Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    .. then why are there bicycle crossings, which begin and end on pavements and cross over the road?

ReputationRep:
    Pavements are often split into bike and pedestrian sections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    .. then why are there bicycle crossings, which begin and end on pavements and cross over the road?
    Cylists are allowed on pavement, don't let any bloody pedestrian tell you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    so bikes can cross across traffic in safety the exact same reason we have them for people :/

ReputationRep:
    In general bikes aren't allowed on pavements. If there are special markings for bikes, then take that as indication a cyclist can use them (crossings, cycle paths on pavements, etc). I imagine the crossings you have seen also have cycle paths on the pavement each side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    so bikes can cross across traffic in safety the exact same reason we have them for people :/
    You're kind of missing the OP's point .

Anyway, this is when the pavement is divided up into cycle, walking sides...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    You're kind of missing the OP's point .

Anyway, this is when the pavement is divided up into cycle, walking sides...
    no i got what he was saying there on the pavement why if the bikes cant be

i always put it down to the fact that its easier to see on the pavement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    Cylists are allowed on pavement, don't let any bloody pedestrian tell you otherwise.
    this isn't true actually they also have to stop at red lights if you have passed your driving test you should know this from the theory if not pick up a road theory book

or better yet refer to this link http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cy...nd_the_law.php

ReputationRep:
    this isn't true actually they also have to stop at red lights if you have passed your driving test you should know this from the theory if not pick up a road theory book

or better yet refer to this link http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cy...nd_the_law.php
    All I do when I reach a red light on my bicycle is to simply ride on the pavement then back down again. Or just go straight through it.

I also like to ride the wrong way on cycle lanes and one way streets when it's shorter.

ReputationRep:
    The only bike paths on pavements are those which are small parts of bike paths, usually at the beginnings and ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    All I do when I reach a red light on my bicycle is to simply ride on the pavement then back down again. Or just go straight through it.

I also like to ride the wrong way on cycle lanes and one way streets when it's shorter.
    lol not saying anyone follows it i myself have never rode my bike on the road and i've never seen anyone ever stopped by the police for riding on the pavement here but its still technically the law

ReputationRep:
    lol not saying anyone follows it i myself have never rode my bike on the road and i've never seen anyone ever stopped by the police for riding on the pavement here but its still technically the law
    old people seem to mind it the most. anyone younger than 30 doesn't bat an eyelid when i go on pavements.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.