Turn on thread page Beta

Greatest Irony in history? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesobel)
    that Hitler thought that Aryan's were the supreme race... yet he was not Aryan or even from Germany... oh dear.
    Apparently there were different kind of aryans which supplemented Austrians as well. the blond kid was just a Hitler Jugend advertisement. So its not ironic.

Britain promoted free trade of opium in China but it's illegal here...

ReputationRep:
    The US having tons of nuclear weapons (16,000 +) compared to the 6 the DPRK has. The US wants a nuclear free world (wehere, I'm guessing, it has all the weapons for 'defensive' purposes..).
    IRONY

ReputationRep:
    Those who spoke about Firtz Haber. It is EVEN more ironic that after helping Germany (arguably among those who raised Germany the most in those times) and help save the world he had to leave Germany due to anti-semitism... :O

ReputationRep:
    That Israel was founded out of sympathy from the genocide and mistreatment of a minority population yet they commit countless crimes against their own ?

ReputationRep:
    There are neo-Nazi groups in Poland, even though Hitler had racist views of Eastern Europeans

ReputationRep:
    Also, WWII started because of the German invasion of Poland, yet after the war the rest of the Allies simply let the Soviets take over

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether we might call it ironic but the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour must have been the most ill advised military operation in modern history.

ReputationRep:
    The French Revolution. Meant to be about equality and liberty but they executed a king simply for existing, under the terror civil liberties were totally cut to the extent that they mirrored Nazi Germany, ultimately the revolution lead to the creation of an Empire with it's head more powerful than any Bourbon king.

Yep, the French Revolution is one big contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Ironic that in 1918 the Allies weakened Germany after WWI to the extent where they could not start another war, but all they did was anger and depress the country so much that they turned to a man who started WWII.
    The negative effect of reparation demands on Germany was greatly exaggerated in Germany and a bit of a lie, unfortunately also spread in Britain and elsewhere by JM Keynes, the noted economist. Germany did have multiple problems during the Great Depression, but they weren't mainly the fault of reparation payments, contrary to popular myth. However, it was a myth that suited the German Right, who were mainly responsible for spreading it.

A bigger irony is that the UK won the war, but that our industries then flagged compared to those of Germany, because they were not rebuilt from a fresh start and with massive US investment.

ReputationRep:
    The USA in general is pretty ironic.

'Land of the free...' Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonny_J_D)
    Even better Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, who proposed the idea of the machine, ended up becoming a victim of it...
    Hopelessly untrue urban myth.

ReputationRep:
    Henry VIII is proclaimed Defender of the Faith by the Pope for his condemnation of Martin Luther, yet he later turned his back on the Catholic faith and two of his children (Edward VI and Elizabeth I) would adopt Protestantism

ReputationRep:
    Harald Hardra leading the Danes against us in 1066, totally unaware that William was about to attack from France at the same time. Harold Godwin fought and won at Stamford bridge then had to force march to the South coast to face Williams Army at Hastings.
    Without that first battle we may well have defeated William and England wouldnt have gone down the route of feudalism.
    Who knows where we would be today.
    Btw its 11.15 and I am pi$$ed if if any of this is wrong please feel free to ignore me. :-)

ReputationRep:
    The Nazis attacking Egypt for oil in the north African front when oil was literally beneath they're feet in Libya and Algeria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    probably the worst of them all The Bush/NeoCon administration stating that freedom and democracy could be brought to a population via the employment of American power/Military.Democracy coming at ya by the barrel of a gun.

P.S Other US admins have done this i have just merely picked the absolute worst ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    The USA in general is pretty ironic.

'Land of the free...' Lol.
    I've read here that the U.S. is, arguably, the freest country. Why would you think we are not free? I'm not saying we're the freest but you we seem to be saying we are not at all free. Why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The negative effect of reparation demands on Germany was greatly exaggerated in Germany and a bit of a lie, unfortunately also spread in Britain and elsewhere by JM Keynes, the noted economist. Germany did have multiple problems during the Great Depression, but they weren't mainly the fault of reparation payments, contrary to popular myth. However, it was a myth that suited the German Right, who were mainly responsible for spreading it.

A bigger irony is that the UK won the war, but that our industries then flagged compared to those of Germany, because they were not rebuilt from a fresh start and with massive US investment.
    Actually, according to wiki, the U.K. received more than any other country. 329.7 million in loans and grants plus an additional 4.6 bil. in direct loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pices_zodiac)
    The US having tons of nuclear weapons (16,000 +) compared to the 6 the DPRK has. The US wants a nuclear free world (wehere, I'm guessing, it has all the weapons for 'defensive' purposes..).
    IRONY
    The U.S. wants a nuclear free world?? God forbid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldcon1953)
    Actually, according to wiki, the U.K. received more than any other country. 329.7 million in loans and grants plus an additional 4.6 bil. in direct loans.
    It's complicated, but it's debatable that the big loan was part of the Marshall Plan and also the UK was at first only offered the very large amount at high interest rates - after Keynes spent months lobbying in Washington, it was eventually reduced to a more manageable level. Free aid to West Germany and France was available, but not to Britain, although the terms of this were not always made clear to the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's complicated, but it's debatable that the big loan was part of the Marshall Plan and also the UK was at first only offered the very large amount at high interest rates - after Keynes spent months lobbying in Washington, it was eventually reduced to a more manageable level. Free aid to West Germany and France was available, but not to Britain, although the terms of this were not always made clear to the former.
    Agree. Keep in my mind all the terms were negotiated with each country I'm sure. The U.K. and the rest of the recipients seem to have done a good job utilizing their funds. I was impressed with the small sums needed to jump start the rebuilding. Not a lot of money in the current world.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.