Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this book is a bit outdated but just a few pages I wanted scanned if anyone had it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    It's a good book
    Able to scan to take pics of one or two pages for me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Able to scan to take pics of one or two pages for me please?
    I don't have access to it atm, it's at home and I'm at uni. If you still want it over the summer, let me know. It's a slightly older edition.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have access to it atm, it's at home and I'm at uni. If you still want it over the summer, let me know. It's a slightly older edition.
    Ah no worries. I really just wanted two pages scanned that had comments about two unis which would help me in my choice in which offer to accept.

ReputationRep:
    Ah no worries. I really just wanted two pages scanned that had comments about two unis which would help me in my choice in which offer to accept.
    Ah, sorry I couldn't help you there.

Congrats on your offers btw. Where did you get offers?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, sorry I couldn't help you there.

Congrats on your offers btw. Where did you get offers?
    Sheffield and Newcastle (durham)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple copies in my school library (I think), what did you want from it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    There's a couple copies in my school library (I think), what did you want from it?
    Apparently it has comments from students or insights on unis? Just wanted some on both Sheffield and 'Newcastle and Durham' if you would please

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it has comments from students or insights on unis? Just wanted some on both Sheffield and 'Newcastle and Durham' if you would please
    That's fine, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I typed it into Google books again and managed to see relevant sections of the 04/05 book. Definitely want to read the 07/08

That's fine, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offers. I ultimately chose not to go to Durham but definitely considered it, it's a great school

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    Sorry, was too busy to get it out of the library today, will have to wait until Monday.

ReputationRep:
    wud man stil be able to get this book from the libary? safe

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, was too busy to get it out of the library today, will have to wait until Monday.
    TY the effort is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I might be able to help out here as I have a copy of the book handy, although I don't have a scanner so you might have to wait till Monday for those pages.

There isn't actually a section on student comments I'm afraid, but all of the uni's in the book have a part listing their good and bad points if that's what you meant? Would it be useful if I just posted the ones for your uni's here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)
    I might be able to help out here as I have a copy of the book handy, although I don't have a scanner so you might have to wait till Monday for those pages.

There isn't actually a section on student comments I'm afraid, but all of the uni's in the book have a part listing their good and bad points if that's what you meant? Would it be useful if I just posted the ones for your uni's here?
    Any chance you could scan the Newcastle and Barts pages? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legit)
    Any chance you could scan the Newcastle and Barts pages? Thanks
    Sorry I don't have access to a scanner otherwise I would. There are also about ten pages for each uni so I don't fancy copying all that, but here are the pros and cons of the two you wanted.

Newcastle

Pros
    - Friendly locals, vibrant and rapidly developing city where the atmosphere is never impersonal
    - Living costs are relatively low
    - Easy to escape to the country or the coast if you fancy a break from city life
    - New pubs, clubs and restaurants always appearing, with the Quayside and Jesmond being popular with students as well as Friday nights at MedSoc being a weekly highlight
    - The course is constantly evaluated and modified through student feedback

Cons
    - Some worries about the effects of an increase in student numbers in recent years on the course organisation and student body
    - Travelling around the region can be time-consuming without a car and expensive with one
    - Timetable planning is sometimes communicated to students late
    - The tutor system doesn't work for everyone so the amount of pastoral support for students varies
    - The amount of time spent on non-traditional subjects in the first two years can be frustrating for those expecting a more scientific course

Barts

Pros
    - Brand new course, innovative curriculum and teaching, enthusiastic and approachable staff
    - Students and visitors agree that the community is very friendly with a close-knit atmosphere and that students tend to have friends from all years
    - Reasonable rents for shared houses, considering the location in the centre of London, and everyone lives close to one another
    - Good year-round events, and the Union bar opens with regular late licenses
    - Diverse area, wide range of things to do and cultures to experience. The East End is very trendy, with new bars and restaurants opening all the time.

Cons
    - Local area surrounded by very deprived communities which, although means good clinical experience and pathology subject matter, can be a bit depressing. At times it is necessary to be wary as students have been assaulted in the past
    - There is some travelling between sites required, and the 'rush hour' lasts for hours, although congestion charging has meant very fast bus links
    - Little interaction with non-medical and dental students in the past resulted in some rivalry between the medics and other students, although most of these issues have been fully worked out now
    - London is such a massive place that it can take some time to feel at ease with its vastness
    - Living and studying in London is more expensive than elsewhere, which is the biggest drawback to studyig at Barts and in London generally

Bear in mind this all taken from the book, and although it's paraphrased slightly none of it is my opinion as I know virtually nothing about the two uni's. I would recommend finding a copy of the book though as it gives some pretty detailed insights on the course stucture, placements, uni life in general etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)
    Sorry I don't have access to a scanner otherwise I would. There are also about ten pages for each uni so I don't fancy copying all that, but here are the pros and cons of the two you wanted.

Newcastle

Pros
    - Friendly locals, vibrant and rapidly developing city where the atmosphere is never impersonal
    - Living costs are relatively low
    - Easy to escape to the country or the coast if you fancy a break from city life
    - New pubs, clubs and restaurants always appearing, with the Quayside and Jesmond being popular with students as well as Friday nights at MedSoc being a weekly highlight
    - The course is constantly evaluated and modified through student feedback

Cons
    - Some worries about the effects of an increase in student numbers in recent years on the course organisation and student body
    - Travelling around the region can be time-consuming without a car and expensive with one
    - Timetable planning is sometimes communicated to students late
    - The tutor system doesn't work for everyone so the amount of pastoral support for students varies
    - The amount of time spent on non-traditional subjects in the first two years can be frustrating for those expecting a more scientific course

Barts

Pros
    - Brand new course, innovative curriculum and teaching, enthusiastic and approachable staff
    - Students and visitors agree that the community is very friendly with a close-knit atmosphere and that students tend to have friends from all years
    - Reasonable rents for shared houses, considering the location in the centre of London, and everyone lives close to one another
    - Good year-round events, and the Union bar opens with regular late licenses
    - Diverse area, wide range of things to do and cultures to experience. The East End is very trendy, with new bars and restaurants opening all the time.

Cons
    - Local area surrounded by very deprived communities which, although means good clinical experience and pathology subject matter, can be a bit depressing. At times it is necessary to be wary as students have been assaulted in the past
    - There is some travelling between sites required, and the 'rush hour' lasts for hours, although congestion charging has meant very fast bus links
    - Little interaction with non-medical and dental students in the past resulted in some rivalry between the medics and other students, although most of these issues have been fully worked out now
    - London is such a massive place that it can take some time to feel at ease with its vastness
    - Living and studying in London is more expensive than elsewhere, which is the biggest drawback to studyig at Barts and in London generally

Bear in mind this all taken from the book, and although it's paraphrased slightly none of it is my opinion as I know virtually nothing about the two uni's. I would recommend finding a copy of the book though as it gives some pretty detailed insights on the course stucture, placements, uni life in general etc.
    Woooo, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)

That would be great. I thought I already put it but I wanted Sheffield and Newcastle (Durham) pretty please.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.