Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    How about leave it as it is and make drivers wait 5 seconds or so for the lights to go green? ****ing retards. Political correctness gone mad.
    Haha I do agree with you, but how on earth is this political correctness??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    How many times have you been stuck at a red light at night, with no one else for miles? It's common sense that it's safe for you to drive through the red light.
    Honestly It makes no difference to me. I'm fine with waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94_confessions)
    I would trust a sensor more, as at least then I know that if the lights were green, the other car have the red light and so would have to stop.
    That's why I (and others) suggested some other signal, though the idea is sound. Essentially the proposal is to make stop signs at junctions instead of traffic lights.

They have this in San Francisco. I don't see a problem with it at all to be honest.

The only issue I had was my flat was on an intersection which had flashing red lights at night and it was a bit irritating if you didn't shut the curtains and the whole bedroom flashed red from midnight until 5am

ReputationRep:
    A lot of lights simply dont NEED to be on at times of light traffic. Take lights at roundabouts... roundabouts don't require lights to control traffic safely, their only use is to allow everyone a "fair chance" to get out of their junction because there's lots of traffic. At night when there's no traffic the lights have no use at all, they can just be turned off.

Same goes for other simple junctions like T-junctions and whatnot. If the lights are on, obey them, if not just fall back to the usual rules of the road. No need to go to the extent of having flash lights and what not

ReputationRep:
    If there's no one around, no one's going to see you not stopping at the red light, really.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.