Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What makes people want to interact with other people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personality? Looks? Other factors? I can only count 2 people who I can call a close friend. I don't get invited to parties or outings (only gigs from one friend from bands I don't listen to) and that friend doesn't interact with me much.

I want friends to approach me for a change rather than me approaching them. I want people to open up conversation windows to talk to me and not the other way around. I want people to come up to me to see how I'm doing how's my working going but they never do. All the effort comes from my side and hardly ever from other side. Truthfully out of the 2, only one friend actively talks to me; I'm invisible to most others.

ReputationRep:
    That's nice dear.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh a lot of people can probably relate with you... common interests, mutual things in common, things to talk about, having a friend to talk to about certain things

a number of reasons, mainly personality based. Looks for certain people

ReputationRep:
    Everyone wants people to be the ones to come up to them and make conversation, ask all the questions.

But unless you have amazing charisma and a smashing personality then its not realistic to expect this to happen all the time.

In order to have a good group of friends its fundamental that you make an effort and treat others like you would want to be treated.

Things that would attract you to be friends with someone, such as interesting conversation, conversation balance, consideration, advice etc etc etc is what you need to give to it as well.

ps you sound self pitying, not attractive.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of factors. People generally need social interaction of some sort. However attractiveness seems to be one of the first things that causes people to tend towards interaction (Evidence: "Boys do you treat pretty girls better in everyday life?" :holmes:). If you want someone to maintain social interaction, then you probably have to give them a reason to e.g. habe a good sense of humour, be interesting, "good personality" etc.

So basically you were right, maybe looks at the beginning, but personality is probably the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    People don't really give a **** about you unless they can derive some sort of pleasure or material gain from you, immediate family excluded.

ReputationRep:
    ^Lol, pretty much tbh. There are genuinely kind people around but that's the general pattern. You basically need something to offer. If you don't have the looks, maybe tell a joke?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.