Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is learning a new skill as an adult really that difficult? watch

I keep being reminded of how much easier to pick things up it is when you're a child. I was wondering if this was negatively proportional when adult. I'm planning on taking up the cello at age 20. Is it possible to become as proficient over time to a similar extent had I taken it up as a child? I don't mind if it takes longer, my main concern is whether my upper skill threshold will have suffered significantly with age.

Thank you .

typically the brains frontal lobe (and i suspect other parts as well) stop developing at age 24 or so, so it does become a little harder picking up skills, compared to when you were younger. but dont worry, it doesnt mean you stop learning altogether. keep at it with the cello, and dont think about how fast or slow you should be picking it up.

good luck!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.