Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Dangerous? dropping depleted uranium warheads is dangerous, I'm just a student on a message board.

Believe it or not, the police are human underneath the uniform, they have political opinions just like the rest of us.
    Obviously I mean dangerous if implemented. let's not split hairs.

You weren't talking about the police as individuals, but as an organisation. Encouraging the police to actively set their own political goals is beyond illiberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Obviously I mean dangerous if implemented. let's not split hairs.

You weren't talking about the police as individuals, but as an organisation. Encouraging the police to actively set their own political goals is beyond illiberal.
    They're human beings. Hopefully the time will come when their conscience will kick in and tell them it's wrong to beat up students and the unemployed in order to defend the profits of big business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    Well, if we taxed all their wealth then there'd be no investment from them and the economy would stagnate.
    I didn't suggest taxing all their wealth.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, the cops are going to love this. You're basically protesting in favour of them losing their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite poor, certainly not rich. To be honest I think my parents would probably quite like it if some of their tax was returned to them, funded through scrapping ridiculous government spending. For an example, my local council currently equips two large buses with Xboxes, computers, and youth workers. These buses park in the town centre, and anyone under the age of 21 can hop on and take advantage of it. Problematically, though, none of the kids this is aimed at- the ones busy stabbing people and tagging graffiti everywhere- actually use it.

It costs £145,000. It has no measurable benefits.

This is the kind of thing people are getting annoyed at. This is why a majority of the population support spending cuts- because they know that it could be used to help them keep their own income or keep the country off the brink of defaulting.
    I don't think this is a good argument for spending cuts by central government. We have separate elections for local government - surely local government should be and is responsible for how it spends its money, not central government? This is probably illustrated by the fact that the 8 highest paid local government executives are all from Conservative-controlled councils (see the table in http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/thrl2010.pdf).

Out of interest, who runs your council?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I don't think this is a good argument for spending cuts by central government. We have separate elections for local government - surely local government should be and is responsible for how it spends its money, not central government? This is probably illustrated by the fact that the 8 highest paid local government executives are all from Conservative-controlled councils (see the table in http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/thrl2010.pdf).

Out of interest, who runs your council?
    I think it can certainly be an argument for reducing council budgets in the short term- I think it would certainly be the duty of councillors to set their own wages and priorities. I don't think we can trust them to do it, though, which is why I'm attending. Hopefully, as the cuts kick in, people can shame their executives into cutting their own pay.

I'm Hillingdon- and some of these figures make for depressing reading. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to defend the Conservatives on this- paying themselves this much out of public tax money whilst debating what to close is shameful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    I didn't suggest taxing all their wealth.
    The more you tax the less there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    The more you tax the less there is.
    It doesn't just disappear though, does it?

ReputationRep:
    Rich or not, you're all far too polite to protest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Britain's version of a Tea Party rally?

Ha! This should be fun. I might pop down with a video camera to ask the protesters a few questions and stick the results up on Youtube.

"Hurp derp I want to cuts the debticit cause Labour got us into this mess with Gordon Brown selling off the gold and stuff and it's our children's future, isn't it, durp a derp."
    5 words:

"No more boom and bust."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    They're human beings. Hopefully the time will come when their conscience will kick in and tell them it's wrong to beat up students and the unemployed in order to defend the profits of big business.
    And all the people they employ.

Guido Fawkes and Daniel Hannan have both mentioned this on their blogs, which has increased the rate of people attending.

The anti-cuts march reached 17k on facebook and the pro-cuts one is now pretty much on 1000. Hopefully the momentum will continue, remember to tell people you know who support the cuts about this, especially if they live in or around London.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Rich or not, you're all far too polite to protest
    By "you're" do you just mean supporters of the cuts? If so, you wanna bet on that? The event is gaining momentum.

ReputationRep:
    Turkeys, Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    So you're gonna protest in favour of something which is already happening? *slow claps*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    So you're gonna protest in favour of something which is already happening? *slow claps*
    No-one said protest, tbh.

Anyway, a lot of people going don't think it is. Govt spending is still increasing in real terms. Our debt payments are getting larger.

ReputationRep:
    No-one said protest, tbh.

Anyway, a lot of people going don't think it is. Govt spending is still increasing in real terms. Our debt payments are getting larger.
    Well yeah, I did mention when the budget was unveiled that they've at least matched the cuts with tax-breaks in other areas... which means that any money saved is now being lost - proving the ideological nature of the cuts (especially when we see where the tax cuts are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I know a lot of people here oppose the cuts, but you had your fun on Saturday. I respect your right to protest and so I hope you also respect the right of those who support the cuts to have their voices heard as well.

The date here may well be changed, the organisers are trying to see how much support there is for this really, but so far a "rally against debt" is to be held on Saturday the 14th May.

The facebook event can be found here: Rally Against Debt!

I'm sure there are plenty here who support the £80bn cuts which are coming in to eliminate the deficit by 2015. We need that to happen so we can then attempt to get rid of the debt!
    how are you going to get rid of debt. we have had debt since records began.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    We'll be giving the police their due respect, I'm sure.
    by protesting to make sure they loose their jobs?........

(Original post by Barden)
    This is a rally against debt - and debt is rising under this government, only the deficit is being cut.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.