Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Bodybuilding is entirely about aesthetics! In competitions no one cares what body fat percentage people claim to have, they care about being able to see striations, it is judged solely on looks.
    I stopped reading after that. You're arguing about body building with a guy who not only is one, by so was my father and my uncle. You're not even reading my comments, wide your neck in. haha

'The only reason for wanting/needing to weigh a particular amount is if you're taking part in a contest that has different weight categories, such as, boxing, weightlifting, powerlifting.'

Go visit a body building forum and see what they say about that. I'm sick of repeating the motivational part of it. Who says I'm going to compete? Body building isn't just about competing. Every body builders goal is single digit body fat, fact. You're basing your opinions on Olympic body building for some reason, God knows why.

Edit: I meant to say one hour thirty minutes before, not thirty. Thirty is what you shouldn't do; 'The person cannot eat or drink for four hours, exercise for 12 hours, urinate within 30 minutes of the test, consume alcohol for 48 hours, and must abstain from taking diuretics for seven days'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanishdream)
    I stopped reading after that. You're arguing about body building with a guy who not only is one, by so was my father and my uncle. You're not even reading my comments, wide your neck in. haha

'The only reason for wanting/needing to weigh a particular amount is if you're taking part in a contest that has different weight categories, such as, boxing, weightlifting, powerlifting.'

Go visit a body building forum and see what they say about that. I'm sick of repeating the motivational part of it. Who says I'm going to compete? Body building isn't just about competing. Every body builders goal is single digit body fat, fact. You're basing your opinions on Olympic body building for some reason, God knows why.
    What the hell is Olympic bodybuilding?There is no such thing.

If you and your dad and your uncle are bodybuilders, then why are you asking about losing fat in the health section of a student forum:confused:

Please, provide a source that which backs your claims that body fat calipers are accurate to within 1%.

And then please explain how you can know how much fat you lost to within 0.1% using something that is apparently accurate to just 1%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    What the hell is Olympic bodybuilding?There is no such thing.

If you and your dad and your uncle are bodybuilders, then why are you asking about losing fat in the health section of a student forum:confused:

Please, provide a source that which backs your claims that body fat calipers are accurate to within 1%.

And then please explain how you can know how much fat you lost to within one point of a percent using something that is apparently accurate to just 1%.
    They've never taken anything to speed up the process, I asked them and they simply said 'No idea, I just did cardio'. Wide your neck in haha.

Olympic bodybuilding http://www.getbig.com/articles/olym-rec.htm and http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9803/hatfield.html

Fail. Though it's not popular, Olympic lifting is what has grown in status though many countries are seeking to stop this because of the amount of injuries. That Hungarian (I think) who dislocated his elbow was the latest in Beijing, horrific. I believe most countries don't give representation in it, so it's never really taken off. Largely down to the ease in doping. It's probably the easiest sport to dope in and most of the steroids taken are untraceable after a certain period (so I'm told, I'm not any expert on steroids and the time frame).

Accuracy of body fat calipers according to this site is 4%, though the Accu-Measure one I bought from Ebay claims 1% either way (very unlikely and most likely false, but as I said, as long as it's going down, that's the key number.)

4% http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...tcalipers.html

Some calipers claim to be accurate to 000.1 % http://elsmar.com/Forums/archive/index.php/t-44230.html

Judging by various sources, it depends on the quality of calipers for the most 'accurate' viewing.

It's a bit tedious really and they're not accurate enough to form a solid opinion but it's recommended that you try to track your body fat as close as people to stay on top of any 'oh it's not working'. Like I said, at my weight now, it's hard to notice and I've got the typical male difficulty in trying to lose fat from my stomach. It's just perseverance at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    They've never taken anything to speed up the process, I asked them and they simply said 'No idea, I just did cardio'. Wide your neck in haha.

Olympic bodybuilding http://www.getbig.com/articles/olym-rec.htm and http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9803/hatfield.html

Fail. Though it's not popular, Olympic lifting is what has grown in status though many countries are seeking to stop this because of the amount of injuries. That Hungarian (I think) who dislocated his elbow was the latest in Beijing, horrific. I believe most countries don't give representation in it, so it's never really taken off. Largely down to the ease in doping. It's probably the easiest sport to dope in and most of the steroids taken are untraceable after a certain period (so I'm told, I'm not any expert on steroids and the time frame).

Accuracy of body fat calipers according to this site is 4%, though the Accu-Measure one I bought from Ebay claims 1% either way (very unlikely and most likely false, but as I said, as long as it's going down, that's the key number.)

4% http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...tcalipers.html

Some calipers claim to be accurate to 000.1 % http://elsmar.com/Forums/archive/index.php/t-44230.html

Judging by various sources, it depends on the quality of calipers for the most 'accurate' viewing.

It's a bit tedious really and they're not accurate enough to form a solid opinion but it's recommended that you try to track your body fat as close as people to stay on top of any 'oh it's not working'. Like I said, at my weight now, it's hard to notice and I've got the typical male difficulty in trying to lose fat from my stomach. It's just perseverance at the end of the day.
    What does wide your neck in mean?

There is no bodybuilding event in the Olympics and there never has been.

The person who dislocated his arm in the Olympics is a weightlifter who was competing in a weightlifting event, this has nothing to do with bodybuilding :rolleyes:

The first source that you provided says

Point 7 of a percent! How did they manage that? Even hydrostatic weighing is only accurate to within 2-3%. All things considered...
    So even the most accurate of tests is only accurate to within 2-3%, so how can you know how much fat you lost to within 0.1% using something that is less accurate than 2-3%?

The second source you provided is discussing (note discussing, not claiming) the accuracy of the measuring instrument, not the accuracy of using it to test body fat.

ReputationRep:
    x
    How mature of you! Negging me instead of engaging in a civilised discussion. Perhaps you should 'wide your neck in'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    How mature of you! Negging me instead of engaging in a civilised discussion. Perhaps you should 'wide your neck in'.
    In the words of Shaggy; 'It wasn't me'.

Pointless and immature feature on these forums.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sub, I can see your name next to your rep.

Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.