Turn on thread page Beta

Teeth Whitening watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done it? what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    most of the time it damages your teeth... i really don't see the point unless you have particularly brown teeth

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of procedure you go for; they all have their advantages and disadvantages but most give good results nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    yea my teeth are good, when you see people with really white teeth though it looks good! Have no idea how to go about it though, hoping for someone to shed some light

ReputationRep:
    Crest Whitening Strips!!!

ReputationRep:
    All I did for teeth whitening was use toothpaste (sensodyne) and add a bit of baking soda to it. Did that over 2 months and could see the difference quite well afterwards. Just try it out I would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylfc_1)
    yea my teeth are good, when you see people with really white teeth though it looks good! Have no idea how to go about it though, hoping for someone to shed some light
    My sister got mine done for £20! She works as a dental nurse, the actual bleach etc costs £10. They charge you £500 normally, so £490 for treatment, hmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Laser whitening is apparently turns your teeth back to their natural coulour. Costs up to £300 to have it done though.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I had whitening trays which you do yourself, it's where you get a sort of gum shield which is the shape of your teeth+you put in the fluid yourself and wear over night for like a week or 2 depending on how white you want them. So basically you can control how white they go. I really recommend it, pretty expensive though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall2407)
    Crest Whitening Strips!!!
    Are banned in this country for a reason.

God, I wish people would actually take advice once in a while. They are banned because the levels of something in them are way too high to safely whiten teeth.

I use the at-home tray systems and find them fantastic. Faffy to mould the trays but once thats done its so easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)

God, I wish people would actually take advice once in a while. They are banned because the levels of something in them are way too high to safely whiten teeth.

I use the at-home tray systems and find them fantastic. Faffy to mould the trays but once thats done its so easy.
    u do appear to be an expert on this. Follow advice cos got high levels of something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chilliprawn)
    u do appear to be an expert on this. Follow advice cos got high levels of something.
    Given that I whiten my own teeth SAFELY and did plenty of exhaustive research on the matter before deciding on a method to suit me...

But that's fine, feel free to single handedly destroy your own teeth and ruin your ability to eat and drink comfortably...

ReputationRep:
    Ask Richard Hammond :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)

Only banned in the UK, so only the UK deem them not safe. If you go over to the USA and speak to dentists over there, they will tell you that they aren't damaging to teeth

They are only banned over here so that Dentists can charge hundreds of pounds for the same type of products/treatments which also contain hydrogen peroxide
    People in France and Germany have taken dentists to the court for this and have won their cases as they have proved crest whitestrips to not be damaging to teeth. They can now purchase crest whitestrips over the counter, it is only the UK who still view them as bad for your teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone send me a link to buy some good (STRONGGGGGGGGGG) stuff online?

ReputationRep:
    No whitening is going to be 100% safe for enamel. The tray systems and the whitestrips basically have the same effect. I use the whitestrips and told my dentist, he said as long as I don't go mad and use like more than 2 boxes a year and I use sensodyne pro-namel it shouldn't be a problem.
    I have only used one and a half boxes of the weakest strips (in about 3 years) and the results are brilliant, I had yellow teeth (the yellowest I'd ever seen on anyone in person, honestly) and now they are about the same colour as most other peoples - so I'm happy I highly doubt my teeth are going to spontaneously fall out of my mouth in 20 years time because I used whitestrips twice...but if they do then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

ReputationRep:
    Only banned in the UK, so only the UK deem them not safe. If you go over to the USA and speak to dentists over there, they will tell you that they aren't damaging to teeth

They are only banned over here so that Dentists can charge hundreds of pounds for the same type of products/treatments which also contain hydrogen peroxide
    People in France and Germany have taken dentists to the court for this and have won their cases as they have proved crest whitestrips to not be damaging to teeth. They can now purchase crest whitestrips over the counter, it is only the UK who still view them as bad for your teeth.
    Put it this way, an american friend of mine through pageants used them and her teeth are now permanently damaged and sensitive. She followed the instructions on timings to the second but they clearly do some damage as she's never had a problem with sensitivity in the past. My dentist says its "akin to flavoured acid for your teeth" and has no problems recommending stuff like laser treatments or DIY tray kits instead of hard-selling her whitening sessions.

If you do your homework you'll also realise there are plenty of safe alternatives for a fraction of what dentists charge. I know somewhere charging £75 for laser whitening sessions that last 5 years, I buy my tray kit for £30 and it's exactly what my dentist uses in terms of the strength of the carbamide peroxide (when i took it in for her to look at she was also nice enough to help me with moulding the tray and didnt charge me on top of my scale and polish)

All i'm saying is that there are plenty of whitening methods out there better for your teeth than Crest Whitestrips. Stopping smoking/drinking "staining" drinks etc is a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Put it this way, an american friend of mine through pageants used them and her teeth are now permanently damaged and sensitive. She followed the instructions on timings to the second but they clearly do some damage as she's never had a problem with sensitivity in the past. My dentist says its "akin to flavoured acid for your teeth" and has no problems recommending stuff like laser treatments or DIY tray kits instead of hard-selling her whitening sessions.

If you do your homework you'll also realise there are plenty of safe alternatives for a fraction of what dentists charge. I know somewhere charging £75 for laser whitening sessions that last 5 years, I buy my tray kit for £30 and it's exactly what my dentist uses in terms of the strength of the carbamide peroxide (when i took it in for her to look at she was also nice enough to help me with moulding the tray and didnt charge me on top of my scale and polish)
    All i'm saying is that there are plenty of whitening methods out there better for your teeth than Crest Whitestrips. Stopping smoking/drinking "staining" drinks etc is a good place to start.
    So all because one person you know used crest whitestrips and had problems, that automatically deems crest whitestrips bad for everyone else? Look at the hundreds of people who have posted good reviews about them and they haven't had any problems with their teeth after using this product. Is there any proof that these products are bad for your teeth?
    Obviously your dentist won't recommend them, they'd rather charge you obscene amounts for the gullible people who get teeth whitening done by dentists.
    Yeah obviously everyone who wants whiter teeth should stop smoking and drinking fizzy drinks.

Also , could you give me a little information on these tray kits you use?

Where can you buy the tray kits for £30?
    How long do you use them for?
    How long does the whitening effect last for?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    might ask my dentist when I see her although my teeth aren't really that bad ,but wouldn't mind it to be a tad lighter.

ReputationRep:
    So all because one person you know used crest whitestrips and had problems, that automatically deems crest whitestrips bad for everyone else? Look at the hundreds of people who have posted good reviews about them and they haven't had any problems with their teeth after using this product. Is there any proof that these products are bad for your teeth?
    Obviously your dentist won't recommend them, they'd rather charge you obscene amounts for the gullible people who get teeth whitening done by dentists.
    Yeah obviously everyone who wants whiter teeth should stop smoking and drinking fizzy drinks.

Also , could you give me a little information on these tray kits you use?

Where can you buy the tray kits for £30?
    How long do you use them for?
    How long does the whitening effect last for?

Thanks
    She's not the only one, my mum has used them and had problems with her teeth afterwards as well. As have several friends. Obviously some people may be able to get away with them but i still think it's the right decision for them to be banned here given some of the problems i've seen them cause.

My dentist is not trying to get more money for herself - why would she give me the number of a clinic who do laser whitening for £75 if she was trying to line her pockets? And why would she give me the go-ahead to use a £30 kit when she could charge £300 to do pretty much the same thing?

I buy mine from the salon where I get my nails and waxing done, although I think you can buy them on the internet. How long the kits last depends how many times a day you use it. The kit i have comes with 24 applications, so in theory it should last 24 days, but sometimes there's days i put it on twice or miss a day etc. I am onto my last application today - and i wear each application anywhere between 15-60min but I know people who sleep with them in if they need results by a certain day. I don't measure with one of these chart things but my teeth are significantly whiter - and they were pretty white to start with due to a good dental routine and a healthy diet. Dentist says she expects them to last at least 2 years if i keep up my diet and dental health.

And best of all? No increase in sensitivity.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.