Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to fill in this stupid student finance form but I'm stuck on the income bit. I live with my grandmother - she up until this year received pension credit. Now she receives the state retirement pension. So for 09-10 (the year they are asking for) all her income was from pension credit.
    now I don't know how (or even whether to) disclose this on the form. I rang up their idiotic helpline and the (unhelpful) fella up at student finance who too, sounded clueless but said i should perhaps put it in the taxable state benefits field. however looking at the directgov site pension credit is NON TAXABLE. so what the hell do i do? shall i just leave it off or what.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Are you sure you should be giving details of your grandmother's income? The way I understood the system was that you're either dependent on your parents or you are independent. Who you live with is not relevant to this.

While it may be personal, the reasons you don't live with your parents are highly relevant to your student finance application and your status.

If you don't want to explain on TSR then I definitely think you should phone student finance and check your situation and whos income you should be assessed on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibee)
    Are you sure you should be giving details of your grandmother's income? The way I understood the system was that you're either dependent on your parents or you are independent. Who you live with is not relevant to this.

While it may be personal, the reasons you don't live with your parents are highly relevant to your student finance application and your status.

If you don't want to explain on TSR then I definitely think you should phone student finance and check your situation and whos income you should be assessed on.
    Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I have no idea.

Basically, at birth I was adopted by my grandparents but my actual parents live down the road from me but contribute absolutely nothing to me or my household.

So yeah, I'm probably going to have to give them up a ring again or try Conexxions or something. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePropheticNomad)

Basically, at birth I was adopted by my grandparents but my actual parents live down the road from me but contribute absolutely nothing to me or my household.

So yeah, I'm probably going to have to give them up a ring again or try Conexxions or something. Thanks
    Ring Student Finance directly, they're quite helpful
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ThePropheticNomad)

You've been formally adopted? That quite possibly does mean it is your grandparents' income that's to be included then as they are your legal guardians.

ReputationRep:
    If you are formally adopted then as the previous poster says you are entitled. Your grandmother would then need to provide a letter from the DWP confirming the amount of Pension Credit she received in the 2009/10 tax year, as that's the year SFE use to income assess applications. Otherwise, ring up SFE and ask about applying as an independent student.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.