays a few hits I guess it exists...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    Well, considering I've lived 20 years in France, I can assure you they're never used!

As I said, Délit de faciès is common to mock some people's racist behaviour. Never heard of Attaque au faciès; it actually doesn't make sense when I think about it, unless it means something along the lines of attaque au visage.

Though I've never heard of beaufisme either, beauf is a common derogatory term that represents the kind of lazy, stupid, dumb male. Associated activities are eating pizza and drinking beer in front of the TV all day for instance. Chauvinism and racism is sometimes added to the mix.

I had never heard of boboisme nor bobo in this context, it can also mean a light injury in a childish speech but it's much more common as in I doubt you'll find people who don't know what it means, but as a google search displays a few hits I guess it exists...
    Lol I didn't see your location! Well I had no idea about any of them but my tutor thinks they exist. With the -isme ending, the last two must just refer to a general state/trend of being 'beauf' or 'bobo' (as defined by the other poster). What you said about 'délit de faciès' might relate to 'attaque au faciès', the whole thing was to do with Dieudonné.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.