Turn on thread page Beta

Rally against debt - finally a counter march! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    *Sigh* I don't think you're grasping the concept of this, without police, you will be mugged, people will occupy your house and you will have nowere to live, not everybody is a peace loving hippy like you, people would take everything for you, if there wasnt the law, and police stopping them, you may want to get rid of police and be "free", free to do what? Love nature, love eachother? Be free to have somebody high on crack stab you 8 times in the chest for a sandwich?
    Peace man, we've been occupying houses for months. Its the oppressive arm of the state who comes evicting us, making sure we have nowhere to live. Without the police in place its more likely to be us who occupy other peoples houses, we'll turn up round your house and give your momma some free love

You seem like you have too much anger and hate trapped in your soul....I don't blame you you're just a victim of New Labour's big state. You should hang with us, share some of da magic herb, let get together and feel alright.

These cuts are the end of the nanny state, end of big government, freedom for all mankind, dis is da new generation, hope for unity for the people of jah, cos we're moving right out of Babylon, in the Big Society of Cameron,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I don't think the police will bother sending out the heavies for a few smug tory boys standing around congratulating themselves on how rich their parents are.
    I get £20 EMA. I'm also a member of the Conservative Party, and I'm a Thatcherite. Dispense with your silly stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    I get £20 EMA. I'm also a member of the Conservative Party, and I'm a Thatcherite. Dispense with your silly stereotype.
    Ooh a working class tory. Like a turkey that looks forward to christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh a working class tory. Like a turkey that looks forward to christmas.
    And when you run out of ration, you turn to insults. Weak.

ReputationRep:
    And when you run out of ration, you turn to insults. Weak.
    Run along and spend your EMA while you still can

ReputationRep:
    Run along and spend your EMA while you still can
    And now you're going to be condescendingly insulting.. weak.

ReputationRep:
    And now you're going to be condescendingly insulting.. weak.
    You support a party that condescendingly insults you. You love your servitude.

ReputationRep:
    You support a party that condescendingly insults you. You love your servitude.
    Your impression of our party is simply false. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Your impression of our party is simply false. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    David Cameron called, he wants you to go clip his toenails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Peace man, we've been occupying houses for months. Its the oppressive arm of the state who comes evicting us, making sure we have nowhere to live. Without the police in place its more likely to be us who occupy other peoples houses, we'll turn up round your house and give your momma some free love

You seem like you have too much anger and hate trapped in your soul....I don't blame you you're just a victim of New Labour's big state. You should hang with us, share some of da magic herb, let get together and feel alright.

These cuts are the end of the nanny state, end of big government, freedom for all mankind, dis is da new generation, hope for unity for the people of jah, cos we're moving right out of Babylon, in the Big Society of Cameron,
    Go dig her up then
    I used to smoke it, couldn't stand the damn hippies who would not stop saying "Yeaaaa maaaaan" and talking slowly, thinking everyone loves eachother.

Welcome to the real world, squatters are scum, who ruin things for everyone else in a nieghborhood, nobody likes them, except for other squatters, who say "I'm not buying into the corporations" just because they're lazy, and don't want to work. And you've been occupying houses for months? How are you using the internet so frequently then?

Thatcher herself was from a modest background, so you're in good company.

If I happened to be working class I'm sure I'd still be a libertarian, because I don't have these values due to self-interest, I actually believe that they're right. Good on you for bucking the stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It'd be terrific banter, but I have no intention going down to London when I have a wedding in deepest, darkest Scotland the very next day. Doesn't stop people from inviting me on Facebook though.

Bring some soup or tea and make sure to offer it to the policemen who happen by. Hell, set out a little stall selling it for a reasonable price, and show capitalism in action.
    I forgot that protests are meant to be like cute little tea parties. :facepalm:

(Original post by Oswy)
    Haven't they all been sacked yet? You know, because of the cuts
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    *Sigh* I don't think you're grasping the concept of this, without police, you will be mugged, people will occupy your house and you will have nowere to live, not everybody is a peace loving hippy like you, people would take everything for you, if there wasnt the law, and police stopping them, you may want to get rid of police and be "free", free to do what? Love nature, love eachother? Be free to have somebody high on crack stab you 8 times in the chest for a sandwich?
    At least you will be able to get an assault rifle with which to defend yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatgatsby)
    Although i am against the cuts personally, there does seem to be a quaint grammatical ignorancy in some posts.

It is a rally against debt. Very different from a protest where you are opposing something, with a rally, you are actively supporting a measure.

On the actual topic of this, i guess it's fair that they can have their rally, it is a democracy after all. Although i wonder who will pay for whatever costs are associated with it, will it be the council or the participants (that would be ironic).
    Really it is a tory support rally; calling it a rally against debt is a sneaky way of pretending that their little pro cut rally is for everyone not just the rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Really it is a tory support rally; calling it a rally against debt is a sneaky way of pretending that their little pro cut rally is for everyone not just the rich.
    It kind of is for everyone. Not only rich people vote tory/UKIP/LPUK, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    At least you will be able to get an assault rifle with which to defend yourself
    So will the crackhead, who won't think twice about ending your life, or your families lives

First of all, I'm not a Tory - there is a long history of liberals who seek small government in the UK. If anything they were often accusing the tories/conservatives of being in favour of a large state. Of course, small government Tories do exist and they'll be at this rally, but the classical liberals will be out in full force as well.

Secondly, your personal attack is just petty - Thatcher herself was hardly from a rich background and yet she was the "ultimate" small government Tory. You don't need to be rich to believe that its a bad thing to be spending more on the interest payments of our debt than we spend on education. You don't need to be rich to recognise that we have an ageing population and their pensions/health payments that need to be made quite soon are currently unaccounted for. Not to mention the fact that interest rates on our debt aren't fixed - in Portugal their cuts have failed to be supported by opposition parties and their interest payments have shot up to around 6% which is now widely being regarded as unsustainable and its expected that a bailout will be required.

This is why even Labour would have cut £40bn themselves. Only the economically illiterate are against all cuts - its nothing to do with how rich people are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Thatcher herself was from a modest background, so you're in good company.

If I happened to be working class I'm sure I'd still be a libertarian, because I don't have these values due to self-interest, I actually believe that they're right. Good on you for bucking the stereotype.
    Thatcher's dad owned two grocery stores so
    1) her family owned property
    2) they owned a sustainable business

doesn't sound so modest to me.

(Original post by Jacktri)
    Thatcher's dad owned two grocery stores so
    1) her family owned property
    2) they owned a sustainable business

doesn't sound so modest to me.
    She certainly wasn't rich, her background is widely regarded as being modest. But it isn't even important - a belief in classical liberal ideas doesn't have anything to do with personal wealth, that's the point I'm making. The arguments are sound and it shouldn't be dismissed as rich people acting in their own self interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    She certainly wasn't rich, her background is widely regarded as being modest. But it isn't even important - a belief in classical liberal ideas doesn't have anything to do with personal wealth, that's the point I'm making. The arguments are sound and it shouldn't be dismissed as rich people acting in their own self interest.
    she acted in the interest of business owners.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.