Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting a bike after having a car for over a year. I have a full car licence, but my licence is only good for driving a car (and a ped). But I need Class A (I think) to drive a bike, and it's not currently on my licence.

So yeah, my question is how do I add it on, and how much would it cost?

Also, any tips on how to get cheaper bike insurance? ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamC)
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting a bike after having a car for over a year. I have a full car licence, but my licence is only good for driving a car (and a ped). But I need Class A (I think) to drive a bike, and it's not currently on my licence.

So yeah, my question is how do I add it on, and how much would it cost?

Also, any tips on how to get cheaper bike insurance? ^_^
    For cheap insurance it's gotta be...

http://www.thebikeinsurer.tv/

They guarantee to beat any quote.

To get your bike license you have to do CBT, bike theory, mod 1 and mod 2.
    More info in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1446138

Then ask follow up questions in that thread as you'll get more/better replies...

ReputationRep:
    personally, id just do the CBT and get a 125 bike (and i did)
    then move to a bigger bike in 6-12 months.
    for an idea of cost, for me (at 17, Yamaha SR125, L-plates):
    £300 for the bike (it was about as far from reliable as you can get )
    £260 TPO insurance
    £120 CBT
    £100 jacket
    £50 helmet
    £50 gloves
    £50 boots
    £70 trousers (i didn't have these on my 125, came off, and had pices of road pulled from my knee*, you do want them)
    Total: £1000 (ish) bare in mind that these are the minimum costs, you really want to spend more if you can.

*this sounds a lot worse then it was

ReputationRep:
    Your paper bit of the license should have provisional entitlement to enable you to learn to ride the bike. Costs of the test are in the enormous first post i spent writing out, which also includes gear.

No set rule for insurance, i swear by express, others have different methods.

Go read the first post of the motorbike soc, i spent ages writing it, so won't add any more unless you think i've left something off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.