The Student Room Group

Urgent help... A2 english language inviestigation coursework ?

Ok, so I know I'm a little late in doing it but I've been off... I was thinking of doing my english language investigation on how stereotypical media portayals of men apply to men's magazines i.e. FHM, focussing on language and gender. Would this be a good idea ? plus I'm no too sure on the frameworks that you could do for this or how to go about writing it :confused:
Any suggestions/help ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Why not try something like this but with data from men's and women's mags, or the ads from them at least?

Lexical, semantic and grammatical frameworks are most useful, but wider discourses about gender (some background from Lia Litoselliti's Language and Gender, Jane Sunderland's Language & Gender: an advanced resource book, the NT textbook) and a touch of graphology should help.

You're cutting it fine though, but you know that already...
Reply 2
Original post by merkatron
Why not try something like this but with data from men's and women's mags, or the ads from them at least?

Lexical, semantic and grammatical frameworks are most useful, but wider discourses about gender (some background from Lia Litoselliti's Language and Gender, Jane Sunderland's Language & Gender: an advanced resource book, the NT textbook) and a touch of graphology should help.

You're cutting it fine though, but you know that already...

I'm on the WJEC board if that makes any difference, but do you think an investigation into how women's/mens's mags help reinforce gender stereotypes would be a better idea then ? It's only 1600 word essay so do you think just men or women mags alone would be better ?

Also don't mean to be a pain, but if you could expand on the frameworks a little and be more specific on what sort of thinkgs I could write about it would help a lot :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by dosvidaniya
I'm on the WJEC board if that makes any difference,

Maybe, but if it's LG3 from here it's pretty similar to AQA B.

but do you think an investigation into how women's/mens's mags help reinforce gender stereotypes would be a better idea then ?

It's not a great one to do in my experience, because it's something you can't prove. I mean I used to read Loaded as a twenty-something but I'm still a feminist... Why not set yourself a hypothesis that you can actually test like the one in the link from before - something about differences in language between two sets of ads (male grooming products versus female beauty products) - or similar? Investigations that try to prove the unprovable are almost always pony.

It's only 1600 word essay so do you think just men or women mags alone would be better ?
Maybe best to have a comparison - gives you a structure straight away and allows from some conclusions about language and audience

Also don't mean to be a pain, but if you could expand on the frameworks a little and be more specific on what sort of thinkgs I could write about it would help a lot :biggrin:

Well, if I didn't have a day job I could probably help, but that would take too long. Why not have a peak at the NT textbooks for AQA A and B down your local shop and have a look at the frameworks used in those for language investigations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending