Turn on thread page Beta

Rally against debt - finally a counter march! watch

I know a lot of people here oppose the cuts, but you had your fun on Saturday. I respect your right to protest and so I hope you also respect the right of those who support the cuts to have their voices heard as well.

The date here may well be changed, the organisers are trying to see how much support there is for this really, but so far a "rally against debt" is to be held on Saturday the 14th May.

The facebook event can be found here: Rally Against Debt!

I'm sure there are plenty here who support the £80bn cuts which are coming in to eliminate the deficit by 2015. We need that to happen so we can then attempt to get rid of the debt!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wow creepy I click the link and find I have a PM about this march lulz. Anyway. I don't go in for the whole march and yell and cheer for our side or what not but I see what they are trying to do here.

Also your post is a great example of why I hate this new rep system

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the two opposing groups will both hold marches on the same day and have a good old bust up and riot.

Everyone loves a good riot.

On a side note can't see it being very successful personally. The sorts of people that support the cuts aren't usually the types to partake in marches and rallies thus I doubt they'll even muster a tenth of what anti-cuts march managed to get.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Wow creepy I click the link and find I have a PM about this march lulz. Anyway. I don't go in for the whole march and yell and cheer for our side or what not but I see what they are trying to do here.

Also your post is a great example of why I hate this new rep system
    I might not go myself as I have two exams the week after it, but I thought I'd make the thread in case anybody wants to go. I imagine it'll be quite fun, the whole thing has an air of satire about it.

And what do you mean about the rep system? I don't really care about rep anymore so people can feel free to thumb me down because they can't tolerate people having a different opinion to them. I'm 22, I'm too old to care about that anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Hopefully the two opposing groups will both hold marches on the same day and have a good old bust up and riot.

Everyone loves a good riot.
    the bankers must be laughing their tits off
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I might not go myself as I have two exams the week after it, but I thought I'd make the thread in case anybody wants to go. I imagine it'll be quite fun, the whole thing has an air of satire about it.

And what do you mean about the rep system? I don't really care about rep anymore so people can feel free to thumb me down because they can't tolerate people having a different opinion to them. I'm 22, I'm too old to care about that anymore.
    It just irritates me people neg posts yet offer no argument against what you are saying. Seems akin to answering an argument with an insult.

(Original post by Aj12)
    It just irritates me people neg posts yet offer no argument against what you are saying. Seems akin to answering an argument with an insult.
    I'm not actually wanting to debate cuts in this thread anyway, to be fair. This is simply to let people know this event exists. If people want to debate me go to the thread "government cuts: agree or disagree?" where I made my case for supporting the cuts.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You have every right to march in my opinion - it will be interesting to see the nature of the march and if the nature of the police response.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone involved in this debate are hypocrites. The UK's personal debt is higher than its GDP. You can't take out a mortgage you can't afford and rack up the credit card debt and then be for or against the cuts.

If people and governments were not so obsessed with consumerism, we would all be better off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    You have every right to march in my opinion - it will be interesting to see the nature of the march and if the nature of the police response.
    I don't think the police will bother sending out the heavies for a few smug tory boys standing around congratulating themselves on how rich their parents are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well unless a bunch of **** anarchists show up the same way they policed the actual march before the violence.

We'll be giving the police their due respect, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I don't think the police will bother sending out the heavies for a few smug tory boys standing around congratulating themselves on how rich their parents are.
    You've got that straight...
    Name:  no-exit-libertarianism-anarchy-for-rich-people.gif
Views: 230
Size:  36.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    We'll be giving the police their due respect, I'm sure.
    If you get battered don't come moaning on here, no one will believe you.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be terrific banter, but I have no intention going down to London when I have a wedding in deepest, darkest Scotland the very next day. Doesn't stop people from inviting me on Facebook though.

Bring some soup or tea and make sure to offer it to the policemen who happen by. Hell, set out a little stall selling it for a reasonable price, and show capitalism in action.

(Original post by L i b)
    It'd be terrific banter, but I have no intention going down to London when I have a wedding in deepest, darkest Scotland the very next day. Doesn't stop people from inviting me on Facebook though.
    It's all about the banter. :awesome:

Invite everyone you know though, just in case they'd wanna go. But yeah, probably not worth coming from Scotland for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Tha royle wedding?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they keep ****ing lying to me? Thank you for showing me the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Why do they keep ****ing lying to me? Thank you for showing me the truth.
    So you're one of the poor tories? An even more intriguing species , they actually enjoy being poor because they like to kid themselves that in accepting the cuts with such a sense of duty it makes them a realist, as if they have the intellectual edge over the people who care about the decline in their living standards.

ReputationRep:
    So you're one of the poor tories? An even more intriguing species , they actually enjoy being poor because they like to kid themselves that in accepting the cuts with such a sense of duty it makes them a realist, as if they have the intellectual edge over the people who care about the decline in their living standards.
    Not quite poor, certainly not rich. To be honest I think my parents would probably quite like it if some of their tax was returned to them, funded through scrapping ridiculous government spending. For an example, my local council currently equips two large buses with Xboxes, computers, and youth workers. These buses park in the town centre, and anyone under the age of 21 can hop on and take advantage of it. Problematically, though, none of the kids this is aimed at- the ones busy stabbing people and tagging graffiti everywhere- actually use it.

It costs £145,000. It has no measurable benefits.

This is the kind of thing people are getting annoyed at. This is why a majority of the population support spending cuts- because they know that it could be used to help them keep their own income or keep the country off the brink of defaulting.

To characterise everyone who disagrees with you as a 'posh tory boy' is certainly not helpful. If anything, it is detrimental to your cause. People are getting sick of it, and they're realising that cuts can mean cutting the wages of councillors who earn more than the PM, vanity projects like the one above, ID cards, Quangos founded for the sole purpose of nagging us.

You need to start taking these people seriously, or they'll never return you that courtesy.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.