Turn on thread page Beta

My housemate hardly ever showers watch

ReputationRep:
    I live in a house with four other students one of whom is, to put it bluntly, smelly.
    He went six weeks without taking a shower and only just showered last week after a mutual friend spoke to him about it and told him that he should really shower every other day at least. He took one shower the day she told him about this, but he hasn't showered again since and it's been five days now.
    He's really awkward and weird, he doesn't really get along with any of us very well and he spends a lot his time with other friends, who don't seem to notice/care about his BO.
    I wouldn't mind the smell as much, except he often sits in rooms for ages and listens to us all talking and doesn't say anything. Sometimes he comes into my friends room while we are on his computer and doesn't announce himself and we don't realise he's there until we smell him.
    We all really wanted to say something to him, but we knew he would probably get very defensive, since he does about everything else. He took it really well when our friend told him about showering but the message doesn't seem to have gone in. None of the people that live in the house have said anything to him about showering, so I don't feel that I can bring it up with him if he falls back into not showering, but I don't think my friend will want to talk to him again.
    I seriously have no idea why someone would go so long without showering and none of us know what to do to make him keep an appropriate level of hygiene, since he doesn't wash his hands when he goes to he toilet either.
    We get through oust at about five times the normal rate because we don't want the house to smell bad when other people come to visit.
    Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I think you will just have to sit him down and talk to him about it. His own BO and unhygienic ways don't seem to bother him so he's unlikely to change unless you tell him how much it bothers all of you, for your own sake as well as his.

ReputationRep:
    You need to talk to him about it. Stop worrying about his feelings/pride because in terms of hygiene your comfort and health is far more important.

It's bad enough that he doesn't shower but he MUST wash his hands after using the toilet otherwise his dirty hands will be everywhere (door handles, surfaces etc) and you could all catch diarrhea/worms/food poisoning.

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious.
    I think you should throw a bucket of lukewarm water on him every morning until he either moves out or showers on his own.
    I give it four days max.

ReputationRep:
    We had a guy who did this at work. He stank so bad and looked so skanky. Boss just had a firm word with him and said 'Look, shower more often, your hygiene is not good enough to work with the public'.

Just sit him down, with all your house mates and give him an ultimatum. Shower, or we start confining you to your room, you smelly git. It's not fair.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how he doesnt want to feel fresh and clean..

Yeah you really need to sit him down and tell him everything, and ask him why he does it/why he thinks it's acceptable to not shower

ReputationRep:
    At least youre saving on the water bill!

But seriously, I think you should talk to him and just tell him bluntly that he needs to shower more often. It will be excruciatingly embarassing, but then the situation will get better for all of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCheese)
    I live in a house with four other students one of whom is, to put it bluntly, smelly.
    He went six weeks without taking a shower and only just showered last week after a mutual friend spoke to him about it and told him that he should really shower every other day at least. He took one shower the day she told him about this, but he hasn't showered again since and it's been five days now.
    He's really awkward and weird, he doesn't really get along with any of us very well and he spends a lot his time with other friends, who don't seem to notice/care about his BO.
    I wouldn't mind the smell as much, except he often sits in rooms for ages and listens to us all talking and doesn't say anything. Sometimes he comes into my friends room while we are on his computer and doesn't announce himself and we don't realise he's there until we smell him.
    We all really wanted to say something to him, but we knew he would probably get very defensive, since he does about everything else. He took it really well when our friend told him about showering but the message doesn't seem to have gone in. None of the people that live in the house have said anything to him about showering, so I don't feel that I can bring it up with him if he falls back into not showering, but I don't think my friend will want to talk to him again.
    I seriously have no idea why someone would go so long without showering and none of us know what to do to make him keep an appropriate level of hygiene, since he doesn't wash his hands when he goes to he toilet either.
    We get through oust at about five times the normal rate because we don't want the house to smell bad when other people come to visit.
    Any ideas?
    I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Euw haha
    Just tell him
    You stink
    Just kidding
    Do as sugessted previously, and explain

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said earlier , its best you take him and sit down , give him a nice talk showing a bit of concern , he ll take it in . I cant imagine someone going even 2 days without showering , but you re talking of 6 weeks ? That must be hard for you and your housemates ...good luck but i m sure he ll change .

ReputationRep:
    six weeks?!thats just awful- cant imagine the stench
    youre going to have to sit him down and just be blunt.do it as a house.its for his own good at the end of the day!!

ReputationRep:
    We have talked about sitting him down and talking to him about it, but my housemates just think it might seem like we're ganging up on him and annoying as he is, I don't want to really embarrass him in front of all of us. I think it would make it really awkward and alienate him even more. I want to tell him, but if he didn't listen to our friend telling him, I don't know if all of us telling him will help. I'm just really trying to think of a way that might get through to him but not seem mean.
    I mean, if he doesn't when we come back for exams after Easter, I think one of my other housemates might just yell at him, which would be pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCheese)
    We have talked about sitting him down and talking to him about it, but my housemates just think it might seem like we're ganging up on him and annoying as he is, I don't want to really embarrass him in front of all of us. I think it would make it really awkward and alienate him even more. I want to tell him, but if he didn't listen to our friend telling him, I don't know if all of us telling him will help. I'm just really trying to think of a way that might get through to him but not seem mean.
    I mean, if he doesn't when we come back for exams after Easter, I think one of my other housemates might just yell at him, which would be pretty bad.
    This might be a stupid idea but it may give you some better ideas---> You could do a kind of shower rota or something, as in do a timetable of the week where everyone marks down when they are going to be taking their showers (in the pretence that then everyone else will know when they can't use the bathroom) and then pass it round and get everyone to put on when they are going in and then get him to put his times down, and if he doesn't stick to it, ask him "weren't you meant to be taking a shower now?"

Other than this, you could talk to one of his friends and ask them to have a word or something? Or as others have said, you will need to talk to him, maybe you could bring up a pretend news story where someone died because they didn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, try to scare him, because maybe he doesn't realise how important hygiene is. And then say, OMG i am going to be scrubbing myself clean for ages now because i don't want to die, to try to scare him a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    I lol'd
    Your sig! My, I haven't seen that guy for months.

Take pity on some of my friends, they live with a guy who washes his clothes at the end of every term. What's worse, he only has about 2 pairs of trousers and 5 t-shirts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.