Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which is harder? French or German? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would say If Your English The transition from learning English to French Is Much more easier
    than the jump from English to German.

Grammar wise French has a few rules however in comparison German has alot of rules to learn.

If you travel across Europe French would be more handy than German as its more spoken however In the business
    perspective of the world German would be more useful.

Imho Languages = Best to worst.
    French>Chinese>Spanish>Arabic>Ge rman/Russian>Italian.

What would you prefer german or russian as MFL?

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I don't think there is much difference in terms of difficulty, although I am personally inclined to say that German is easier. I think this is due to the fact that I have a much more solid grounding in German grammar, whereas with French my basics are really quite weak. German can be difficult to get used to at first, what with all the cases and adjective endings, but you do end up developing an ear for them, so don't despair!
    In truth though, go for the language which you think you'll enjoy the most - "difficulty" really is quite subjective!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia0601)
    Dear all,
    I was wondering which course should I choose, Franch or German? Which is harder, by the way, which is more useful? Please dive me some advise, thanks!!!
    My Mum did both at Uni (and Italian) and teaches all three. I think she finds French easier But I guess it's personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've started German... :lol:

For me French is so much easier, and Italian is easier too, as it's similar ish to French...

But yeah French > Italian > German in terms of ease.

ReputationRep:
    I did both for 3 years at school, now I'm doing just French (no choice -.-). German is wayyyyyyyyyy easier. Easier to write, easier to pronounce and not words have those stupid accents. French is so hard to pronounce and you always have to put on a weird accent, but with german.. it's spelt how it sounds. French is all right though, less grammar according to my teachers and it's more popular than German.

Basically, they're both crap.

ReputationRep:
    It depends which you have a passion for, subjects are always easier if you have a passion for them. I found French quite hard because of all those darned irregulars, whereas the German language doesn't have many irregular - apart from strong verbs - but those cases and adjectival endings are a killer. Personally, I find German easier but that is probably because I have more of a desire to study it than French

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking both languages in high school in the US. I'm in my 4th year of French and 2nd year of German. From what I've learned so far. German is easier to understand and the vocab is easier , but French grammar is easier to comprehend and speak.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I think French is harder because it so different from English whereas German and English are from the same famiily but German grammar is very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    German is harder. French has a great deal more words in common with English than German, and German grammar is just so difficult.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I haven't done German, but quite a few friends of mine who have done German and French have chosen German because they find it easier. I personally find French quite easy, but I have been learning it for quite a while... the hardest bit of French for me is the accent (for speaking exams etc) but the German accent isn't the easiest either...

ReputationRep:
    I think in terms of etymology and the roots of words etc. french is easier. Conjugation is also a bit easier in french. There's no real word order difference in it either whereas German is almost reversing to sentence! Are you choosing to drop or take one because surely that's up to personal preference!

ReputationRep:
    French grammar is harder because of the many exceptions to certain rules. German grammar is also hard because the word orders are hard to wrap your head around.

French verbs are harder because they have certain verb endings whereas German follows the common 'en' rule which is used in the majority of verbs.

Vocabulary wise, German is harder. German words can get ridiculously long and need full concentration to remember them. French words are easy to pronounce.

Overall, German is harder, because they speak so fast with their dreadfully long words and it's hard to break down these words in the middle of conversation. This is my opinion, take this into credit though because I am right!

ReputationRep:
    German is probably easier and Germany is the best place ever apart from where you were born.

ReputationRep:
    At the minute, i'm studying both for GCSE. Currently I'm finding German easier but the grammar is quite difficult. On the other hand, French is also quite hard as there are so many rules you have to learn and the fact that there are so many exceptions to the rules, it makes it even more difficult to learn. Personally i margainally prefer German, but i love French as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia0601)
    Dear all,
    I was wondering which course should I choose, Franch or German? Which is harder, by the way, which is more useful? Please dive me some advise, thanks!!!
    French is harder but it is more useful as french is a popular subject and it is easier to learn other languages after french. I'd recommend taking a language though because most universities demand you have taken a language to be able to get in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did German and this is correct. Similar to English in many things and much easier to grasp. French is much harder, personally.

(Original post by Butties)
    French is harder and the fact you spelt it wrong highlights that

German sounds more like English so would be easier as it is similar. It depends which countries you are more likely to visit/what you want to use the language for.

There are 100 million native German speakers and 110 million French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    kannst du meir bitter helfen?
    Entshuldigung, bedeuten Sie " Kannst du mir bitte halfen?

Auch, was brauchen Sie mit halfen?

ReputationRep:
    I know lots of people who've studied both to degree level. All of them say that German is harder.

ReputationRep:
    keep low on the swearing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.