Turn on thread page Beta

Afew questions regarding bikes. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting a bike after having a car for over a year. I have a full car licence, but my licence is only good for driving a car (and a ped). But I need Class A (I think) to drive a bike, and it's not currently on my licence.

So yeah, my question is how do I add it on, and how much would it cost?

Also, any tips on how to get cheaper bike insurance? ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamC)
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting a bike after having a car for over a year. I have a full car licence, but my licence is only good for driving a car (and a ped). But I need Class A (I think) to drive a bike, and it's not currently on my licence.

So yeah, my question is how do I add it on, and how much would it cost?

Also, any tips on how to get cheaper bike insurance? ^_^
    For cheap insurance it's gotta be...

http://www.thebikeinsurer.tv/

They guarantee to beat any quote.

To get your bike license you have to do CBT, bike theory, mod 1 and mod 2.
    More info in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1446138

Then ask follow up questions in that thread as you'll get more/better replies...

ReputationRep:
    personally, id just do the CBT and get a 125 bike (and i did)
    then move to a bigger bike in 6-12 months.
    for an idea of cost, for me (at 17, Yamaha SR125, L-plates):
    £300 for the bike (it was about as far from reliable as you can get )
    £260 TPO insurance
    £120 CBT
    £100 jacket
    £50 helmet
    £50 gloves
    £50 boots
    £70 trousers (i didn't have these on my 125, came off, and had pices of road pulled from my knee*, you do want them)
    Total: £1000 (ish) bare in mind that these are the minimum costs, you really want to spend more if you can.

*this sounds a lot worse then it was

ReputationRep:
    Your paper bit of the license should have provisional entitlement to enable you to learn to ride the bike. Costs of the test are in the enormous first post i spent writing out, which also includes gear.

No set rule for insurance, i swear by express, others have different methods.

Go read the first post of the motorbike soc, i spent ages writing it, so won't add any more unless you think i've left something off.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.