Turn on thread page Beta

Rally against debt - finally a counter march! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Not quite poor, certainly not rich. To be honest I think my parents would probably quite like it if some of their tax was returned to them, funded through scrapping ridiculous government spending. For an example, my local council currently equips two large buses with Xboxes, computers, and youth workers. These buses park in the town centre, and anyone under the age of 21 can hop on and take advantage of it. Problematically, though, none of the kids this is aimed at- the ones busy stabbing people and tagging graffiti everywhere- actually use it.

It costs £145,000. It has no measurable benefits.

This is the kind of thing people are getting annoyed at. This is why a majority of the population support spending cuts- because they know that it could be used to help them keep their own income or keep the country off the brink of defaulting.

To characterise everyone who disagrees with you as a 'posh tory boy' is certainly not helpful. If anything, it is detrimental to your cause. People are getting sick of it, and they're realising that cuts can mean cutting the wages of councillors who earn more than the PM, vanity projects like the one above, ID cards, Quangos founded for the sole purpose of nagging us.

You need to start taking these people seriously, or they'll never return you that courtesy.
    I would take those people seriously if they took the time to understand the seriousness of the cuts. If the cuts just meant scrapping 'xboxes for hoodies' then yes, the majority of people, myself included, would not have a problem with that. Unfortunately the real victims of the cuts are not xboxes, but real people, 300,000 of them in fact... and their families.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite poor, certainly not rich. To be honest I think my parents would probably quite like it if some of their tax was returned to them, funded through scrapping ridiculous government spending. For an example, my local council currently equips two large buses with Xboxes, computers, and youth workers. These buses park in the town centre, and anyone under the age of 21 can hop on and take advantage of it. Problematically, though, none of the kids this is aimed at- the ones busy stabbing people and tagging graffiti everywhere- actually use it.

This is the kind of thing people are getting annoyed at. This is why a majority of the population support spending cuts- because they know that it could be used to help them keep their own income or keep the country off the brink of defaulting.

To characterise everyone who disagrees with you as a 'posh tory boy' is certainly not helpful. If anything, it is detrimental to your cause. People are getting sick of it, and they're realising that cuts can mean cutting the wages of councillors who earn more than the PM, vanity projects like the one above, ID cards, Quangos founded for the sole purpose of nagging us.

You need to start taking these people seriously, or they'll never return you that courtesy.
    It's an extremely weird thing to do - taking to the streets to tell the government you think they're doing a stand up job and aught to keep it up.

Politically people are largely motivated by what they'r afraid of much more strongly than what they approve of IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    It's an extremely weird thing to do - taking to the streets to tell the government you think they're doing a stand up job and aught to keep it up.

Politically people are largely motivated by what they'r afraid of much more strongly than what they approve of IMO.
    Exactly why anyone who thinks such a march will happen is completely deluded.

Apart from a few smug tory students nobody would turn up.

ReputationRep:
    Britain's version of a Tea Party rally?

Ha! This should be fun. I might pop down with a video camera to ask the protesters a few questions and stick the results up on Youtube.

"Hurp derp I want to cuts the debticit cause Labour got us into this mess with Gordon Brown selling off the gold and stuff and it's our children's future, isn't it, durp a derp."

ReputationRep:
    The one thing I don't get is that everyone's saying that all these new monetary measures are against the poor - my family is fairly well off thanks to my dad, who earns just over the nice new 50% tax boundary. Now however, his income is markedly lower - he is paying 55 pence in every pound he earns to the government. I realise that he still earns a lot, and this may seem like nothing to many people, but people seem to lose sight of the fact that higher earners - and this means anyone earning from 100 grand a year to 100 billion, now have to pay over half of their earnings straight to the tax man.

And yeah I support the cuts - we need to have some, and personally I am no professional economist or expert on governmental departments, but I think Osbourne seems to have picked fairly sensible areas to cut.

The march sounds cool as well, just wish more than 3 people would turn up.

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
    We'll be giving the police their due respect, I'm sure.
    Haven't they all been sacked yet? You know, because of the cuts

(Original post by Joker370)
    The one thing I don't get is that everyone's saying that all these new monetary measures are against the poor - my family is fairly well off thanks to my dad, who earns just over the nice new 50% tax boundary. Now however, his income is markedly lower - he is paying 55 pence in every pound he earns to the government....
    Your dad is lying to you, the tax system in the UK doesn't work like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Your dad is lying to you, the tax system in the UK doesn't work like that.
    Well perhaps that's oversimplified, but the fact of the matter is that I earn 14 grand a year and pay practically nothing to the government, and he earns about 7 times more but pays considerably more than 7 times more tax than me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to go, but I probably won't make it. I'll stick to the normal correcting idiots in school.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, what a farce.

ReputationRep:
    The one thing I don't get is that everyone's saying that all these new monetary measures are against the poor - my family is fairly well off thanks to my dad, who earns just over the nice new 50% tax boundary. Now however, his income is markedly lower - he is paying 55 pence in every pound he earns to the government. I realise that he still earns a lot, and this may seem like nothing to many people, but people seem to lose sight of the fact that higher earners - and this means anyone earning from 100 grand a year to 100 billion, now have to pay over half of their earnings straight to the tax man.

And yeah I support the cuts - we need to have some, and personally I am no professional economist or expert on governmental departments, but I think Osbourne seems to have picked fairly sensible areas to cut.

The march sounds cool as well, just wish more than 3 people would turn up.
    You only have to pay 50% tax on anything you earn OVER £150K.

Well perhaps that's oversimplified, but the fact of the matter is that I earn 14 grand a year and pay practically nothing to the government, and he earns about 7 times more but pays considerably more than 7 times more tax than me.
    If that's the case, your Dad will not be paying 50% tax on ANY of his earnings.

ReputationRep:
    Plus the 50% tax rate is being scrapped soon anyway. More's the pity.

ReputationRep:

Hmm, if it was cutting stupid things the government was doing then I'd be all up to it. However sanitation, education, healthcare, defence, transport, the legal system and policing are also taking major hits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Haven't they all been sacked yet? You know, because of the cuts
    Yeah - probably been mentioned a few times before, but for her numerous faults Thatcher was at least smart enough to make sure the police were absolutely delighted with their pay & job security before she started kicking lumps out of every other sort of public sector job & services.

ReputationRep:
    Will it be spoilt by a "vocal Minority" of Bullingdon boys smashing up primark?

Let's hope Bojo and Gideon don't hear about this.

People asking why people would rally in support of the cuts that are happening - I know we're getting what we want in a way, but the purposes are to:

A) Remind people that many peoplesupport cuts B) I'm sure some of us will argue for deeper cuts and C) The whole thing is just fun and satirical.

Obviously I don't know what the turnout will be, but I expect more than just a few people judging from the size of the facebook event already.

(Original post by simon12345)
    To be fair, income tax isn't exactly the only tax people pay. When you include all the rest of it I'm sure over 50% of his income goes to the state.

ReputationRep:
    14th May? Whilst I will support anyone marching in favour of the cuts and/or against increasing our sovereign debt, I've got a dissertation proposal due in that week and two exams shortly afterwards. Sorry, but no can do :o:

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    14th May? Whilst I will support anyone marching in favour of the cuts and/or against increasing our sovereign debt, I've got a dissertation proposal due in that week and two exams shortly afterwards. Sorry, but no can do :o:
    Like I said before, the date might change. I have two exams in the week after this as well, so hopefully it'll be pushed back a bit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Britain's version of a Tea Party rally?

Ha! This should be fun. I might pop down with a video camera to ask the protesters a few questions and stick the results up on Youtube.

"Hurp derp I want to cuts the debticit cause Labour got us into this mess with Gordon Brown selling off the gold and stuff and it's our children's future, isn't it, durp a derp."
    Better than the recent march.

WHAT DO WE WANT?

AN ALTERNATIVE?

WHAT IS IT?

WE DON'T KNOW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    I believe he is due to company benefits that also count towards tax. However whether he is or is not is moot - the point I am making is that higher earners ARE being taxed massively, so I don't understand why so many people seem to be saying 'make the higher earners pay more,' when they are paying more.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.