Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I suffer from Student Syndrome, what is the cure? watch

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from a documented syndrome, the "Student Syndrome..

For example, I spend most of my time nervously avoiding what I have to do later. Obviously this includes academic work, but also things like washing up, shopping etc. When I was supposed to be starting an assignment on Vector Geometry yesterday for this morning, I spent half the time online fragging and shooting people in the head on Crysis 2.

A lot of my time is nervously wasted, how can I stop this?

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don’t. You’re just lazy like the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    Student Syndrome is just a fancy way of saying 'procrastinating'.

ReputationRep:
    How can you stop this?

Fail your exams. That might get you in a working mood.

ReputationRep:
    Chuck away all your games and get off TSR...

ReputationRep:
    Get a job.

ReputationRep:
    So, you procrastinate. Welcome to the club, there's only you and all the rest of the site bar maybe 3.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's a brilliant excuse, well done.

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but you definitely wanna sort yourself out. I have had to stay on an extra year doing A levels as I had "Student Syndrome" oooooops!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this what pretty much every student does? Well ok, perhaps not as late as you've left it. Are you going to be able to complete it in time?

ReputationRep:
    Timetable everything then kick a puppy every time you miss a deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Also known as its not so scientific name "lazyitis"

ReputationRep:
    Well someone has to get 2.2s, don't they?

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate procrastination. For some reason, I keep making tea whenever I hit a brick wall in revision. I wish I was cooler than that.

Just remind yourself of narrowing time limits and then realise the best way is to just get on with it and try. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda 'suffered' from this but I manned the **** up. What's the point in worrying? It's not gonna help ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)

For example, I spend most of my time nervously avoiding what I have to do later. Obviously this includes academic work, but also things like washing up, shopping etc. When I was supposed to be starting an assignment on Vector Geometry yesterday for this morning, I spent half the time online fragging and shooting people in the head on Crysis 2.

You're procrastinating sonny Jim. You're putting tasks of less value ABOVE tasks with high value.
    Only way to overcome is to lock yourself in your room and remove all ipods, tv, computer etc - and then try to do your work. Will be hard at first but you're not a quitter are you?

ReputationRep:
    Stop procrastinating and just do it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well for me, when an assigment is due I just think how I'd feel if on the night before it was due in I hadn't done it, the nervousness you start to feel n'all that. Thinking about how I'd feel really puts my ass into gear! I hate leaving stuff to do at the last min, I'm usually really organised when it comes to college work so I try and get any assigned work done asap.

I think the shopping and washing up part comes down to laziness but about the HW bit just think how you'd feel if you left it really late to do, maybe that'll help you get it done asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)

If you do get on and do one of these things (particularly things like cleaning your room) you'll realise it actually took like 5 minutes AND made you feel better about yourself, made your head clearer. I expect your head is foggy all the time and so you can't be bothered to do anything as it all seems like a right slog.

This fog is latent worry. Think of worry as you would think of interest on a credit card. You really do want to pay it off in full every month, otherwise you're throwing money into a black hole.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.