amelia0601
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Dear all,
I was wondering which course should I choose, Franch or German? Which is harder, by the way, which is more useful? Please dive me some advise, thanks!!!
Butties
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
French is harder and the fact you spelt it wrong highlights that

German sounds more like English so would be easier as it is similar. It depends which countries you are more likely to visit/what you want to use the language for.

There are 100 million native German speakers and 110 million French.
amelia0601
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for your advise: )
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amelia0601)
Thanks for your advise: )
German Grammar is harder than French Grammar..that being said, German and English come from the same family...so
TheatreLovely
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say that French grammar is harder than German grammar, because there are so many different verb patterns and exceptions to each rule, whereas German has a significantly less number of these. In addition, German is a phonetic language and French is npt, therefore German is also a lot easier to pronounce.

Personally, I find German easier - once you have the word order/adjective endings nailed, it's much easier to sound like a native speaker than it is in French. Just my opinion, though!
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
German is really very straightforward to pronounce - there are no silent letters and there's very little subtlety. But cases are a ***** and there's a lot to learn in terms of adjective endings etc, so it depends whether you're weaker with spoken language or with grammar.
guitarmike456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Me
multiplexing-gamer
Report 9 years ago
:facepalm2: Dont choose a subject because its easy.
OddThings
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I personally find french harder,mainly due to the grammer and the fact I cant sound native or close to that after studying it for nearly four years as I still cant get my tongue around the sounds.German is really more enjoyable in my opinion as its easier to pronounce and closer to english,but the grammer can be difficult,although not as much as french I think.
Wookie42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did both at GCSE so not that advanced, however German was a ton easier than French... simply due to the accent and how it is structured. I think it has a knock on effect though, since I ended up enjoying German because it was a bit easier, I ended up spending more time doing work for that subject and left French by the wayside a little
keziah_X
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
German is very hard, the words are long and the grammar is an absolute *****! I mean there are about 16 different words for 'the'.. take spanish, it's a piece of piss. French is ****e.
.snowflake.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by keziah_X)
German is very hard, the words are long and the grammar is an absolute *****! I mean there are about 16 different words for 'the'.. take spanish, it's a piece of piss. French is ****e.
The words can be long in German, but they're often compound words. kaese means cheese, Fabrik is a factory, therefore ein Kaesefabrik is a cheese factory. THe '16 different words for the' aren't actually that bad, they change slightly depending on the gender of the word it refers to, and what case your in i.e. is this thing doing something, or having something done to it.
Rhi93
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think one is necessarily harder than the other. German has loads of cases/prepositions/adjective endings/sentence structure etc, but it's quite similar to English plus it's really easy to pronounce. I'd also say German is a very logical language.

I personally find French grammar easier, but pronunciation is harder because you have loads of silent letters and accents and stuff.

It really depends on the individual. Some people will find one easier than the other. Try is out for yourself to find out.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by keziah_X)
Technically no, there's just 5 cases which means "the" is formed differently. They're not different words.

Haven't ever done French to a high enough level but I don't think German grammar is that hard. It it tough, but as others have said, it's very similar to English and you just have to work hard at it. Everyone has different perceptions of what's hard and easy anyway.
keziah_X
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .snowflake.)
The words can be long in German, but they're often compound words. kaese means cheese, Fabrik is a factory, therefore ein Kaesefabrik is a cheese factory. THe '16 different words for the' aren't actually that bad, they change slightly depending on the gender of the word it refers to, and what case your in i.e. is this thing doing something, or having something done to it.
Yeah I know i've been doing it for long enough :P it's just ****ing annoying
JakeE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never done French, but im just letting you know that German is a great language to learn (in my opinion ;P) The grammar is very hard to get to grips with at first (Cases, prepositions, adjectival endings etc) but if you work hard at it, it will all come along quite smoothly
-raisa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm learning both French and German, and I definitely think French is A LOT easier than German! German grammar is very difficult, and French vocabulary is quite similar to English, so that makes it easier as well.

However, I personally like German more than French, even though I find it harder

So take the language YOU are more interested in; it would be difficult to learn a language you don't like, even if it is "easier".
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personally, having studied both at GCSE, French grammar is easy, but learning vocabulary can be a bit difficult, whereas with German, the grammar is quite difficult (with all of the word order and cases), but the vocabulary is similar to that of English, and it's quite logical as well

But overall, I find German a lot easier than French - but I am biased towards German
bestofyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
kannst du meir bitter helfen?
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I vote French, but my lessons did used to be shocking.

I'm proficient in German, I'd just say I could get by in French - studied French for longer.

LOL ONOEZ AN OPINION, GET THAT OUT OF THERE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (207)
47.15%
Take exams next summer (63)
14.35%
Change uni choice through clearing (99)
22.55%
Apply to uni next year instead (44)
10.02%
I'm not applying to university (26)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest