The Student Room Group

Pectus Excavatum

Have a question: I have mild pectus excavatum which means my chest wall caves in in the centre, and I have been trying my level best to work out the inner wall with cable crossovers on top of the standard bench presses and stuff.

However I have heard from varying expert sources saying the chest is one big muscle and can't work out inner, upper or lower seperately???

If so how do I make that cave less visible? My chest keeps getting bigger, making the cave more pronounced :frown: HELP!
get fat

that way people wont be able to see your ribcage to notice it

I know thats not the answer you want to hear, but as you yourself have said "My chest keeps getting bigger, making the cave more pronounced", so why would getting bigger still reverse it
1. Sort your posture out, bad posture makes p.e look so much worse, and is a symptom of it.

2. Go on a bulk, get big and strong. Working out wont just filll it in, but you will look a hell of a lot better big and muscular with a bit of a dipped chest, than skinnyfat with a dipped chest. Dont just concentrate on chest, work your full body throughout the week.

3. Sort your confidence, so that regardless of ow your chest looks, you are content with it. Mine is pretty noticable with slight flared ribs at the bottom too, but half the girls i've met havent actually noticed, and the rest are more interested than anything else, it certainly isnt a barrier.
If you live in the UK you might consider surgery as its free on the NHS.
Different surgery methods and before/after photos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXqxLrxK2vw

Depending on the severity of the PE, it is often impossible to improve appearance with muscle building as, the muscles are in the wrong place and thus building them will just make the anomaly more pronounced.

The only way this works is if the PE is mild and symmetrical.

Without surgery treatment the only ways to improve looks are to improve posture, such as broom twists and dumbell flys. These and breathing exercises may also help to push the sternum out over time.

There is also the vacuum bell, which pushes the chest out temporarily (2-3 hours). Some people suggest that over long periods such as 6 months plus of daily use, this can help.

I really do think surgery is worth it though!

Quick Reply

Latest