Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    That would be great. I thought I already put it but I wanted Sheffield and Newcastle (Durham) pretty please.
    Sure thing, the section on Newcastle you can obviously read above but here are the points for the others:

Durham

Pros
    - Brand new state-of-the-art facilities, very committed staff
    - Small in size (190 med students in the department in total)
    - Most of the teaching is delivered by a wide range of clinicians from many different hospitals and primary care centres in the area
    - Access to both Durham and Newcastle facilities e.g. libraries
    - Patient-centred course with high emphasis on communication skills

Cons
    - The library is noisy and lacks the more comprehensive stock of a more established med school library
    - The number of permanent med school staff is very small
    - Stockton is a small town
    - The transition to Newcastle in year 3 doesn't achieve good integration between the two groups and students believe this should be improved
    - Durham uni has much shorter terms than Newcastle but students have to cover the same amount of material in each semester, leading to quite a heavy and fast-paced workload

Sheffield

Pros
    - The course allows individuals to learn at their own pace. Lecturers are accessible and are usually happy to help with any problems
    - There are still dissection and hands-on practicals, instead of prosections which are beginning to turn up at all new medical curriculums. Definitely a dying breed. (These are the books words not mine!)
    - There are endless clubs for all music tastes, bars and coffee shops for the trend setters, and just about every type of entertainment under the sun
    - Student accommodation is in the nicer parts of town, within easy (and safe) walking distance of the uni and all local amenities. Sheffield was voted the safest student city in the UK in 2001
    - Med students are part of the uni as a whole and not just the med school. This enables them to make use of all of the available facilities and to escape from medicine when they want to

Cons
    - Students complain of a lack of organisation within the school, this relates to the continually changing curriculum
    - You can feel anonymous in the med school
    - Self-directed learning is hard if you are a poor self-motivator and leave things to the last minute, and as formal assessment occurs only at the end of the year it's easy to fall behind
    - Some of the peripheral attachments are to lightly less than glamorous towns - Grimsby, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Barnsley etc. (Again, the book's words not mine!)
    - Lots of hills - good practice if you're training for Everest!

Hope this helps, and bear in mind the date of when the book was published as some of this stuff could have changed.

ReputationRep:
    Could you also write up a pros + cons for glasgow and peninsula please?

rep available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive Blob)
    Could you also write up a pros + cons for glasgow and peninsula please?

rep available
    Why do I get the feeling I've treaded on a slippery slope?

Here you go:

Glasgow

Pros
    - The West End provides the perfect combination of shops, bars and restaurants, all of which are contained within walking distance
    - Superb facilities: two great unions, accommodation, sport complex, main library, well-equipped new med school building
    - One survey found Glasgow Uni to have the best social life for students in Scotland
    - Teaching by internationally acclaimed experts
    - Acclaimed as a music/club venue: King Tut's, The Arches, Barrowlands...

Cons
    - It's not Barcelona - bring a scarf
    - Some of the district hospitals are far away
    - Some people dislike PBL
    - Glasgow city has a student population of 150,000 so you might have to queue to get into your favourite club
    - Beware a Scottish breakfast - it is helping to make the west of Scotland the heart disease capital of Europe

Peninsula

Pros
    - Learn clinical skills from the first week
    - Only a short drive/train ride to the beach
    - Lots of patients are aware of the new med school and are keen to help med students' learning
    - Living costs in Plymouth and Exeter are relatively inexpensive. Plymouth is particularly cheap.
    - The brand new med school buildings, with brand new facilities, exclusively available to the med students are excellent

Cons
    - Limited student parking provided at med school sites
    - After years 1 and 2 on both campuses you are rotated around various Peninsula Med School locations in Devon and Cornwall (Exeter, Plymouth, Truro, Barnstaple, Torbay). A downer if you're looking to settle in one place!
    - Peninsula doesn't have an assessment-based approach - this may not be good if you are not self-motivated
    - You may never get to meet other students in your year if they move to different campuses from you
    - You may move to a different site after phase I and away from your friends

The things I'll do to avoid work! Although I'll say this again: it's worth finding the book in a library or somewhere as the amount of detail on the course structure and the available facilities is pretty useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)
    Why do I get the feeling I've treaded on a slippery slope?

Here you go:

Glasgow

Pros
    - The West End provides the perfect combination of shops, bars and restaurants, all of which are contained within walking distance
    - Superb facilities: two great unions, accommodation, sport complex, main library, well-equipped new med school building
    - One survey found Glasgow Uni to have the best social life for students in Scotland
    - Teaching by internationally acclaimed experts
    - Acclaimed as a music/club venue: King Tut's, The Arches, Barrowlands...

Cons
    - It's not Barcelona - bring a scarf
    - Some of the district hospitals are far away
    - Some people dislike PBL
    - Glasgow city has a student population of 150,000 so you might have to queue to get into your favourite club
    - Beware a Scottish breakfast - it is helping to make the west of Scotland the heart disease capital of Europe

Peninsula

Pros
    - Learn clinical skills from the first week
    - Only a short drive/train ride to the beach
    - Lots of patients are aware of the new med school and are keen to help med students' learning
    - Living costs in Plymouth and Exeter are relatively inexpensive. Plymouth is particularly cheap.
    - The brand new med school buildings, with brand new facilities, exclusively available to the med students are excellent

Cons
    - Limited student parking provided at med school sites
    - After years 1 and 2 on both campuses you are rotated around various Peninsula Med School locations in Devon and Cornwall (Exeter, Plymouth, Truro, Barnstaple, Torbay). A downer if you're looking to settle in one place!
    - Peninsula doesn't have an assessment-based approach - this may not be good if you are not self-motivated
    - You may never get to meet other students in your year if they move to different campuses from you
    - You may move to a different site after phase I and away from your friends

The things I'll do to avoid work! Although I'll say this again: it's worth finding the book in a library or somewhere as the amount of detail on the course structure and the available facilities is pretty useful.
    fantastic! Thankyou very much
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A similar kind of book that gives all this kind of information in a two-page spread per medical school is So you want to be a doctor? by Sanders, Metcalfe and Dev. Brill book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)
    Much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, by the time I'd pinched it off my gf most of the book was useless to me anyway so I'm glad I could share some of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony)
    No problem, by the time I'd pinched it off my gf most of the book was useless to me anyway so I'm glad I could share some of it
    Hehe nice. Are you waiting on A-level results or already a medic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Hehe nice. Are you waiting on A-level results or already a medic?
    I'm doing a degree actually, went for all GEP entries and got three rejections and an interview at Warwick that I'm waiting to hear back from. Depending on how that goes the book might suddenly become more useful again! It must be nice to have the luxury of choice, I hope whichever place you choose goes well for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.