Any financial wizards out there?I NEED YOUR HELP!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
GoodLooking
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Right i have an offer to read economics at University College London.
My plan is to raise between £1500 and £2000 before i start uni.
I am going on holiday with the family which is being paid for.
I am also going with my girlfriend and her family which i volunteered to pay for myself, though i am now regretting it it is £299 for 14 days i think.
But large group of my closest friends decided they wanted a bit of female fun before going off to university so they are looking at ibiza or ayia napa. I also have to pay for my driving lessons as i'd like to have passed by the time i start uni.
The thing is i really want to go on holiday with my mates but i can't afford it, either i scrap my uni savings (which is a no no) or i delay driving till god knows when (possibly after graduation).
what can i do, lottery, scratch cards, what..ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're reading economics, surely you should be able to work this out?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my choice in your position would be to delay driving until after graduation
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
my choice in your position would be to delay driving until after graduation
I delayed driving until after graduation and not having a car really pissed me off. After graduation you'll have even less money than you have now, unless you're planning to leave it until after you've paid back your student debts. Could take a while...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
delay driving - unless you're going to a very isolated uni(which you're not) or planning to commute in then there's no reason to have a car at uni and 3 yrs with no driving practice is likely to leave you in much the same position as if you learnt from scratch post uni
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I learnt to drive during my 1st-2nd yr holidays...if you manage to do some work part time while you're in your 1st yr theres no reason not to use that to pay for driving lessons.

but I really cant see you wanting/needing to living in london
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I learnt to drive during my 1st-2nd yr holidays...if you manage to do some work part time while you're in your 1st yr theres no reason not to use that to pay for driving lessons.

but I really cant see you wanting/needing to living in london
driving in london would be horrendous anyway with the congestion charging and the congestion too. it's better to walk/bike to places of intrest as you'll be pretty central anyway.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
leave it until your uni holls's. I failed twice before i went to uni and i've pretty much given up cos i can't really afford to run a car at the moment anyway. ALthough i have to pass before september cos thats when my theory runs out. The only thing if you leave it till after you graduate it might make things ahrder to find a job
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
driving in london would be horrendous anyway with the congestion charging and the congestion too. it's better to walk/bike to places of intrest as you'll be pretty central anyway.
Ah yes - good point. There is absolutely no point in driving in London. The public transport is fairly good and it costs a lot to keep a car (not just congestion charges but insurance too). I passed my test before I moved up to London to get it out of the way, but now I don't drive at all.

Might still be a good idea to learn before uni if you can though - you can drive your parents' car while you're at home for holidays and by the time you graduate you'll have had your licence for years and your insurance will be cheaper (I think...).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads