The Student Room Group

So, what happens if I get a C in chemistry?

Hi all,

I've been worried about this for quite a long time. My current firm is Nottingham (they want AAB, or AB (in two sciences) and a double distinction in my music BTEC) and my insurance is Bradford (they want BBB/300 points).

At AS I got AAC, in biology, english literature and chemistry respectively. This year I also completed a BTEC national certificate in music and I've finished early before the deadline, and I already have the double distinction grade (equivalent to 240 UCAS points). I also have a grade 5 violin and music theory which I completed this year, and did 3 days work experience in a community pharmacy over the new year period where I shadowed the pharmacist. My mother was also a pharmacist so I'm aware of the practise.

I resat the chemistry AS in January and I went from being just into the C grade to 2 marks off a B. I'm resitting the Unit 3 ISA next week and hoping for an A/B grade to boost my overall mark up to a B. I am trying my hardest with chemistry to get the B grade, though I'm struggling. I have been working the hardest I can for the A2 chemistry to try and get the B grade, mainly self teaching. My teachers aren't a great help if I'm honest and my college doesn't have a good pass rate for chemistry.

Anyway,
Long story short: If I had an A in biology, A* in english lit, the double distinction in the BTEC music BUT a C in chemistry, do you think Nottingham would still accept me?

I am aware that university places are highly competitive this year so I'm pushing it. If I get the C in chemistry I'm hoping that Bradford will accept me (they said they'd accept ABC at my interview)

Thanks very much :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
You can't get in with a C like that, work harder n get that B. Also haven't nottingham specified that they want an A in chemistry?
Reply 2
Original post by ScaRR
You can't get in with a C like that, work harder n get that B. Also haven't nottingham specified that they want an A in chemistry?

I'm not asking to just to be 'let in like that' I'm asking what happens if I get to results day and I have a C for chemistry? I'm currently doing about two hours (or more some nights) of chemistry per night to catch up with the work that my teachers haven't covered in class, so this isn't a case of working harder.

And nope, they just asked for AAB in across any of my A2 subjects, non specified, I asked them on the interview day and they said that was fine.
Reply 3
You won't get let in. Portsmouth didn't let me in because of my C in Chemistry. And I was 1 UMS mark away from pulling it up to a B. I doubt Nottingham will be any more lenient.

Just keep working hard is all I can say.

EDIT: Forgot to say, Chemistry is probably the bigger decider between Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by Navi_Fairy
I'm not asking to just to be 'let in like that' I'm asking what happens if I get to results day and I have a C for chemistry? I'm currently doing about two hours (or more some nights) of chemistry per night to catch up with the work that my teachers haven't covered in class, so this isn't a case of working harder.

And nope, they just asked for AAB in across any of my A2 subjects, non specified, I asked them on the interview day and they said that was fine.

Unfortunately the most likely situation would be a rejection from the university. Occasionally people who just fall short of the grades get in, but it is not common and you should not expect this to happen. On results day you could ring them up and try to persuade them as there would be nothing to lose, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. I don't think Nottingham are lenient for this subject area.

Work hard and I'm sure you will be able to pull your grade up to a B. If not, at least you have an insurance and I hope you have been wise enough to chose an insurance that you would be happy to go to.
as pharmacy is so heavily chemistry reliant....

I'd say they won't....

however if bio is a C and chem is an A......then maybe
Reply 6
I'd seriously advise getting a chemistry tutor if your so far behind, that extra hour getting taught 1 on 1 is very useful to me and has deffinately helped me with my A at AS (I was originally predicted a C by my teachers)

Also you have to consider why your not doing so well, is it exam technique? If so rinse the past papers, even do old syllabus questions, and all the questions in your revision book. Or maybe it might be because your not enjoying the subject, if so you need motivate yourself, it'll click and you'll get there in the end, trust me if you put enough work in you will be rewarded.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the help guys, I thought it'd be the case of me getting a rejection. I'd be happy to go to Bradford but obviously I'm still aiming for my firm choice, I was just wondering what would happen in this situation, just in case of a back up. I'm predicted a B overall and should hopefully get my AS up to a B next week if I get a few extra marks from my ISA.

I'm also thinking about a couple of sessions with a tutor as well, I think it'd help me to have someone go through it one to one (my teachers have basically refused me extra help, I just came out of a chemistry lesson and we spent the lesson looking for and printing off mass spectrographs (and I still have no idea how to read them thanks to my teacher!) :s-smilie: We just do an awful lot of unproductive things when I could be doing better. I guess I'm not enjoying it in some ways because of all the unproductive work we do.
Go to keele they only ask for Biology or Chemistry with Maths or Physics
Reply 9
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Go to keele they only ask for Biology or Chemistry with Maths or Physics

I've already made my firm and insurance :smile:
Original post by Navi_Fairy
I've already made my firm and insurance :smile:

Oh cool ok, when I go to uni if I do pharmacy I'd want to go to keele. Mainly because they dont ask for Chemistry.
HA your a fail...
A C in Chemistry is like saying to the world i don't know how many tamil gods there are!
Utter FLOP
Reply 12
Original post by Wise Tamil Guy
HA your a fail...
A C in Chemistry is like saying to the world i don't know how many tamil gods there are!
Utter FLOP

I dont know how many Tamil gods there are :s-smilie:
However, dont worry about getting a C, just work as hard as you can and do your best :smile:
Original post by Fevsieboy

Original post by Fevsieboy
I dont know how many Tamil gods there are :s-smilie:
However, dont worry about getting a C, just work as hard as you can and do your best :smile:

STOP STALKIN ME FREAK!!
Every comment i make this guys says the opposite 2 mins afterwards. PLZ kill this Fevsieboy, dick
Original post by ScaRR
I'd seriously advise getting a chemistry tutor if your so far behind, that extra hour getting taught 1 on 1 is very useful to me and has deffinately helped me with my A at AS (I was originally predicted a C by my teachers)

Also you have to consider why your not doing so well, is it exam technique? If so rinse the past papers, even do old syllabus questions, and all the questions in your revision book. Or maybe it might be because your not enjoying the subject, if so you need motivate yourself, it'll click and you'll get there in the end, trust me if you put enough work in you will be rewarded.

Agree with all of this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending